• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reaction Overreaction

FunkTrooper

imported post

You have a good point Bookman but like I've been saying open carry litter pickups are not a use of force and all the police will do is ask us to leave (which I don't see why we would), the last thing we need is an armed "protest" we should just do what we've always done on open carry and that is let people know we are decent folk just like them. We don't need to be aggressive about it just peaceable.

Look at the Heller case the law had a face and that was a good citizen who had been disenfranchised by the local government.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I agree with a open carry litter pickup...its not an 'armed demonstration' it is lawfullypartaking in a legal activitythat the state preempts.

The difference between waiting for State to battle it out with gun organizations, and someone else hopefully a large crowd, is that it will be brought to the forefront, and possible cost Seattle a very expensive lesson, even if the local media isn't with us it will get national coverage and national attention.

I am not saying to go off half cocked and to take this on by oneself but if a group of us from this forum which it seems to be in the works a well organized and publicized sit in, litter pickup, picnic, than they can count me in. It is going to take some solidarity , I've been harrassed by police I have been arrested I can handle it again.

What I hope is that other LEO, will join in probably not a chance any Seattle PD but maybe some Sherriffs or other departments will stand up for the Law.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

44Brent wrote:
I'm sure Bookman would have urged Rosa Parks to not make a spectacle of herself by sitting at the front of the bus. In response to the suggestions that people not exercise their civil rights I have one thing to say:

[align=center]NONSENSE[/align]
First, let me make a point very clear about Rosa Parks. She was not just a lone person who decided one day to just not move. She was involved in the Civil Rights Movement in Alabama and involved in the local chapter of the NAACP.

Here's a copy paste from Wikipedia:

Black activists had begun to build a case to challenge state bus segregation laws around the arrest of a 15-year-old girl, Claudette Colvin, a student at Booker T. Washington High School in Montgomery. On March 2, 1955, Colvin was handcuffed, arrested and forcibly removed from a public bus when she refused to give up her seat to a white man. She claimed that her constitutional rights were being violated. At the time, Colvin was active in the NAACP Youth Council, a group to which Rosa Parks served as Advisor.

Colvin recollected, "Mrs. Parks said, 'do what is right.'" Parks was raising money for Colvin's defense, but when E.D. Nixon learned that Colvin was pregnant, it was decided that Colvin was an unsuitable symbol for their cause. Soon after her arrest she had conceived a child with a much older married man, a moral transgression that scandalized the deeply religious black community. Strategists believed that the segregationist white press would use Colvin's pregnancy to undermine any boycott. The NAACP also had considered, but rejected, earlier protesters deemed unable or unsuitable to withstand the pressures of cross-examination in a legal challenge to racial segregation laws. Colvin was also known to engage in verbal outbursts and cursing. Many of the legal charges against Colvin were dropped. A boycott didn't materialize from the Colvin case, and legal strategists continued to seek a complainant beyond reproach.

From the Montgomery Bus Boycott Wikipedia Article:

Nixon intended that her arrest be a test case to allow Montgomery's black citizens to challenge segregation on the city's public buses. With this goal, community leaders had been waiting for the right person to be arrested, a person who would anger the black community into action, who would agree to test the segregation laws in court, and who, most importantly, was "above reproach." When fifteen year old Claudette Colvin was arrested early in 1955 for refusing to give up her seat to a white man, E.D. Nixon thought he had found the perfect person, but the teenager turned out to be pregnant. Nixon later explained, "I had to be sure that I had somebody I could win with." Parks, however, was a good candidate because of her employment and marital status, along with her good standing in the community.

That complainant became Rosa Parks. She was carefully selected from a pool of volunteers. Some of the history books tell the story of the refusal, but don't tell the story of what happened before or after. Montgomery Bus Boycott occured. Btw, the Montgomery authorities were even arresting people for REFUSING to take the bus, under some ordinance which made it illegal to "hinder the operations" of the buses, which included refusing to board them and pay for them. They put MLK in a jail cell for 2 weeks over it, and only when the national media got wind of it and started broadcasting about what Montgomery was doing that MLK and others were released and the charges dropped.

