• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SL County Deputy

Utah_Patriot

imported post

So today at 1420 I get home and noticed a unmarked sheriff car driving around my neighborhood. So I get on the Motorcycle and go see whats going on in my neighborhood.

A plain clothes deputy approaches my bike and asks about my firearm. I give him a vague answer. He asks if I have my CFP I say yes he asks me for it.

I give him my drivers license since I was on my Motorcycle. He insists I give him my CFP I said call dispatch they will confirm I have it. He becomes upset I won't give him my CFP Finally calls dispatch. Hands me back my ID and says your free to go.

I ask him his name he says John Renyolds. I go home to call SL County to find out it was not his real name. I go back to were I saw him see him walking down the street. I told him dispatch does not have a John Reynolds he proceeds to call me an Asshole and a prick refuses to give me his name.

I drive down the road and see his unmarked car and right down the plate number 87813EX. I call Angela with SL County Dispatch to get the correct name of the rouge Deputy Manwaring I call to make a complaint and find his command went home already.

I drive down to the West Patrol command sub-station where he is out of. I speak with SGT Andreason who gives me a citizen complaint form to fill out. The Sgt tries to tell me you must Give a deputy a CFP I tell him he is incorrect but did not want to argue.

So I recorded the Encounter but forgot to save it accidentally fail to save it. Doh

So I plan on meeting with his command to get this taken care of. I have several different avenue's to go

Can I get your opinion.

mqondo

imported post

You should post this on UCC too. It seems that there are a lot more people watching that site. Anyway.... I think it is a really good idea to file a complaint. What would happen to one of us if we were to give an LEO a wrong information on who we are? We would be in a fair amount of trouble. It is not okay for LEO's to do this either. They should be setting the standard for what is expected. If they don't follow the laws, then how can they expect us to? We follow the laws, and so should they. It's lame that this LEO got all butt hurt because you didn't show ID that you are not required to show. I'm betting that you hurt his feelings, and he gave you an incorrect name because he knew he was in the wrong, and didn't want you complaining about him. I guess that backfired. Good job getting his license plate so that you could take it up with his superior. :D

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

I think I would fill out TWO complaints on this guy:

On the first one, deal ONLY with the fact that a police officer who had demanded ID from you gave you a false name when you asked him to positively ID himself. THAT is a huge issue regardless of whatever precipitated it. Let this complaint focus ONLY on the false name. Well, in addition to the false name I would bring up the unprofessional conduct and conduct unbecoming a sworn peace officer including crude/vulgar/profane/offensive language and personal insults.

On the second complaint, deal with the fact that the officer did not know current law regarding firearm carry permits. Strictly speaking, under Utah law you are not required to have the permit in your possession when carrying. I personally think it a good idea to have the permit with you. But there is no law mandating it.

Charles

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Now that's funny

I plan on talking with SL County Command on Monday.

I have CIT Training all week for my department which will take most of my time up.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
So today at 1420 I get home and noticed a unmarked sheriff car driving around my neighborhood. So I get on the Motorcycle and go see whats going on in my neighborhood.

A plain clothes deputy approaches my bike and asks about my firearm. I give him a vague answer. He asks if I have my CFP I say yes he asks me for it.

I give him my drivers license since I was on my Motorcycle. He insists I give him my CFP I said call dispatch they will confirm I have it. He becomes upset I won't give him my CFP Finally calls dispatch. Hands me back my ID and says your free to go.

SNIP
You seem to have not remembered that under CURRENT NEW UTAH LAW YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO EVEN HAVE A PERMIT TO CARRY OPENLY OR CONCEALED, LOADED OR UNLOADED WHILE IN A MOTORVEHICLE! And a MOTORCYCLE IS A MOTORVEHICLE!

Edited to change the word UNLOADING to UNLOADED.... Yes, I do know that it is illegal to discharge a weapon from, over, or across a road.

b1ack5mith

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:
just wait till sgt. jensen hears about this ;) he will have somethin to say about it!
Really? What do you think he'll say?!? :p
we NEEEVER know what kev is gonna say! he carries an extra long barrel, he doesnt NEED to say anything ;) you could literally almost hit my house with that sniper rifle of a handgun! (<<< jealous)

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
we NEEEVER know what kev is gonna say! he carries an extra long barrel, he doesnt NEED to say anything ;) you could literally almost hit my house with that sniper rifle of a handgun! (<<< jealous)
Meh. The 35 only has a 5.3 inch barrel. My 6 inch 24C however, is my sniper handgun. ;)

b1ack5mith

imported post

WOW. look at that dang thing! lets go shooting sunday! if its okay with the mrs ofcourse... or if she wants to come! we can do a mini hike/shooting at the same time ;)

uhh kevin, do you hear a "shooting" sound outside? it sounds like a helicopter, but it stops every few seconds, and you hear it start up again... its REALLY loud, and youre only a couple miles away, so you may hear it too

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Strangely enough, I can hear it. :shock: ...and have you ever heard of e-mail? Quit thread hi-jacking! :p

Back on topic. Zach, tell the cops to quit bugging you. You see them far too often. ;)

b1ack5mith

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Strangely enough, I can hear it. :shock: ...and have you ever heard of e-mail? Quit thread hi-jacking! :p

Back on topic. Zach, tell the cops to quit bugging you. You see them far too often. ;)
GOT IT! ill stop hijacking threads. i sent you an OCDO message... not that you ever reply to mine! and gunsfreak, i still think you handled it well!

cheese

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:

I ask him his name he says John Renyolds. I go home to call SL County to find out it was not his real name. I go back to were I saw him see him walking down the street. I told him dispatch does not have a John Reynolds he proceeds to call me an @#$% and a prick refuses to give me his name.

