• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

3rd Monthly UOC Meetup in SoCal

greengum

imported post

My little sister will be coming as well if we ever decide on a location. She just turned 16 and like most people had no clue she had any Rights at all. I remember telling her about a year ago that everyone has Rights and she had told me that she didn't because a cop once told her that because she was still a minor she had no Rights at all. Anyways she will be handling all my recording needs. I carry the gun, she carries the tape recorder!

Nopal

imported post

Laguna Beach sounds good. On a related note, the LagunaArt Museum, which iswithin walking distance rightup PCH,is opening a new exhibit on the 8th.

That'd be something to see: A group of armed men walking through the LB art museum on a self-guided tour.

wewd

imported post

Nopal wrote:
A group of armed men

We need to correct this. Guys, if you have wives or special lady friends (or sisters, mothers, daughters, whatever), you need to get them to carry at our meets. Look at the picture at the top of this forum, most of the people carrying there are women! Put some pink grips on your pistols if you need to, anything to get them to strap one on.

oc4ever

imported post

If you guys decide to "pop" Laguna's OC "cherry" with a event/meeting, I sure would not go to the art museum like NOPAL suggested, and rub salt into this situation. If public support is what you want, this would only cause the opposite effect and get all the city officals(read city council and then the cops) against you with basically no positive results. Next time you stepped foot in Laguna, there would be all sorts of new ordinances preventing the open gun freedoms that exist now. Any news reporter could then spin this event easily into a poor result with plenty of scared art musuem patrons making statements, show me the upside to that?

I suggest baby steps, like gathering,staying on public property for the most part, and not invading any private businesses unannounced. I would like to UOC in Laguna in the future, so tread lightly......

coolusername2007

imported post

oc4ever wrote:
How about pch/laguna canyon road, basically downtown Laguna Beach area. Plenty of businesses/food/shopping and public area right across the street from the main beach. Large amount of foot traffic and a small little (probably soon to be well educated)police department.....just a thought. No schools closeby, the high school appears 2,000 feet away and almost nothing north of the location along PCH for miles. Laguna Beach does not appear to have any municipal codes regarding firearm restrictions in parks(or beach areas), but you all can check for yourselves.

http://www.qcode.us/codes/lagunabeach/

Even better, per the LBMC:

PARKS
18.28.010 General use. Unless otherwise reserved pursuant to this chapter, city parks are available to the public for general active and passive recreational use and constitutionally protected expressive activities in accordance with the design and character of the area being used. No reservations shall be taken for general use of parks. Except as expressly authorized otherwise in this chapter, parks are to be used only with the structures, equipment and other facilities provided by the city. No additional tables, booths, tents or structures may be erected or installed for general use activities. (Ord. 1467 §3, 2007: Ord. 1307 §1, 1995: Ord. 1107 §2 (part), 1986).

The Municipal Code also has special accomidations for the Main beach park; you can get reservations to conduct constitutionally protected activities from the City , and erect structures(booths tables, stages etc.) for 5 days per month with some time restrictions, rules, etc involved.

See: 18.28.015 Main Beach Park.
Well if open carry is not a "constitutionally protected expressive activity" , then nothing else is either.

With this in mind, I believe Heisler Park, a beautiful setting just north, and 2 blocks above the main beach area could be a good place to walk to and conduct whatever gathering you choose after taking a stroll/shopping /eating in downtown.

I am a newbie, but am pissed the new Orange County Sheriff has effectively shut down the CCW availability process(I used to have one years ago) in one of the largest counties in California. This gathering would get attention to this issue.

Thanks to all for the possible UOC locations in Orange County. I have done a search of Laguna Beaches municipal codes using the link above. I searched for the terms gun, guns, pistol, pistols, firearm, firearms and did not find any restrictive ordinances.

I also searched for schools using Google Earth's features and find the high school to the east and a Pre-K and K private school to the south. So you would need to essentially remain on PCH and no further south than Legion street. Beyond that, it looks clear to me.

I would have no problems with UOC'ing in this area.

coolusername2007

imported post

wewd wrote:
Nopal wrote:
A group of armed men

We need to correct this. Guys, if you have wives or special lady friends (or sisters, mothers, daughters, whatever), you need to get them to carry at our meets. Look at the picture at the top of this forum, most of the people carrying there are women! Put some pink grips on your pistols if you need to, anything to get them to strap one on.
At the last meetup in Temecula, a couple of us (including me) brought our 4yr old sons. I would like to see more family involvement. So yes, please bring your sons and daughters,wives, sisters, mothers, etc. These are family events after all.

coolusername2007

imported post

oc4ever wrote:
If you guys decide to "pop" Laguna's OC "cherry" with a event/meeting, I sure would not go to the art museum like NOPAL suggested, and rub salt into this situation. If public support is what you want, this would only cause the opposite effect and get all the city officals(read city council and then the cops) against you with basically no positive results. Next time you stepped foot in Laguna, there would be all sorts of new ordinances preventing the open gun freedoms that exist now. Any news reporter could then spin this event easily into a poor result with plenty of scared art musuem patrons making statements, show me the upside to that?

