• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PLEASE HELP

RattlesnakeJahon

imported post

IJUST figured out all this open carry stuff in California and was previously completely unaware of this. I had several questions that I really need cleared up even though I read all the sections and laws. First, I'm 18, can I legally open carry here in California? Second, can I have a loaded magazine on me but not in the gun? I frequently go out looking for rattlesnakes, as you can tell by my name I love rattlesnakes, and I'm out in the wilderness ALL THE TIME and it would be comforting to have a gun on me. Before any of you ask, at 18 years old you can legally own and possess a handgun. I would even appreciate it more if somebody would give me their number so I can talk to them about this new thing I figured out. Thanks all and have a great day!

demnogis

imported post

Welcome to OCDO's California forum RattleSnakeJahon! I believe most all of the information you will need to get started Open Carrying is on http://www.californiaopencarry.org. There's also this thread which has the UOC Pamphlet. There's a series of videos that Pullnshoot25 also made that help learn you the basics. You can find the playlist here on youtube.

The first issue to address, though, is that you are 18. Technically you are "under age" to purchase a handgun in CA. One can be "inherited" and/or "lent" to you, but I think you will need a valid Handgun Safety Certificate for it to be lent to you. But! There are still options for rifles! To purchase and own a rifle one only need be 18 years of age. Although, should you choose to UOC a rifle, it stand out quite a bit more.

Keeping in mind that you mentioned you were in the wilderness areas quite often. The CA Penal Code 12031 prohibits possession of loaded firearms in public -- rifles and handguns -- with a few exemptions. One of which is that you can legally possess a firearm in unincorporated areas where there are no discharge or load prohibitions in that county. Examples would be Kern County, National Forest areas (not National Parks!) and BLM land.

Keeping loaded mags on your person also carries a few restrictions. For instance, you cannot carry a loaded magazine concealed on your person if you have a firearm for which that magazine or rounds go to. Speedloaders do not count. Most of us have double-mag pouches that attach to a belt.

I'm sure you'll have plenty more questions. Feel free to post them up or send some of the "veteran" Open Carriers here a private message. The CA Penal Code is the guidebook which you don't want to go against. Read up and carry on!

Speaking of which... I thought we had a "UOC Noobie thread" in this forum...

mjones

imported post

demnogis wrote:
The first issue to address, though, is that you are 18. Technically you are "under age" to own a handgun in CA.
Sorry demnogis, that is incorrect. It is perfectly legal to own a handgun in CA at age 18. He is only prohibited from purchasing a handgun before he turns 21.

SouthBayr

imported post

demnogis wrote:
Welcome to OCDO's California forum RattleSnakeJahon! I believe most all of the information you will need to get started Open Carrying is on http://www.californiaopencarry.org. There's also this thread which has the UOC Pamphlet. There's a series of videos that Pullnshoot25 also made that help learn you the basics. You can find the playlist here on youtube.

The first issue to address, though, is that you are 18. Technically you are "under age" to own a handgun in CA. But! As for lawful There are still options for rifles! To purchase and own a rifle one only need be 18 years of age. Although, should you choose to UOC a rifle, it stand out quite a bit more.

Keeping in mind that you mentioned you were in the wilderness areas quite often. The CA Penal Code 12031 prohibits possession of loaded firearms in public -- rifles and handguns -- with a few exemptions. One of which is that you can legally possess a firearm in unincorporated areas where there are no discharge or load prohibitions in that county. Examples would be Kern County, National Forest areas (not National Parks!) and BLM land.

Keeping loaded mags on your person also carries a few restrictions. For instance, you cannot carry a loaded magazine concealed on your person if you have a firearm for which that magazine or rounds go to. Speedloaders do not count. Most of us have double-mag pouches that attach to a belt.

I'm sure you'll have plenty more questions. Feel free to post them up or send some of the "veteran" Open Carriers here a private message. The CA Penal Code is the guidebook which you don't want to go against. Read up and carry on!

Speaking of which... I thought we had a "UOC Noobie thread" in this forum...
What is the legal age then? N/M, you beat me to it.

demnogis

imported post

See, we all learn new things every day! Thanks for the clarification mjones.

mjones wrote:
demnogis wrote:
The first issue to address, though, is that you are 18. Technically you are "under age" to own a handgun in CA.
Sorry demnogis, that is incorrect. It is perfectly legal to own a handgun in CA at age 18. He is only prohibited from purchasing a handgun before he turns 21

Robin47

imported post

Welcome Rattlessnakejahon to the forum and OCing.

Demnogis did bring up a good point on Rifles, I never thought of it much till now.

What if we were to OC Rifles, Im thinking that might be even more of a message.

Man with a rifle calls ! MWAR ! :lol: Whats the diff- Rifle or Pistol there both guns !

Might help the cause, to see more rifles also.

Im thinking being as I shoot muzzle loaders before and had a possibles bag that goes with it Gee I might be able to carry around 50 rounds of 30-30.

I would have to make the bag where, it was visable so the rounds could be seen through the bag. "Not Concealed".

I remember in this town 50 years ago, we had our 30-30's with loaded magazines in the gun racks in our trucks. No rounds in the chamber (No Problems).

Rattlesnakejahon just remember not to go neer school zones, you must be 1000 feet from the property line, also you can't go in to the post offices, or any government buildings.

Yes you have to be 21 to buy a handgun, but not to own one, or borrow one from Dad ETC. Christmas is coming soon !

LOL ! Robin47

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

demnogis wrote:
Most of us have double-mag pouches that attach to a belt.
Mag holsters. Stick the loaded magazine in, pull it out if you ever need it.

Legend_AB

imported post

Welcome RattlesnakeJahon.

You keep your loaded magazines in mag pouches on your belt.

And Robin47, your ammo bag wouldn't need to be clear, only pistol magazines cannot be concealed.

Robin47

imported post

The loaded mags for a pistol, I carry on another slide in pouch on my left side

while the auto pistol I carry on the other side. Just like the picture of the lady on

the front of Opencarry .org

A rifle if you were talking about the bag, Its kind of like a lady's purse, in muzzle loading you have a bag to carry your stuff in.

As for the 30-30 rifle, there big rounds and you would need a bag or a Bandelaro

to carry you bullets in. What a kick ! Ha- Ha.

The magazine on a 30-30 runs along the barrel, and you would have to keep that unloaded I believe. With all the dumb laws they have in California.

Gee I do like the Bandelaro Idea ! Robin47 :celebrate

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Legend_AB wrote:
Welcome RattlesnakeJahon.

You keep your loaded magazines in mag pouches on your belt.

And Robin47, your ammo bag wouldn't need to be clear, only magazines cannot be concealed.

Magazines cannot be concealed when they are an integral part of a concealable firearm. If the long gun is not a concealable firearm than a magazine is not an integral part of a concealable firearm.

I would say therefore that the case law that made handgun mags illegal to conceal does not apply to rifles.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
Magazines cannot be concealed when they are an integral part of a concealable firearm. If the long gun is not a concealable firearm than a magazine is not an integral part of a concealable firearm.

I would say therefore that the case law that made handgun mags illegal to conceal does not apply to rifles.
Correct; since 12025 only applies to "concealable" firearms (short guns), there is no way Hale could be construed to apply to long gun mags.

Winter is coming; get your trench coats and rifle slings ready.