I drive down the road and see his unmarked car and right down the plate number 87813EX. I call Angela with SL County Dispatch to get the correct name of the rouge Deputy Manwaring I call to make a complaint and find his command went home already.

I drive down to the West Patrol command sub-station where he is out of. I speak with SGT Andreason who gives me a citizen complaint form to fill out. The Sgt tries to tell me you must Give a deputy a CFP I tell him he is incorrect but did not want to argue.

So I recorded the Encounter but forgot to save it accidentally fail to save it. Doh

So I plan on meeting with his command to get this taken care of. I have several different avenue's to go

Can I get your opinion.

My opinion,

Give him the permit, big deal. Like you said he can confirm it anyways. \

And yes he was a dick if what you say is true.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Hey I have no reason not to tell the truth. Also as far as that deputy goes he needs to learn the laws.

He was in plain clothes when he approached me along with two marshals. They were looking for offenders at selected houses from what I could gather.

I would have been cited if I gave a wrong name to a officer and then called him a prick and a asshole. I expect LEO to be held to a higher standard then resulting to foolish name calling.

I also expect to ask for education and a sit down with the officer that I interacted with.

ichigo

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
So today at 1420 I get home and noticed a unmarked sheriff car driving around my neighborhood. So I get on the Motorcycle and go see whats going on in my neighborhood. ...
Is it out of the ordinary for police to make rounds in Kearns? Did he drive by more that once? Where there other marked cars around? I don't know you personally so I don't know your mentality but as a outsider looking in it seems like you were looking to be a hero or looking for trouble. Forget about what happens after you were stopped for a minute. Who tails police??? A concerned citizen or someone who likes to rubberneck at car wrecks? I'm a little of both but come on, tailing police???? Not a good idea. I'm surprised you didn't make a citizens arrest when you found out he provided you with false information.:)
-banki-

mqondo

imported post

ichigo wrote:
Is it out of the ordinary for police to make rounds in Kearns? Did he drive by more that once? Where there other marked cars around? I don't know you personally so I don't know your mentality but as a outsider looking in it seems like you were looking to be a hero or looking for trouble. Forget about what happens after you were stopped for a minute. Who tails police??? A concerned citizen or someone who likes to rubberneck at car wrecks? I'm a little of both but come on, tailing police???? Not a good idea. I'm surprised you didn't make a citizens arrest when you found out he provided you with false information.:)
-banki-
Looks to me from his post, if you were to read it, that he was being a concerned citizen, and was trying to find out what was going on in his neighborhood. As he was going around, trying to see what was going on, a plain clothes LEO stopped him and asked about his gun. This is where the LEO lied to him about his own name when Gunsfreak asked him about it. The officer should be punished, as any of us would if we lied to an LEO.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

If you must know all I saw in my neighborhood was a unmarked car. I have lived in my neighborhood almost all my life before purchasing a house where I grew up. In the same neighborhood just down the street from where I grew up.

I was curious to see why the car was driving around my neighborhood then stopping in various places. Their were no marked units in my neighborhood and driving by their was no way to tell they were even law enforcement.

My son was dropped off up the street to go to a friends house and then walk home.
If their was something going on I wanted to know. The white unmarked car was a concern driving and stopping at different areas in the neighborhood.

As for being a hero I don't see the correlation to me being stopped. 95% percent of the time I have very little interaction with LEO's. I have no need to be a hero or post information that is not correct. I simply posted information mainly to inform others and document events so I can review them latter. I also like for others to review and post their insights so I can get a group opinion.

cheese

imported post

ichigo wrote:
gunsfreak4791 wrote:
So today at 1420 I get home and noticed a unmarked sheriff car driving around my neighborhood. So I get on the Motorcycle and go see whats going on in my neighborhood. ...
-banki-

+1

and may I ask,

If something was going on why do you have to ask and be in the way?

ichigo

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
If you must know all I saw in my neighborhood was a unmarked car. I have lived in my neighborhood almost all my life before purchasing a house where I grew up. In the same neighborhood just down the street from where I grew up.

I was curious to see why the car was driving around my neighborhood then stopping in various places. Their were no marked units in my neighborhood and driving by their was no way to tell they were even law enforcement.

My son was dropped off up the street to go to a friends house and then walk home.
If their was something going on I wanted to know. The white unmarked car was a concern driving and stopping at different areas in the neighborhood.

As for being a hero I don't see the correlation to me being stopped. 95% percent of the time I have very little interaction with LEO's. I have no need to be a hero or post information that is not correct. I simply posted information mainly to inform others and document events so I can review them latter. I also like for others to review and post their insights so I can get a group opinion.
Fair enough. Satisfies my curiosity about what the details were. No harm intended. I'd do the same thing if my kids were walking around. You said there were two other uniformed marshalls when he approached. Did they act weird when Mr plain clothes gave you the wrong name or were they gone by then? They should be as accountable as anyone if they were there. I smells like the same thing I saw on the movie training day. Seems a little crooked.
-banki-