I suggest baby steps, like gathering,staying on public property for the most part, and not invading any private businesses unannounced. I would like to UOC in Laguna in the future, so tread lightly......

The art museum sounds like a nice place to stop and visit. Frequenting private businesses, restaurants, art galleries, and the such certainly is not "rubbing salt" on anything. All private businesses reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. If they don't want our money and patronage we would gladly exit after a respectful conversation with the manager and leaving him/her with some brochures.

We are looking for public locations for our meetups to be sure, so we can't be told to leave the area. But our UOC meetups are not intended toleave usout in the cold, so to speak. Just as in our last meetups, we are very interested in visiting shops and restaurants as we see fit. We are not looking for mall type locations because we can be asked to leave, then our meetup would be over. And standing on street corners isn't the objective either. In this instance, the Laguna Beach location is fine because if one shop asked us to leave would could just move on to the next.

Now having said all this, the art museum may think we'reasecurity risk, but I can't imagine any more so than a bank. And someof us, including myself, have frequented our banks while UOC'ing. So unless, the art exhibit is something totally lame, I'd want to visit it, especially since I've never been there.

ETA: Oh, and by the way, we aren't "invading" anything or anyone. We organize these meetupsto re-introduce guns to the public to demonstrate that upstanding, law-abiding citizens own and carry guns legally and responsibly whichpromotes a polite and peaceful society.

oc4ever

imported post

coolusername2007, I am mostly on the same page as you. I am not saying you should not visit anywhere you want, but certain locations are more sensitive than others. From being a local, I am only suggesting that the Museum is not one place that you are going to further the cause in a positive manor. Disagree all you want, just not every OC situation should be used (like banks,preschools and shopping malls) just because you have the right and can, until the education process of the LEO's and business owners is more complete.

The first time you all show up in a town(especially one you don't live in), some positive education (or negitive conflict) has the possibility to occur. Just hoping that it is a positive an experience for Oc'ers, as well as the people that work and reside locally. Initial insensitivity to the majority that could care less about your right to carrying guns, does not promote tolerance to this cause.

That being said, if this event occurs in Laguna on a weekday afternoon/evening, I want to come, and meet you all. I am aware of all the rules, pitfalls and equipment necessary to sucessfully participate and have another friend that would be interested also.

Nopal

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
wewd wrote:
Nopal wrote:
A group of armed men

At the last meetup in Temecula, a couple of us (including me) brought our 4yr old sons. I would like to see more family involvement. So yes, please bring your sons and daughters,wives, sisters, mothers, etc. These are family events after all.

My oldest daughter told me she would like to come with next time, so I'll bring at least one of my kids. Not sure about bringing all of them. It'd be a handfull.

Nopal

imported post

oc4ever wrote:
coolusername2007, I am mostly on the same page as you. I am not saying you should not visit anywhere you want, but certain locations are more sensitive than others. From being a local, I am only suggesting that the Museum is not one place that you are going to further the cause in a positive manor. Disagree all you want, just not every OC situation should be used (like banks,preschools and shopping malls) just because you have the right and can, until the education process of the LEO's and business owners is more complete.

The first time you all show up in a town(especially one you don't live in), some positive education (or negitive conflict) has the possibility to occur. Just hoping that it is a positive an experience for Oc'ers, as well as the people that work and reside locally. Initial insensitivity to the majority that could care less about your right to carrying guns, does not promote tolerance to this cause.

That being said, if this event occurs in Laguna on a weekday afternoon/evening, I want to come, and meet you all. I am aware of all the rules, pitfalls and equipment necessary to sucessfully participate and have another friend that would be interested also.

Atually, I understand that a few of us OC in malls and banks without much of a problem.

My comment about the Art Museum was sort of tongue-in-cheek, but on second thought, maybe it's not such a bad idea. My older daughter loves art museums, anyway.

Look, I am not a local, but I used to visit the museum a few years back a handful of times per year. Aside from the ocassional liberal-leaning patron, I fail to see what is so unique or special about the place that would make OCing there a bad idea. Plus, it's not hard to call ahead and schedule a group tour. Worse case scenario, they'd say no and just lose our business.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

oc4ever wrote:

This kind of stuff IS the education of LEOs and business owners.

Say the OCers of SoCal walk into the museum and start looking around and are totally normal. Then somebody notices the guns and says something to the person in charge.

Now the person in charge may have assumed that a bunch of people carrying guns in their museum wouldn't be a good thing, maybe they are slightly prejudice against guns in general. But here are visitors of the museum behaving themselves and buying merchandise and making a positive contribution to the museum. Prejudice shattered, educational process started.

Besides, the city officials can pass whatever laws they want regarding the bearing of firearms, and they are all invalid due to preemption. Hopefully the SoCal OCers' actions will futher the acceptance of open carrying in general.

coolusername2007

imported post

oc4ever wrote:

oc4ever, if I haven't said it already, and I don't think I have, welcome to the forum. Glad you're here participating, posting and discussingthe issues surrounding ourliberties.

