• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Went to Court in Houston Yesterday

rodbender

imported post

I went to court on a traffic ticket yesterday. I know that wecan't carry inside a courtroom so I leave my pistol in the pickup so that a BG can break in, steal it, and use it in a crime. It's easier for me to remove the pistol and leave the IWB Bianchi leather holster onmy belt, so this is what I do.

As I approach the metal detectors, I start pulling things like keys, Zippo, and money clip out of my pockets. When I go through the detector, it goes off. The young lady asked me to go back through and as I do it goes off again. She asks about any other metal and I show her my belt buckle and she says, "No, it's not big enough". Then I remember the metal clip on my holster and remove it. She says, "You are not suppose to have these in here". I replied, " What?". She repeats herself. I asked to speak to a supervisor because I'm not sure she is correct.

Mr. Smith, the supervisor tells me that this is true. I asked where it is posted and he replies that there are a lot of things that are prohibited in the building thatare not posted, but I could get in serious trouble with one of the judges if they were to see me withit. I asked if I were to go through the detector without it going off, and a judge sees it, I could get in trouble or at least on the bad side of a judge, to which he replies "Yes".

So, me and my arthritic knees have to go back to my pickup where I leave the holster in the console to keep the 1911 company for about an hour or so.

On my way out, I see Mr. Smith and ask him what other kinds of things are prohibited. He said guns, gun paraphernalia, knives of any size, knife paraphernalia, any obscene material, any t-shirt that has a depiction of a gun or knife, and any t-shirt that has writing with anything relating to gun rightsor the "Second Amendment".

Well, there you have it. The first and second amendment are barred from the Houston Municipal Court Buildings.Another bad thing about thisis, they don't even tell you this until they catch you trying to enterthe building therebybreaking one of the non-posted"Rules".

Hoplophobes abound

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'd certainly want to see something in writing that lists all those things that are not included in Texas law. In fact, I'd press the issue to either get something in writing saying they are prohibitted, and a citation of the authority for such prohibition,or a written statement from the Chief Judge that such items are allowed.

There's your <HINT> - judges are allowed to create what are referred to as "local rules" - but those rules are required to be published.

A nicer letter addressed to The Chief Judge asking him/her for a list of items prohinitted in the court building under local rules might get you further along than an angry letter complaining about whether or not your rights were violated. Then, if the items Mr. Smith mentioned to you are not on the list, you can come to court all rigged out with them and show him the letter.

stay safe.

skidmark

justherenow

imported post

Had a case similar here in Ohio. The security actually confiscated a guys holster, and 2 speed loaders with ammo. Note, its not against the law here to take ammo into court building, but the firearms it is.

rodbender

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Shame on you for being naughty in traffic. :X
As I pay the fine, Igrin and think about all the times I did it and didn't get caught. It makes it much easier to deal with.:)

Aglifter

imported post

A judge has a right to prohibit just about any manner of dress in his court room -- I would suspect that any T-shirt would be prohibited, not just ones w. writing -- Which judge were you going to see? Most of the Houston judges are decent on RTKBA -- admittedly, after the last election, quite a few decent judges lost because so many people just voted a straight ticket.

rodbender

imported post

Aglifter wrote:
A judge has a right to prohibit just about any manner of dress in his court room -- I would suspect that any T-shirt would be prohibited, not just ones w. writing -- Which judge were you going to see? Most of the Houston judges are decent on RTKBA -- admittedly, after the last election, quite a few decent judges lost because so many people just voted a straight ticket.
These were prohibited in the entire building, not just one courtroom.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

rodbender wrote:
....Well, there you have it. The first and second amendment are barred from the Houston Municipal Court Buildings.Another bad thing about thisis, they don't even tell you this until they catch you trying to enterthe building therebybreaking one of the non-posted"Rules".

Hoplophobes abound

Sorry you had to hike it back to the vehicle, rb.

Gee, you could have titled this thread: 1A and 2A banned in Texas.

:p

Opencarry.org banned in Mississippi

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum32/32821.html