• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Went to Court in Houston, Texas Yesterday

rodbender

imported post

I went to court on a traffic ticket yesterday. I know that wecan't carry inside a courtroom so I leave my pistol in the pickup so that a BG can break in, steal it, and use it in a crime. It's easier for me to remove the pistol and leave the IWB Bianchi leather holster onmy belt, so this is what I do.

As I approach the metal detectors, I start pulling things like keys, Zippo, and money clip out of my pockets. When I go through the detector, it goes off. The young lady asked me to go back through and as I do it goes off again. She asks about any other metal and I show her my belt buckle and she says, "No, it's not big enough". Then I remember the metal clip on my holster and remove it. She says, "You are not suppose to have these in here". I replied, " What?". She repeats herself. I asked to speak to a supervisor because I'm not sure she is correct.

Mr. Smith, the supervisor tells me that this is true. I asked where it is posted and he replies that there are a lot of things that are prohibited in the building thatare not posted, but I could get in serious trouble with one of the judges if they were to see me withit. I asked if I were to go through the detector without it going off, and a judge sees it, I could get in trouble or at least on the bad side of a judge, to which he replies "Yes".

So, me and my arthritic knees have to go back to my pickup where I leave the holster in the console to keep the 1911 company for about an hour or so.

On my way out, I see Mr. Smith and ask him what other kinds of things are prohibited. He said guns, gun paraphernalia, knives of any size, knife paraphernalia, any obscene material, any t-shirt that has a depiction of a gun or knife, and any t-shirt that has writing with anything relating to gun rightsor the "Second Amendment".

Well, there you have it. The first and second amendment are barred from the Houston Municipal Court Buildings.Another bad thing about thisis, they don't even tell you this until they catch you trying to enterthe building therebybreaking one of the non-posted"Rules".

Hoplophobes abound

CrossFire

imported post

Amazing, an empty IWB holster is not allowed in the court building. Is this nonsense actually written down somewhere?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

rodbender wrote:
I went to court on a traffic ticket yesterday. I know that wecan't carry inside a courtroom so I leave my pistol in the pickup so that a BG can break in, steal it, and use it in a crime. It's easier for me to remove the pistol and leave the IWB Bianchi leather holster onmy belt, so this is what I do.

As I approach the metal detectors, I start pulling things like keys, Zippo, and money clip out of my pockets. When I go through the detector, it goes off. The young lady asked me to go back through and as I do it goes off again. She asks about any other metal and I show her my belt buckle and she says, "No, it's not big enough". Then I remember the metal clip on my holster and remove it. She says, "You are not suppose to have these in here". I replied, " What?". She repeats herself. I asked to speak to a supervisor because I'm not sure she is correct.

Mr. Smith, the supervisor tells me that this is true. I asked where it is posted and he replies that there are a lot of things that are prohibited in the building thatare not posted, but I could get in serious trouble with one of the judges if they were to see me withit. I asked if I were to go through the detector without it going off, and a judge sees it, I could get in trouble or at least on the bad side of a judge, to which he replies "Yes".

So, me and my arthritic knees have to go back to my pickup where I leave the holster in the console to keep the 1911 company for about an hour or so.

On my way out, I see Mr. Smith and ask him what other kinds of things are prohibited. He said guns, gun paraphernalia, knives of any size, knife paraphernalia, any obscene material, any t-shirt that has a depiction of a gun or knife, and any t-shirt that has writing with anything relating to gun rightsor the "Second Amendment".

Well, there you have it. The first and second amendment are barred from the Houston Municipal Court Buildings.Another bad thing about thisis, they don't even tell you this until they catch you trying to enterthe building therebybreaking one of the non-posted"Rules".

Hoplophobes abound
So how do you think they would react to a T-shirt that said, "Save the trees"?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

It's a shame "the authorities" of Houston can't spend their energies on more important (and criminal) issues, like (1) getting rid of the Katrina trash that still lives there all these years later and (2) then focus on local home-grown trash. Houston could be a lot better place to live if that could be done. But I guess loud-mouth Sheila Jackson would be in their face about it in no time...and that chump Quanell-X as well.