The later civil case, which occurred the next year, was Browder v. Gayle. Again, all people carefully chosen. It resulted in the federal courts ordering public transit buses desegregated, and ended the Montgomery Bus Boycott (which lasted 381 days).

sudden valley gunner

imported post

She still is an excellent example of civil disobedience carefully chosen or not, and a courageous person for her actions. And the perfect example that shows how Government enacted laws e.g. Civil rights acts because of actions of people not the other way around.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
She still is an excellent example of civil disobedience carefully chosen or not, and a courageous person for her actions. And the perfect example that shows how Government enacted laws e.g. Civil rights acts because of actions of people not the other way around.
This is EXACTLY my point. The law is already on our side. We need to give it a chance to work.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I see your point, I don't feel we should have to wait to excercise our legally protected rights.

After the civil rights act was enacted, did folks stop excercising their civil rights and wait for the courts to figure it out?

I strongly support a large gathering of civil activists and will attend, if SAF is on board good if not, oh well. That would be a well orchestrated demonstration that we are not going to take this laying down and not going to wait for politics to catch up to "our rights".

DEROS72

imported post

That is the reason for the meeting on th 25th so we can all get together on a measured response.I would like to know what SAF has in the works.However we are individuals and will decide for ourselves.Personally I won't participate in anything untill we dicuss it next sunday.Then I will get behind what ever plan we come up with as a group.As for empty holster protests ,my holster in never nor will it ever be empty.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
That is the reason for the meeting on th 25th so we can all get together on a measured response.I would like to know what SAF has in the works.However we are individuals and will decide for ourselves.Personally I won't participate in anything untill we dicuss it next sunday.Then I will get behind what ever plan we come up with as a group.As for empty holster protests ,my holster in never nor will it ever be empty.
Exactly what I am talking about Deros, count me in even if I can't make the meeting I am in for a group protest.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Also remember if you do manage to get yourself arrested... DO YOU HAVE THE RESOURCES to pay your own legal fees all the way thru to the State Supreme Court, because that what it will likely take!

Tens of Thousands of dollars, possiblyHundreds of thousands...and a lawyer that knows what he's talking about. Should you run out of money or have the wrong lawyer and for some reason lose... Then what? You've set precedent and screwed the rest of us.

Let those that know what they are doing do it, offer aid, offer MONEY, but don't go half cocked and screw it up for everyone!

The SAF is our best bet in this case. They know what they are doing.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
Also remember if you do manage to get yourself arrested... DO YOU HAVE THE RESOURCES to pay your own legal fees all the way thru to the State Supreme Court, because that what it will likely take!

Tens of Thousands of dollars, possiblyHundreds of thousands...and a lawyer that knows what he's talking about. Should you run out of money or have the wrong lawyer and for some reason lose... Then what? You've set precedent and screwed the rest of us.

Let those that know what they are doing do it, offer aid, offer MONEY, but don't go half cocked and screw it up for everyone!

The SAF is our best bet in this case. They know what they are doing.
Make Seattle pay for hundreds of Public Defense Lawyers. The state already has an opinion on this, Seattle is ignoring it. And this is also the thing that government has been relying on make illegal laws and people won't fight it because it will cost them. In my opinion the members of Open Carry have done more in a short period of time to fight and get our rights recognized than NRA or SAF has in many many years.

PT111

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
deanf wrote:
You think of group of loosely organized folks without legal representation and financial and political capital is going to cause the city to throw up their hands in surrender?
It worked against the British 230 years ago.
But it didn't work for the Confederacy 150 years ago.

Gray Peterson

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Make Seattle pay for hundreds of Public Defense Lawyers. The state already has an opinion on this, Seattle is ignoring it. And this is also the thing that government has been relying on make illegal laws and people won't fight it because it will cost them. In my opinion the members of Open Carry have done more in a short period of time to fight and get our rights recognized than NRA or SAF has in many many years.
On the issue of *specifically* open carry, yes, I would agree with you on that particular score, SVG.

However, I might point out that NRA and SAF/CCRKBA were doing their best with a horrific situation where a majority of the federal court circuits were saying the 2A was a collective right, and their only way of "holding the fort" is via the Legislatures and Congress, or via egregious cases where gun owners' 4th and 5th amendment was violated, vis a vis the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Oh, and not to mention the fact that it was SAF and the NRA who challenged dishonest law professors and scholars who kept repeating the "collective right" lie. Other law professors followed their lead and the cascading conversation over the decades got a large majority to recognize that "collective rights" was total bull@#$%, based on a briefing by the feds in United States v. Miller in 1939. After the feds won, folks who supported NFA started spewing the same crap and then started finding out of context statements by the Founders to justify the "collective rights" crap.

Without that being done, there would have been no Heller.

The NRA was very effective getting every city in the Chicagoland region save Chicago itself and Oak Park to repeal their complete handgun bans. The NRA (along with SAF) been very effective in getting San Francisco's Proposition H taken down under the state's preemption statute.

SAF is partner in the case of McDonald v. City of Chicago, which was taken up rather than the NRA case due to P&I, and has the possible significance of applying the entirety of the BoR to the states.

SAF is also partnered in three other cases, which is Palmer v. District of Columbia against DC's carry ban, Sykes v. McGinness against a California CLEO's refusal to accept self defense as good cause, and Hodgkins v. Holder against the "You must be a resident of a state to buy a gun" provision against two natural born US citizens who are residing in the UK and Canada (think about the implications of what a win of this will do for us).

SAF also filed the last preemption case against a city here in Washington in Second Amendment Foundation v. City of Renton. SAF lost in the appeals court, however the Legislature heard loud and clear from Washington gun owners that the current situation of allowing cities to pass gun bans was unacceptable, to the point that even Governor Booth Gardner (D) signed the current preemption statute into law in 1985.

Not every battle that SAF/CCRKBA and NRA fights is out in the open for everyone to see, especially in the era before the internet became really popular and there's not much in the way of knowledge of that era.

I think we, as gun owners, have a pretty good shot at defeating the Seattle gun ban in state court, and possibly federal when McDonald comes down the pike. If that doesn't work, however, then we need a plan B, which is to push the Legislature to strengthen the preemption statute even further, perhaps to using Utah's preemption statute as a template.

1997's I-676 proved that you don't piss gun owners off in this state.

Marysville

imported post

I agree with the OP. Everyone here wants to get this ban overturned. The only debate is the best way. Unless Mayor Nickels decides to overturn it himself, which won't happen, we have to take to the courts. So you can go and get arrested and then sue the city to get it over turned. Which by the way is not suing the Mayor, it is suing the residents so not a good idea. Or you can let saf take this to the court. From my talk with them this morning it sounds like they are hammering out a few last details before it is filed.
We should support the cause and help out the saf, not do something that is going to shoot them in the foot, which would also shoot us in the foot. I say if they lose, they it is time for mass protests, but we aren't at that point. We all know what the average person thinks when they see a gun on somebodys hip. Why would we want to increase the amount of people that want to think that way? That hurts us, not helps us.
We could go a pick up litter wearing a weapon, but honestly, how is that going to play out in the news. That won't look good. Especially if somebody shows up that is acting like an idiot or does something stupid to hurt the cause. A community oriented litter pickup will not be reported as such, it will be reported as a bunch of right wing gun freaks. That kind of mentality hurts us. Think it through, wait for a good time to act.

44Brent

imported post

I disagree with a freqently repeated notion that Mayor Nickels is the sole source of the problem, and that the problem will go away once he is gone.

To the contrary, Nickels has subordinates who are perfectly happy to enforce this non-existent "ordinance". Also, all the mayoral candidates have publicly indicated that they intend to push for gun bans.

Gray Peterson

imported post

44Brent wrote:
I disagree with a freqently repeated notion that Mayor Nickels is the sole source of the problem, and that the problem will go away once he is gone.

To the contrary, Nickels has subordinates who are perfectly happy to enforce this non-existent "ordinance". Also, all the mayoral candidates have publicly indicated that they intend to push for gun bans.
The difference in the Seattle race is that McGinn would wholesale continue the policy at the local level, whereas Mallahan would ask the state legislature for permission first, which is, in terms of pure law and legality (not constitutionality, that's a different situation), is the CORRECT method. The Legislature can always say no.

At the latest mayoral debate, he doesn't believe that spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to defend this ordinance. McGinn took that to attack Mallahan for wanting to "wanting to repeal the gun ban which protects children" in robocalls. The robocalling is pissing off a lot of people.

I'm not a Seattle voter so I have no voice or say in the situation. I however, would *never* vote for McGinn.

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
deanf wrote:
You think of group of loosely organized folks without legal representation and financial and political capital is going to cause the city to throw up their hands in surrender?
It worked against the British 230 years ago.
Only because we had the French backing us up. (Boy, I never thought I'd hear myself say that. :p )