• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Confused on the CCW laws

Nebduckman

imported post

I just read the statues for NE and the way I read itis, You cant carry it about any wherepublic unless you are in your vehicles.Now the statue 18-1703 that passed on Aug 19 from the AG of NE states that no village or city shall reject or override a CCW law.

Is this correct?

rpyne

imported post

Nebduckman wrote:
I just read the statues for NE and the way I read itis, You cant carry it about any wherepublic unless you are in your vehicles.Now the statue 18-1703 that passed on Aug 19 from the AG of NE states that no village or city shall reject or override a CCW law.

Is this correct?
Sort of. Yes, the statewide preemption was strengthened, but as for where you can carry, if you read the list of prohibited places, it is more like you can carry anywhere except public places.

You cannot carry on the grounds of any kind of school, any place being used by a school, any church, any political meeting or rally, any government building, any meeting of any governmental body, any sporting event . . .

Nebduckman

imported post

And dont forget any place of business or employer that prohibits weapons on site. So if you want to go in and dine at your local Burger Kingor go thru the drive thru you are prohibitted from doing that also. So basically you may carry in your house on your land, or if you are driving or riding in a vehicle are really the only places allowed by the greatF#$@ing state of Nebraska.

If I am reading this incorrect, some one pleaselet me know!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Nebduckman wrote:
And dont forget any place of business or employer that prohibits weapons on site. So if you want to go in and dine at your local Burger Kingor go thru the drive thru you are prohibitted from doing that also. So basically you may carry in your house on your land, or if you are driving or riding in a vehicle are really the only places allowed by the greatF#$@ing state of Nebraska.

It is pretty much empty preemption, but it is an improvement.

Way too many restrictions and then there is Omaha. :(

Yata hey

Ryan45cal

imported post

Yeah, don't even get me started on Omaha. Unfortunately, Lincoln doesn't seem to be that much better, either.

There is full pre-emption for permit holders here, as long as the gun remains concealed, otherwise you are not protected against local ordinances.

You can carry your gun while going through the drive-thru at BK, just don't go inside the building. Personally, I don't waste my time giving my money to anti-RKBA businesses.

Is this correct?

That was while cities were banning ccw, which they can not do anymore. Even then, having it in the car while passing through was risky. You can carry anywhere except places specifically prhohibited by statute and premises that are posted.

mtncrash1

imported post

Nebduckman wrote:

Not sure where you are getting the info about the drive thru but there is nothing that says you cant carry at the drive thru. If the store is posted you cant carry inside but nothing stopping you from carrying outside in your car. I carry everywhere that is not posted.I go to many stores and buisnesses or for walks and my carry piece goes with me.I have talked to LEO on the streets and (according to law)told them I was carrying and have had no problems.I have also OCed with the same results.Addmitedly I dont OC very much but then Omaha is not real friendly on this issue. If you have your CCW or a city OC permit you can legally OC. However you are facing a stop from LE for it.Not saying it would happen everytime out but feel that it will happen some time.

For those who have questions about our laws please ask. If I cant get you the answer I can point you in the right direction to get it.I am new on here and hopefully can be of some help.

Mike.

LT SOUP

imported post

Hey Mike, if I am understanding you right. you may carry your weapon loaded or unloaded and in plane sight as long as it stays in your car, say on your pasngr. side seat. just wondering because I am a resident of MO. and i have some buisness up there in Neb. for about a month. or can i put in center consel. I have no ccw. yet I OC herer in MO. all te time. never an issue. thnx

mtncrash1

imported post

In Omaha you must have their OC permit or a CCW to openly carry.The state is an open carry state. The only thing I could find about this comes from http://www.Handgunlaws.us.

This is what they say.

There is no law we can find covering transporting a visible loaded defensive Handgun in a vehicle. It is
illegal to carry a long gun under the Dept. of Natural Resources and Hunting laws. It is illegal to carry a loaded concealed handgun in a vehicle in NE without a NE Permit/License to Carry. Some cities have banned the transporting of firearms also.

[align=left]Handgunlaw.us suggests not carrying a loaded visible firearm in a vehicle until more information is available.
[/align]