• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quesitons regarding DPS-3-Cs and FOI Request

Edward Peruta

imported post

Friday, October 16, 2009[/b]

[align=left][/align]
[align=left]DPS Commissioner John A. Danaher III

DPS Legal Affairs Unit – Sgt. Seth Mancini[/b]

Special License and Firearms Unit – Lt. in Charge c/o Sgt. Douglas Hall[/b]

1111 Country Club Road

Middletown, CT 06457
[/b]

Re: Request for answers to questions and/or Freedom of Information Request for prompt access[/b]

Commissioner Danaher,

To save time and conserve DPS resources, I previously asked the following questions from a Lt. in your department and acknowledge are he was not required or mandated by law to answer.

A simple timely response could have avoided my having to submit this letter/request.
[/b]
To: Hall, Doug
Cc: 'Rachel M. Baird'
Sent: Tue Oct 13 10:25:46 2009[/b]
Subject: Request for Information

To Whom It May Concern:

Attention: Lt. in charge of the Special License and Firearms Unit[/b]

This request is for information regarding the recent mailing of letters to individuals who received authorization numbers and DPS-3-Cs.

How many letters were sent out regarding missing DPS-3-C forms since October 1, 2009?

How many DPS-3-Cs were unaccounted for at the time DPS mailed the letters?

How many authorization numbers are involved with the letters sent?

What is the oldest authorization number where no DPS-3-C was submitted?

When did the situation regarding these missing DPS-3-C forms become known to DPS?

Did DPS receive any DPS-3-Cs that were not properly accounted for upon receipt? (Example: Sept. 12, 2008 fax from Fred Valente)

Has a new letter replaced the one recently sent out to individuals?

Must authorization numbers be obtained and DPS-3-C forms submitted for PRIVATE sales of Long Guns?

[/b]

RESPONSE FROM SGT. HALL
[/b]
Tue 10/13/2009 4:21 PM[/b]

Mr. Peruta,

I am in receipt of your questions relating to a recent bulk mailing by SLFU regarding DPS-3-C forms and discussed those questions with the lieutenant (as that was who you addressed your questions to).

In order to obtain the requested information I suggest that you send a request to the DPS Legal Affairs Unit.

Sincerely,

Sergeant Douglas A. Hall, Esq.
Executive Officer
Connecticut State Police
Special Licensing and Firearms Unit
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT 06457
Tele 860-685-8003
Fax 860-685-8644

Due to the response received from Sgt. Douglas Hall Esq. I am now forced to repeat my questions to your legal affairs unit who I believe will respond in the normal boiler plate manner as usual.[/align][/b]
[align=center]
FREEDOM OF INFORMATION REQUEST[/b][/align]
[align=center]FOR PROMPT ACCESS TO PUBLIC RECORDS[/b][/align]
On the assumption that the questions will NOT be answered, I am submitting my questions in the form of a Freedom of Information[/b] request as follows:

1. Please provide PROMPT[/b] access during normal business hours to ALL[/b] letters and electronic correspondence sent to or received by individuals regarding missing DPS-3-Cs.

2. All internal memorandums or written/electronic correspondence between units in your agency or individuals regarding missing DPS-3-Cs since July 1, 2009.

3. Any and all emails received or sent to members of the public regarding the October 2009 mailing to individuals demanding submission of DPS-3-Cs.

4, A complete list of all problematic firearm authorization numbers which are currently open due to the lack of DPS-3-Cs being submitted to DPS/SLFU.

5. Any and all written or electronic correspondence/documentation regarding missing DPS-3-Cs since the mass mailing by DPS/SLUF to members of the public in October of 2009.

6. All copies of final FOIC orders current located in your department where the Department of Public Safety or any unit of same has been ordered to provide prompt access or strictly comply with provisions of the Connecticut Freedom of Information laws.

This request is made in accordance with the Connecticut Freedom of Information Statutes and all mandates contained in previously issued [/b]Freedom of Information orders and Court decisions where your department has been orders to strictly comply with the Freedom of Information laws regarding PROMPT ACCESS[/b] to public records.

In my absence, I authorize Attorney Rachel Baird to act in my behalf regarding this request and any FOI filings that my be necessary.[/b]

Respectfully,

Edward A. Peruta

edperuta@amcablet.tv

GoldCoaster

imported post

You can hear the squirming going on from here!

At what point do they admit that their system such as it is - is deeply flawed and having a system where sellers to gun shops are not required to send forms in, nor are the buyers it would appear, and then turn around and harass the sellers for what the gunstore management didn't do?