• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Caves to Concealed Carry

Pointman

imported post

Snipped from: http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/64262272.html

Concealed-carry pitched as part of gun law reform

Two powerful Milwaukee leaders on Wednesday floated the idea of allowing concealed-carry gun permits in Wisconsin as part of a larger package of gun law reforms - marking a departure with Mayor Tom Barrett on the hot issue.

(OOPS! Already posted --seelink below.)

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Um, any gun legislative package put together with the support of Chief Flynn is a little bit suspect and I would probably WANT Doyle to veto it! Anyone remember the story of the Trojan Horse?

M

McX

imported post

I bet Doyle would/will veto it right to his last day in office. Plus I kinda wonder about a Governor who would quash our 2nd Amendment rights, but then go with smoking pot with a prescription. The statement from the city leaders does show it's getting to critical mass out there, and it's time to quit smacking the beef, and address/give us our full and free 2nd Amendment rights. Of the people, for the people damn it!

M

McX

imported post

Another rant from me here; I bet anything we get- rights wise- will be driven by money. I can just see it now, in Madison: Well, Florida gets $150 for non-res. CC, Utah $60, well, the people of our state are used to brutal taxes, let's go with $500 CC/OC, and balance our books on the backs of our citizens! Wonder how much they'll charge for those pot smoking permits?:D

Constitutionalist

imported post

After chatting with my alderman, who is all concerned about this issue, this is my take on what I think they are going to want to "deal for":

They get state felony charges for straw buying.
They get state felony for non-permit CCW (Probably on 2nd offense)
They get "gun show loophole" closed. Something like anyone selling more than 5 firearms per year needs to do background checks, get FFL, etc.

We get:
CCW but with training requirements and of course the fees on the permit.
Ability to carry in vehicle.

Sticking points:
Ridiculous school zone law, they don't want ot budge on that one.
Open carry with no permit or training. (They REALLY don't like this.)

He said, and I quote, "In private, Flynn and Chisolm really aren't as anti-gun as you guys think. What they are, is strongly anti guns in the hands of criminals. Mayor Barrett, now that's a different story." So I commented on the "Order my troops to put them on the ground...." comment by Flynn and he said "Look who was standing next to him, that was politics."

I will state the alderman is really a genuine a**hole, so I wouldn't take anything he says to heart, just thought I would share it.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Constitutionalist wrote:
I will state the alderman is really a genuine a**hole, so I wouldn't take anything he says to heart, just thought I would share it.
Then maybe you should use your right to vote to get this A-Hole out of office, campaign against him, and campaign for someone that meets yor needs. Can't any regular douchebag jackoff become an alderman? What would prohibit me from becoming an alderman if I wnated to do it?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Do your neighbors know you as we do here? Would you have to advertise that "I, John Hancock, write on the internet and on guns under the nom-de-net of Anony Mouse?

My neighbors know who I am and what and how I write if they care to. Unfortunately I am one of five and the only one with conservative Constitutional principles.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Do your neighbors know you as we do here? Would you have to advertise that "I, John Hancock, write on the internet and on guns under the nom-de-net of Anony Mouse?

My neighbors know who I am and what and how I write if they care to. Unfortunately I am one of five and the only one with conservative Constitutional principles.
Very unlike you, I prefer to keep a certain amount of anonymity in pubilcly viewableforums.
My friends and neighbors know my personal beliefs and views, and it does not bother me.
I also do notreside (hide)on an island that requires a $40.00 fee to gain access to. So you may only be the target of stalkers that can afford to stalk you, whereas I can be stalkedand confronted by the psychos without any money and nothing to lose.
I also do not remember you owning a service-based business that could be affested by your personal beliefs.

M

McX

imported post

End fighting will gain us nothing. We must remain united in our beliefs, and be happy that some movement, ever so small, may finally, and long awaited-ly occurring in our life time!

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Starts 8 min 25 sec. in so fast forward

vicki_mckenna_75x75.jpg

McKenna Show Thursday Hour 2 Part 1
October 15th: keeping up the fight for gun rights in Wisconsin.

To download the podcast, right-click "Listen" and select "Save As" from the menu.

vicki_mckenna_75x75.jpg

McKenna Show Thursday Hour 2 Part 2
October 15th: Environmentalists freaking out about big TV's and people burning wood.

To download the podcast, right-click "Listen" and select "Save As" from the menu.

M

McX

imported post

Outstanding rant by the talk show host! best, and most convincing I've ever heard. The only bad thing is she is probably right! Were being played by our elected leaders!

