Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: NRA recruits San Franciscans to overturn gun-control laws

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego County, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    1,402

    Post imported post

    http://www.sfweekly.com/2009-10-14/n...n-control-laws (2 pages)

    It's an hour before dawn, and Espanola Jackson, a 76-year-old activist known for her leading role in antidevelopment battles, is awoken by a clunk coming from the kitchen of her house, five blocks east of Candlestick Park. She sits up in her bed, takes a pair of keys out of her nightstand drawer, and steps softly toward her gun cabinet. While struggling with the lock, she hears footsteps growing louder.
    Miles away from Jackson's Hunters Point home, San Francisco residents Therese Marie Pizzo and her domestic partner are on an out-of-state vacation. Two red-faced men approach them, laughing, taunting, asking menacing questions about the women's hair and clothes. Pizzo imagines reaching into her jacket to pull out a loaded pistol, but she's carrying only a pocketknife. She grabs her partner's forearm and steps back.
    These scenes are fantasies. But they're based on fears described in legal complaints filed on behalf of real-life city residents Jackson and Pizzo, who are plaintiffs in separate but similar anti-gun-control lawsuits against San Francisco filed recently in federal court. Jackson is an elderly woman who keeps handguns in her home for self-defense "and other lawful purposes," according to a lawsuit filed on behalf of Jackson and several co-plaintiffs, including the National Rifle Association. Pizzo and her partner enjoy taking trips out of California; she says she applied for a concealed weapon permit to protect her against bigoted hicks, but was brushed off by the San Francisco sheriff's office. Pizzo's suit was filed by independent gun-control opponent Gary Gorski, an attorney in Fair Oaks.
    Lots of busted myths towards the end.

    And there is an open comments section: http://www.sfweekly.com/feedback/add/1707083/

  2. #2
    Regular Member mjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SoCal, , USA
    Posts
    979

    Post imported post

    Unfortunately Gary Gorksi doesn't exactly have a great track record for strategically helping the 2a cause in CA.

    I know you aren't a CalGuns fan, but they've got allot to say about him over there.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego County, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    1,402

    Post imported post

    mjones wrote:
    Unfortunately Gary Gorksi doesn't exactly have a great track record for strategically helping the 2a cause in CA.

    I know you aren't a CalGuns fan, but they've got allot to say about him over there.
    I know. I saw it all when I was over there.

    I'd have to check again, but I think Gorski's the only lawyer of record they mentioned, strategically. Pretty sure he's not doing Jackson v SF too.

  4. #4
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,748

    Post imported post

    Hmm...that's weird. I thought the locking up your guns thing was part of the prop H challenge that the NRA won. Hmm...in that case I'd just like to publicly state that I totally lock up my guns and comply fully with any and all gun laws that city hall has passed. Totally.

  5. #5
    Regular Member mjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SoCal, , USA
    Posts
    979

    Post imported post

    bigtoe416 wrote:
    Hmm...that's weird. I thought the locking up your guns thing was part of the prop H challenge that the NRA won. Hmm...in that case I'd just like to publicly state that I totally lock up my guns and comply fully with any and all gun laws that city hall has passed. Totally.
    I would too if it wasn't for a tragic boating accident...maybe someday I'll have firearms again...

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,098

    Post imported post

    "Pizzo and her partner enjoy taking trips out of California; she says she applied for a concealed weapon permit to protect her against bigoted hicks, but was brushed off by the San Francisco sheriff's office."



    Valid reason, sure, but I certainly hope the phrasing was artistic licence from the author...!

    Face-palm...



    Edit: I finished reading the rest of the article. What an anti piece of tripe.


  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    560

    Post imported post

    It's interesting how not a single comment was in support of the author or their point of view. I'd add one myself, but it would be a bit redundant since nobody agrees with Mr. Matt Smith in the first place.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fresno, California, USA
    Posts
    60

    Post imported post

    It seemed to start out decent enough, and then slowly devolved into the author trying to say what many people know to be false - that the 2A is about militias.

    Oh, and he seems to have a pretty serious problem with bullets that hurt people. As opposed to - the other kind. The kind that don't "shred flesh", and "kill cops" - kind bullets.

    I'm thinking there's a business opportunity here, HappyAmmunition. They'd be like snap caps, except in soothing pastel colors. They don't send hot metal flying towards anyone you might not want to hurt, and they don't even go boom! The kindest, most gentle, ammunition you've ever used.

    Now available with hand lotion and 2 different scents! Illinois and DC(sorry, DC scent no longer available. We apologize for the convenience.)

  9. #9
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Sons of Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Riverside, California, USA
    Posts
    638

    Post imported post

    Captain_Awesome wrote:
    It seemed to start out decent enough, and then slowly devolved into the author trying to say what many people know to be false - that the 2A is about militias.

    Oh, and he seems to have a pretty serious problem with bullets that hurt people. As opposed to - the other kind. The kind that don't "shred flesh", and "kill cops" - kind bullets.

    I'm thinking there's a business opportunity here, HappyAmmunition. They'd be like snap caps, except in soothing pastel colors. They don't send hot metal flying towards anyone you might not want to hurt, and they don't even go boom! The kindest, most gentle, ammunition you've ever used.

    Now available with hand lotion and 2 different scents! Illinois and DC(sorry, DC scent no longer available. We apologize for the convenience.)
    I smell a Nobel Peace Prize!
    Clinging to God & Guns: The Constitution Restoration Project

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Riverside County, California, USA
    Posts
    353

    Post imported post

    N6ATF wrote:
    http://www.sfweekly.com/2009-10-14/n...n-control-laws (2 pages)

    Pizzo and her partner enjoy taking trips out of California; she says she applied for a concealed weapon permit to protect her against bigoted hicks, but was brushed off by the San Francisco sheriff's office.
    I guess that clarifies who the real bigoted hicks are.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •