• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I need a basic guide to MI open carry

gmreplay

imported post

I'm considering open carrying, but I do not have a CCW permit. If I was to open carry, say at the gas station while pumping gas, how would I go about transporting and getting my weapon in a legal fashion?

Thanks!

Yooper

imported post

Read the "Wash, Rinse, Repeat" section. Should have just about everything you need to know. If you still have questions, this is the most informative forum on the internet to get your questions resolved.

gmreplay

imported post

I read that article and found it very informative. However, I'm asking more about just how I get the gun from my trunk to my holster without breaking the law or wasting time. Any other general tips or peculiarities of Michigan law are also welcome.

Yooper

imported post

Michigan's law on brandishing essentially says that you have to be waiving it around, or doing something negligent. Removing it from you car, loading it, and putting it in your holster is completely legal.

Perhaps someone knows the statue, or AG opinion off the top of their head, I'll see if I can find it.

Yooper

imported post

Oh, as far as the gas station goes, either pay at the pump, or make sure they don't sell ANY alcohol. You can't carry ANYWHERE that serves alcohol without a CPL.

I don't know about down there, but up here some gas stations are finally starting to get the "pay at the pump" pumps.

gmreplay

imported post

Absolutely, I always pay at the pump, but my issue is with having to spent 5 minutes retrieving and replacing my gun into and out of the trunk when it only takes me 3 minutes to get gas. It's a shame the law prevents open carry in the car without a CCW.

autosurgeon

imported post

You really should start here. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html

Wash Rinse Repeat is for once you have read everything in the link I posted 50 times and memorized it and are now ready to OC ... :lol:

Seriously most of the pertaining laws and AG opinions are mentioned or Cited in the thread I posted the link to.

After you read that fire away with your questions!

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Here is the AG opinion on brandishing:

BRANDISHING Opinion No. 7101 February 6, 2002: …In the absence of any reported Michigan appellate court decisions defining "brandishing," it is appropriate to rely upon dictionary definitions…..the term brandishing is defined as: "1. To wave or flourish menacingly, as a weapon. 2. To display ostentatiously. A menacing or defiant wave or flourish." This definition comports with the meaning ascribed to this term by courts of other jurisdictions…the court recognized that in federal sentencing guidelines, "brandishing" a weapon is defined to mean "that the weapon was pointed or waved about, or displayed in a threatening manner." Applying these definitions to your question, it is clear that a reserve police officer, regardless whether he or she qualifies as a "peace officer," when carrying a handgun in a holster in plain view, is not waving or displaying the firearm in a threatening manner. Thus, such conduct does not constitute brandishing a firearm in violation of section 234e of the Michigan Penal Code. It is my opinion, therefore, that…by carrying a handgun in a holster that is in plain view, does not violate section 234e of the Michigan Penal Code, which prohibits brandishing a firearm in public.

The Wash/Rinse/Repeat thread, and the Michigan Open Carry Info threads are loaded with most everything you need to know. Learn it all inside and out before you carry without a CPL.

Remember, ANY place which sells alcohol is OFF LIMITS without a CPL. This includes many Walmart, and Meijer stores, convenience stores, many gas stations. It even goes so far as to say the place only has to be licensed to sell alcohol. That means that if it's licensed, even if they don't sell it (how often does that happen?), you can't carry there without a CPL.

Lots to learn, lots of pitfalls. Be very diligent, and very, very careful.

Denny

imported post

Remember, ANY place which sells alcohol is OFF LIMITS without a CPL. This includes many Walmart, and Meijer stores, convenience stores, many gas stations. It even goes so far as to say the place only has to be licensed to sell alcohol. That means that if it's licensed, even if they don't sell it (how often does that happen?), you can't carry there without a CPL.

Yeah, I've always wondered how the heck anyone is supposed to know that:?

Bronson

imported post

Denny wrote:

Yeah, I've always wondered how the heck anyone is supposed to know that:?

http://www2.dleg.state.mi.us/llist/

You can search for all the liquor licenses in any given MI county.

Bronson