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Constitutionalist wrote:
Too bad! Considering it is recognized as the constitutionally protected means of exercising the right to bear arms in Wisconsin they would have a difficult time restricting open carry by adding permit or training requirements. (But then I wouldn't be very surprised by what most politicians would attempt to do.)

Mr.arker

imported post

Well, as I write this all the ideas that Flynn wanted except the "rigid" permitting system and the increased sales tax are being passed in another committee and providing direction for city lobbyists to infect the rest of the state with this "common sense" legislation.
Welcome to a Massassachusetts system if it ever gets that far. 16-20 hours mandatory training and restrictions on all firearms transactions without police notification by the FFL, so statewide, no private transfers.
Flynn was quoted as saying 'he was a chief in Virginia and Massasschusetts, in VA he had no say who got a permit, in MA he had all the power. "
Retired police? no problem, you're in.

Constitutionalist

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Constitutionalist wrote:
Then maybe you should use your right to vote to get this A-Hole out of office, campaign against him, and campaign for someone that meets yor needs. Can't any regular douchebag jackoff become an alderman? What would prohibit me from becoming an alderman if I wnated to do it?
Use my right to vote to get him out of office? And replace him with whom? The other screaming liberal that wants to take our guns away thats running against him? This is the City of Milwaukee, not exactly a bastion of the republican/libertarian/pro-gun movements. I know the next question, why don't I run? 1. I don't want to take the pay cut. 2. I don't want to deal with the 6am phone calls from grandma because her street wasn't plowed or garbage picked up yet. 3. I couldn't go to the titty bar anymore!!!!!!!!!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

Very unlike you, I prefer to keep a certain amount of anonymity in pubilcly viewableforums.
My friends and neighbors know my personal beliefs and views, and it does not bother me.
I also do notreside (hide)on an island that requires a $40.00 fee to gain access to. So you may only be the target of stalkers that can afford to stalk you, whereas I can be stalkedand confronted by the psychos without any money and nothing to lose.
I also do not remember you owning a service-based business that could be affested by your personal beliefs.

I always fail to see why Doug thinks that having a forum user ID of his name is somehow better than having a forum user ID that is, uhm, normal--just a nickname or a catchphrase. Curiously, ole Doug only mentions that superiority to people he disagrees with on the forum. :lol:

Also, interestingly, ole Doug now has two user IDs here on OCDO. Why? Who knows...

Soon, he'll be touting two IDs as a superior practice too.....;)

Ya gotta love poor Doug. What a character....

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

HankT wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

I always fail to see why Doug thinks that having a forum user ID of his name is somehow better than having a forum user ID that is, uhm, normal--just a nickname or a catchphrase. Curiously, ole Doug only mentions that superiority to people he disagrees with on the forum. :lol:

Also, interestingly, ole Doug now has two user IDs here on OCDO. Why? Who knows...

Soon, he'll be touting two IDs as a superior practice too.....;)

Ya gotta love poor Doug. What a character....
And How is this on topic? Shouldn't State Researchers be setting an example?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Constitutionalist wrote:
...my take on what I think they are going to want to "deal for":

They get state felony charges for straw buying.
They get state felony for non-permit CCW (Probably on 2nd offense)
They get "gun show loophole" closed. Something like anyone selling more than 5 firearms per year needs to do background checks, get FFL, etc.

We get:
CCW but with training requirements and of course the fees on the permit.
Ability to carry in vehicle.

Sounds reasonable to me. Except for the so-called "gun show loophole." Maybe make that limit, say, 20 guns. Of course, even if the number was 50, some folks wouldn't like it. 20 is about right. Way more than is necessary for, probably, 95% of the gun selling population. In fact, that's the best way to determine the number: find out the mean private gun sales per year, and the standard deviation, then put the restriction number at 2 std. dev. above the mean.

Constitutionalist wrote:
Sticking points:
Ridiculous school zone law, they don't want ot budge on that one.

From a political perspective, it's easy to see why they wouldn't want to give on the school zone thing. From a gun carrier perspective it's insanity to have the SZ carry prohibited in the manner it is.

The OC issue could be resolved by just requiring whatever CC does. Of course, it must not violate 2A. But requirements should be basically the same for OC as for CC. I'm talking about training, age, personal exclusions, etc.

As long as the restrictions and regulationare reasonable, they could pass muster on 2A.

2A compliance is the main thing.