• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another pro-gun letter to editor in the Hudson Observer (WI)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.hudsonstarobserver.com/event/article/id/36244

Defends open/carry
All I can say about Laura Sutton’s letter to the editor (Star-Observer, Oct. 1) regarding Hudson city officials and the open carry picnic in Lakefront Park is “wow.” What an incredibly hostile and ill informed letter that was.

By: Terry Powers, Hudson, Hudson Star-Observer

Dear Editor,

All I can say about Laura Sutton’s letter to the editor (Star-Observer, Oct. 1) regarding Hudson city officials and the open carry picnic in Lakefront Park is “wow.” What an incredibly hostile and ill informed letter that was.

Blaming the mayor and police chief for a completely legal meeting in the park was really interesting. Neither of them contacted the organization and requested they have a picnic here, as she stated. Just not true.

The group asked for a permit to hold a rally here and it was approved. Not sure what the legal ramifications would have been if it was refused, since there is not any illegal activity occurring. Also don’t understand how they, and everyone who may attend that meeting, suddenly became President hating, gun toting Republican TEA Party activist. Quite a stretch of the imagination. She forgot to throw in racists too.

I happen to know a lot of people who own guns and I am pretty sure they are not all far right wing Republicans. Almost 700,000 people deer hunt in Wisconsin each fall. Pretty sure they are not gun fetishists as she said.

It was also really special of her to refer to the elderly people, concerned about government spending and their benefits, who attend the real TEA parties as “the slimy underbelly of what passes for Republicans these days.” Nice.

If she has issue with the legal status of “open carry” in Wisconsin maybe she should complain to Madison instead of berating anyone who may carry out a perfectly legal act in this state. The laws are written and passed there if anyone isn’t clear on that. Better yet maybe she should just move to Minnesota where open carry is illegal. You can only carry concealed weapons there, so you have no idea who is or who is not “packing.”

As far as being a right wing President hater, which I am sure just appalls her, it would have been interesting to ask her what her opinion of President George Bush was a year ago. I kinda think she may have been a President hater too. Just a guess.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
Better yet maybe she should just move to Minnesota where open carry is illegal. You can only carry concealed weapons there, so you have no idea who is or who is not “packing.”
Was a good read, and then he screwed up the Minnesota law. In Minnesota you get a Permit to Carry a Pistol. It doesn't matter if you carry concealed or open, just need a permit to do it.

But good letter otherwise!