• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

3rd Monthly UOC Meetup in SoCal

coolusername2007

imported post

Our 2nd monthly meetup in Temecula was a huge success. Now we need location options for our 3rd Monthly Meetup. Based on the last few messages from the 2nd meetup thread, its looking like we're favoring locations in Orange County. So calling all UOC'ers in the OC to put forth your best location options. Anything like Temecula's Old Town would be great!

UPDATE for our 3rd Monthly Meetup

Date: Saturday, Nov. 7th, 9:30am

http://www.yelp.com/biz/nicks-laguna-beach-laguna-beach

Hope to see everyone there! If you're planning on going please post so we have an idea of the head count.

wewd

imported post

Most of the beach areas around Newport are free of school zones. Balboa Pier might be a good spot. Plenty to do there (lots of tourist crap though), we could ride the ferry over to the island and walk around. We should put it on the top of the list. Any day walking around at the beach is a good day.

pullnshoot25

imported post

Make sure the beaches aren't state or county parks if you plan to go on them.

Also, make sure there aren't any ordinances (illegal as they may be) preventing guns on the beach if the beaches aren't state/county parks.

greengum

imported post

I am very interested if this goes down. I have a couple ideas for O.C. Also for the guys who brought up Balboa, I went to school there. It is located on 13th street and the beach so be careful.

1. The Block in Orange. It is across the street from the court house and jails and only a few blocks away from the OC Register.

2. Irvine spectrum.

3. Fashion Island in Newport.

4. The Nixon library!! :p

wewd

imported post

Newport Elementary is well away from where we would be at Balboa pier/island, it's over a mile to the west. As far as those malls go, I agree they would be fun spots to meet up at, but they are private property. Almost surely the management there would ask us to leave, which we would have to oblige, and that would cut our meeting short. You can't be kicked off public streets.

greengum

imported post

If you are looking for something like the Temecula meet, there is Old town Orange. Lots of shops, food, people, and lots of parking as opposed to the beach.

wewd

imported post

Old Town Orange is no-go. There is a K-12 school right there.

coolusername2007

imported post

Bummer. OK so all you who live in Orange Countyplease provide some more ideas for next month's meetup. Wewd and myself do not live there so we are really hoping you guys and gals can help us come up with more ideas.

In the meantime we will research the pier and island a little more. Beaches and piers can be tricky though. So if this location doesn't work out then we'll probably end up having to scratch Orange County if no additional ideas for meetup locations aren't presented here.

oc4ever

imported post

How about pch/laguna canyon road, basically downtown Laguna Beach area. Plenty of businesses/food/shopping and public area right across the street from the main beach. Large amount of foot traffic and a small little (probably soon to be well educated)police department.....just a thought. No schools closeby, the high school appears 2,000 feet away and almost nothing north of the location along PCH for miles. Laguna Beach does not appear to have any municipal codes regarding firearm restrictions in parks(or beach areas), but you all can check for yourselves.

http://www.qcode.us/codes/lagunabeach/

Even better, per the LBMC:

PARKS
18.28.010 General use. Unless otherwise reserved pursuant to this chapter, city parks are available to the public for general active and passive recreational use and constitutionally protected expressive activities in accordance with the design and character of the area being used. No reservations shall be taken for general use of parks. Except as expressly authorized otherwise in this chapter, parks are to be used only with the structures, equipment and other facilities provided by the city. No additional tables, booths, tents or structures may be erected or installed for general use activities. (Ord. 1467 §3, 2007: Ord. 1307 §1, 1995: Ord. 1107 §2 (part), 1986).

The Municipal Code also has special accomidations for the Main beach park; you can get reservations to conduct constitutionally protected activities from the City , and erect structures(booths tables, stages etc.) for 5 days per month with some time restrictions, rules, etc involved.

See: 18.28.015 Main Beach Park.
Well if open carry is not a "constitutionally protected expressive activity" , then nothing else is either.

With this in mind, I believe Heisler Park, a beautiful setting just north, and 2 blocks above the main beach area could be a good place to walk to and conduct whatever gathering you choose after taking a stroll/shopping /eating in downtown.

I am a newbie, but am pissed the new Orange County Sheriff has effectively shut down the CCW availability process(I used to have one years ago) in one of the largest counties in California. This gathering would get attention to this issue.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

How about where the end of the 55 is? There's the famous Goat Hill Tavern there complete with a whole ton of beers on top, the yard house is across the street (although it is in a mallish type structure), behind the yard house there are some food places. You might even be able to get to In-n-out, I think it is around 1200 feet away from a school.

Something around 19th and Harbor, parking can be had in the mallish structure or in parking lot near condom revolution, or in the strip mall next to the mallish structure: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...49,-117.919049&spn=0.010575,0.021007&t=h&z=16

Schools nearby: Pomona Elementary, Everett A. Rea Elementary, St. Joachim Elementary

You could even drive down 19th to Placentia and get some Alejandros carne asada burritos, which I recall being very tasty. That place looks out of range from Whitter Elementary.

If you're down there, I'd recommend visiting Hi-time wines. They have the largest selection of wines and beers. You can get stuff in a keg that others wouldn't even dream of having.

And how do I know all this? I used to live in Costa Mesa in 2003-2004.

oc4ever

imported post

The County parks ordinances usually only apply to County parks. The only county park in Laguna Beach I am aware of is is Aliso Creek Beach Park, along PCH about 3 miles south. The City parks rules are governed by the the City Municipal Code normally.

wewd

imported post

greengum wrote:
wewd wrote:
Old Town Orange is no-go. There is a K-12 school right there.
I don't see one. what is the name of the school?

Project Hope School. It appears to be some kind of charter school for homeless kids, but it's K-12, so it counts. The zone covers the entire Old Town area.

wewd

imported post

oc4ever's suggestion of Laguna Beach looks very promising. The high school there does not cover any of the downtown district, and the only other "school" is a preschool that is part of a church, and doesn't count in the GFSZ. I also really like that code about expressive activities being protected in the parks.