I am going to assume you haven't UOC'ed yet. If this is not correct, then just ignore. When UOC'ing you'd be really surprised just how few people actually notice. So I can see why you'd think walking intoa museum would be some sort of issue. The reality is that its not, neither are malls, banks, retail stores, restaurants or even childrens' science museums (which is where another and Itook our kids to at the Temecula meetup).

What you call "insensitivity to the majority" is what I call LIBERTY. Under our form of government, a Constitutional Republic (not a democracy), I am soveriegn, as are you, and every other citizen of this great land. This Republic oncehad and is supposed to still haveindividual liberty atits heart so that we are allFREE to reject the majority(aka mob) group think. We are notto be held oppressed by or toany mob rules whatsoever. The problem is our train has run so far off the tracks people don't even know where they are anymore. And that is one major reason why I began the monthly UOC meetups in a variety of locations and counties to educate the People about the truth, no matter how hard it is to swallow.

I recommend you check out these links...

Educational pamphlet I created: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/30635.html

Our form of government: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFXuGIpsdE0&feature=related

Hope to see you at the event. Carry On!

coolusername2007

imported post

UPDATE for our 3rd Monthly Meetup

Date: Saturday, Nov. 7th, 9:30am

http://www.yelp.com/biz/nicks-laguna-beach-laguna-beach

Hope to see everyone there! If you're planning on going please post so we have an idea of the head count. All participants welcome whether UOC'ing or not.

Disclaimer: Remember, it's your sole responsibilityto make sure which areas you can and cannot go while UOC'ing.

oc4ever

imported post

coolusername2007, thank you for the welcome.

Just a bit of backround on me, I used to have a California CCW permit, and let it expire for a few different reasons, mostly at the time, I found it unnecessary in my daily life. With that, several different times over the years I found it necessary to pull my gun,drop the safety, and come really close to taking someones life that was making a very poor criminal decision to attempt to assault me with a weapon . The details don't really matter, lets just say the gun was a deciding deterrent to them not to hurt me. I understand the importance of self defense, and you don't normally get to pick the time and place it will happen.

I have also watched the damage a gun can do, is is a very permanent decision that can't be taken back. When you watch a person die from a gunshot wound, deserved or not, it ain't very pretty as they leave this world. No this is not a Hollywood movie, this is life and death as they fade way and check out forever.

I wholeheartedly agree that citizens have surrendered far to many liberties, and reasserting them peacefully as this group does is fine. This is not a grip at you or anyone else here. I just take exception to asserting those rights without any sensitivity to those majority of citizens around us that want to remain sheep, and follow blindly. From reading many hundreds of post on this forum and others, there seem to be a small minority here that want to assert this gun right with out much regard to their surroundings. Sure you can legally go pick your child up at preschool OC, they have not passed a law against it right? Just all those Moms picking up their babies that saw you OC would vote for gun control bill to ban firearms from preschools as soon as they had the chance. I hope you see my point. The vast majority of OC'ers seem to take a far more mature view and treat it like a privilege that they don't want screwed up. Frankly, I think most rights we have should be enjoyed, not flaunted.

The Orange County Sheriff has made it so damn hard to get a CCW permit, I believe this movement is a natural push back that should be expanded. After suggesting the location as Laguna for the meeting, I will not be in town that weekend. I hope to meet up with you all personally at another time and place in the near future. Laguna is going to be very safe with all of you in town on Saturday,so have fun and be safe.I still suggest you all take a 2 block walk to Heisler Park and enjoy the view from there. You won't be disapointed.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

oc4ever wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree that citizens have surrendered far to many liberties, and reasserting them peacefully as this group does is fine. This is not a grip at you or anyone else here. I just take exception to asserting those rights without any sensitivity to those majority of citizens around us that want to remain sheep, and follow blindly. From reading many hundreds of post on this forum and others, there seem to be a small minority here that want to assert this gun right with out much regard to their surroundings. Sure you can legally go pick your child up at preschool OC, they have not passed a law against it right? Just all those Moms picking up their babies that saw you OC would vote for gun control bill to ban firearms from preschools as soon as they had the chance. I hope you see my point. The vast majority of OC'ers seem to take a far more mature view and treat it like a privilege that they don't want screwed up. Frankly, I think most rights we have should be enjoyed, not flaunted.
Yeah, those gun-rights-flaunters remind me of the negros of the civil rights movement... what were they thinking?! Flaunting their right to sit in a "whites only" restaurant and order food... I mean, sure, it's their right, but they were TOTALLY inconsiderate of the majority's sensibilities...

And what about that one negro that refused to move to the back of the bus?! Rosa 'something' if I remember right... she's lucky the rest of the people on the bus didn't rush to their local elected officials to demand a complete ban of negros on buses!

Some people just can't be trusted to enjoy their rights responsibly... they are too 'in your face" and endanger the rights of the rest of us who are too chicken-shit to live like truly free individuals.

[In case you can't tell, I'm employing sarcasm here.]

Carry on.