So truth does't belong there, either.

Really...even T-Shirts with "inappropriate" (according to them) images on them? Seems like our "leaders" must arebe aliens as they have no human common-sense whatsoever.

-- John D.

Statesman

imported post

After reading this, I would be embarrassed to live in Texas around so many sissy hoplophobes. I would follow up to find out if these things are in fact prohibited, and lobby to get them unprohibited. This is ridiculous.

paramedic70002

imported post

Read your state code. Someone in VA got busted for having ammo at the metal detector. He disarmed but neglected to remove his extra magazine. Ammo is listed as a prohibited item but not referenced in the code title, which says 'weapon' IIRC.

Daddyo

imported post

rodbender wrote:
I don't think it's exactly illegal, but just a set of "RULES". Which means you can't enter the building.

This very thing has become a massive problem throughout every aspect of government. Agencies making "rules" which then take on the force of law. IRS, the EPA, FCC, even BATF all make rules which thereby essentially become law without anyone ever voting on them in any way.

You lawyer types will have to educate me, but shouldn't "rules" which violate the constitution, whether state or federal, be struck down?

M

McX

imported post

If you want, next time you have to go, I'll hold your expensive watch for you until you get back:D

Wangmuf

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
Read your state code. Someone in VA got busted for having ammo at the metal detector. He disarmed but neglected to remove his extra magazine. Ammo is listed as a prohibited item but not referenced in the code title, which says 'weapon' IIRC.

This guy, from what I recall from reading his thread, never actually violated the "law". He never attempted to enter the courthouse with the loaded .45 magazine, yet his informing the contracted security officer, prior to the checkpoint, resulted in him being charged with attempting to enter the courthouse with a prohibited item. From what I understand, his intention was to inform the private security officer that he had a prohibited item on his person on the unrestricted side of the checkpoint. He was then arrested as if he had attempted to pass through the checkpoint with it.

I don't recall seeing a resolution on that thread. Does anyone have a link to the result of it?

Bull Frog

imported post

Wangmuf wrote:
paramedic70002 wrote:

This guy, from what I recall from reading his thread, never actually violated the "law". He never attempted to enter the courthouse with the loaded .45 magazine, yet his informing the contracted security officer, prior to the checkpoint, resulted in him being charged with attempting to enter the courthouse with a prohibited item. From what I understand, his intention was to inform the private security officer that he had a prohibited item on his person on the unrestricted side of the checkpoint. He was then arrested as if he had attempted to pass through the checkpoint with it.

I don't recall seeing a resolution on that thread. Does anyone have a link to the result of it?

Stories like this have been running rampant since 911. I was stopped from entering a social security office because I was wearing a SAK (Swiss Army Knife).

This is stupid. Next thing you know, they will arrest you for failure to trim your toe nails, which could be construed as dangerous.

Politicians and drug companies pose a much larger threat.

M

McX

imported post

Remember only POSTAl employees are allowed to have firearms on the premices............next in line please.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Lead Lobber wrote:
Wangmuf wrote:
paramedic70002 wrote:

Stories like this have been running rampant since 911. I was stopped from entering a social security office because I was wearing a SAK (Swiss Army Knife).

This is stupid. Next thing you know, they will arrest you for failure to trim your toe nails, which could be construed as dangerous.

Politicians and drug companies pose a much larger threat.
Heh, you haven't seen my toenails!!!! HOO WEEEE!!! :what:

SlackwareRobert

imported post

rodbender wrote:
The proper response is to ask which judge, so you can have him recused for
not being impartial. If he has a conniption fit over an empty holster then
you can probably beat the ticket. (When you get out anyways):cry:

So did being a good boy help get out of the ticket?
Alas holding a judge in contempt is one of the few times where the TRUTH
is not a defense. Just stay out of southern AL, they spank you as well.:lol: