• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NHP incudent

I

inNV

imported post

So in your eyes, citing the NRS that says something is unlawful, is not proof it is a crime? You still have yet to acknowledge the fact that I posted the NRS concerning the issue.

I have supported my opinion. Once again, I said speeding is a crime, and posted the NRS that says it is. Is that not proof? I love how your opinion matters, but mine doesn't. At least mine relies on a truth, like the fact speeding is a crime as PROVED BY THE NRS I POSTED!

Again I ask, since you keep saying, WHAT PROOF WOULD YOU LIKE BESIDES AN NRS?

wrightme

imported post

inNV wrote:
So in your eyes, citing the NRS that says something is unlawful, is not proof it is a crime? You still have yet to acknowledge the fact that I posted the NRS concerning the issue.
No. In my eyes, citing irrelevant NRS does not prove your point. You only posted one relevant NRS, concerning signaling, and it did not mention a criminal penalty.

I have supported my opinion. Once again, I said speeding is a crime, and posted the NRS that says it is. Is that not proof? I love how your opinion matters, but mine doesn't. At least mine relies on a truth, like the fact speeding is a crime as PROVED BY THE NRS I POSTED!
No, you have attempted to declare your opinion is correct. My opinion is not relevant to law. Your opinion isn't either. You have not proved speeding is a crime with any NRS you posted.

RELEVANT statute for starters. Then something substansive that actually shows that a violation of the motor vehicle code (of the NRS, specifically speeding and signaling to keep it relevant to the OP as you desire) is a crime, like robbery or shoplifting as you conflate it to.

I

inNV

imported post

wrightme wrote:
inNV wrote:
No.  In my eyes, citing irrelevant NRS does not prove your point.  You only posted one relevant NRS, concerning signaling, and it did not mention a criminal penalty.

No, you have attempted to declare your opinion is correct.  My opinion is not relevant to law.  Your opinion isn't either.  You have not proved speeding is a crime with any NRS you posted. 

RELEVANT statute for starters.  Then something substansive that actually shows that a violation of the motor vehicle code (of the NRS, specifically speeding and signaling to keep it relevant to the OP as you desire) is a crime, like robbery or shoplifting as you conflate it to.

If you don't realize that something UNLAWFUL according to an NRS is a crime, then I don't know what to tell you.

And again, I never said it was a crime like robbery other than the fact you can have your weapon secured, so quit using old, tired arguments like a silly liberal.

wrightme

imported post

inNV wrote:
wrightme wrote:
inNV wrote:
No. In my eyes, citing irrelevant NRS does not prove your point. You only posted one relevant NRS, concerning signaling, and it did not mention a criminal penalty.

No, you have attempted to declare your opinion is correct. My opinion is not relevant to law. Your opinion isn't either. You have not proved speeding is a crime with any NRS you posted.

RELEVANT statute for starters. Then something substansive that actually shows that a violation of the motor vehicle code (of the NRS, specifically speeding and signaling to keep it relevant to the OP as you desire) is a crime, like robbery or shoplifting as you conflate it to.

If you don't realize that something UNLAWFUL according to an NRS is a crime, then I don't know what to tell you.
If you don't realize that I presented an NRS that specivically states that a violation of it isn't even a moving violation, then i don't know what to tell you.

And again, I never said it was a crime like robbery other than the fact you can have your weapon secured, so quit using old, tired arguments like a silly liberal.
How can you dice it to where it "is a crime like robbery" for one thing, and "not a crime like robbery" for another thing? :? That just ain't logical. :p

What is the penalty for a speeding ticket? Where does that penalty fit in the hierarchy of penalties for criminal offenses? Where does it state that all violations of NRS are "crimes," or that all violations of the motor vehicle code are "crimes?"

I

inNV

imported post

You have got to have the biggest strawman argument I have ever seen. You put words in my mouth. You agreed that a PO can secure your weapon during a traffic stop, please tell me why he can.

Who really gives a crap what the penalty is as this has nothing to do with the topic. You have failed to answer any question I have set forth, and yet continue with your ridiculous questions that have no bearing. For the last time, answer me:

What specific right, under the Constitution, was violated?

And why can a PO secure your weapon during a traffic stop?

How is something that is unlawful and punishable according to an NRS not a crime?

Besides saying prove it, and asking the same stupid questions over and over, which either have no bearing (such as penalties) or have been answered, answer these 3 little questions..if you can't, then YOU have no leg to stand on.

wrightme

imported post

inNV wrote:
You have got to have the biggest strawman argument I have ever seen. You put words in my mouth. You agreed that a PO can secure your weapon during a traffic stop, please tell me why he can.

Who really gives a crap what the penalty is as this has nothing to do with the topic. You have failed to answer any question I have set forth, and yet continue with your ridiculous questions that have no bearing. For the last time, answer me:

What specific right, under the Constitution, was violated?

And why can a PO secure your weapon during a traffic stop?

How is something that is unlawful and punishable according to an NRS not a crime?

Besides saying prove it, and asking the same stupid questions over and over, which either have no bearing (such as penalties) or have been answered, answer these 3 little questions..if you can't, then YOU have no leg to stand on.
I have presented no strawman. You have. Unless you can prove that the Motor Vehicle Code (which is a portion of NRS) provides that a speeding violation is a criminal offense, you are out to lunch. Simple.

Why should I even attempt to respond to your questions when you refuse to respond to mine? You claim that a speeding ticket makes a person a criminal. Present your case. Cite your statute.

You claim that all violations of NRS are crimes? Does that include NRS 202.3689? If a person required to follow NRS 202.3689 violates that statute, can they be treated as a criminal and have a weapon confiscated during investigation? Are the "a criminal is a criminal is a criminal," as you claim?

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Even in the instance of a lawful stop, police must still have RAS that the suspect is armed and dangerous before confiscating a weapon (NRS 171.1232). This is separate RAS from that which is required to detain a person (NRS 171.123). Having RAS to detain a person does not automatically equate into having RAS to confiscate his weapon. (US Supreme Court, Terry v Ohio)

And while I conceded that police can very likely make up almost anything to claim they felt the suspect was dangerous, it doesn't change the fact that legally, the police officer must still have RAS of armed and dangerous. And remember, the presence of a gun means armed. It does not mean dangerous. (US Supreme Court, Adams v Williams)

I have presented the point, the OP has presented the point, and many other posters here have presented the point.

You have failed to respond to this point a single time and instead continue to insist that merely being detained under suspicion of any crime automatically gives police the authority to secure a weapon. Please provide a cite for this.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

inNV, I will help you out. The cite wrightme is looking for is NRS 484.999. Since speeding is a violation of NRS 484.361, it is an act forbidden by this chapter (NRS 484).
NRS 484.999 General rule: Performance of act forbidden by chapter or failure to perform act required by chapter is misdemeanor; authority of court to order repeat offender to pay for and attend school for driver training.

1. It is unlawful and, unless otherwise declared in this chapter with respect to a particular offense, it is a misdemeanor for any person to do any act forbidden or fail to perform any act required in this chapter.

2. The court may order any person who is twice convicted of violating a provision of this chapter to pay tuition for and attend a school for driver training which is approved by the Department for retraining such drivers. The person so ordered may choose from those so approved the school which he will attend. A person who willfully fails to comply with such an order is guilty of a misdemeanor.
I italicized the "unless otherwise declared" portion above because some of the sections of NRS 484 do specifically call out certain offenses as felonies. For example, a third DUI within 7 years is a felony (NRS 484.3792). Since NRS 484.361 does not otherwise declare it, speeding is a misdemeanor under NRS 484.999. The speeding law cited by wrightme, NRS 484.3685 (rural speeding) does otherwise declare the offense as "not be deemed a moving traffic violation", so it is not a crime.

Failure to use the turn signal (NRS 484.305) does not otherwise declare the offense, so it is also a misdemeanor pursuant to NRS 484.999.

This is the type of information I think wrightme was looking for in his request.

It is important when we discuss topics here to post our cites. Without them, we face the problem you alluded to earlier in this discussion - visitors to our site taking potentially incorrect information at face value and getting into trouble.

wrightme

imported post

Good find tim.

The one exception that I found was the reference I previously posted citing rural speed as not a moving violation.

KBCraig

imported post

Sheepdawg wrote:
SlackwareRobert wrote:
But for the saddle bags, "I'm sorry officer I do not consent to a search."

Yeah I know I should have stood my ground but I was getting tired of arguing and just wanted to be on my way. Next time I won't back down.
I think that in these circumstances, you actually played that pretty well. You might have toyed with him a bit, told him you didn't want him looking through your stuff, building up his expectation that he would find something illicit in your saddlebags, only to find them empty, but... yeah. For the joy of seeing the expression on his face when he saw they were empty, I'd have opened them up, too. :celebrate

KBCraig

imported post

I believe inNV when he says he's "not a cop". I don't believe that he never was a cop, or perhaps that he really wants to be a cop. Either that, or he's aspiring to be a really bad lawyer.

I've skimmed the last six pages, so pardon me for missing it if someone pointed out Mendenhall in the discussion about whether or not the OP was "seized".

Here's what SCOTUS actually says (quoting from California v. Hodari):

...Mendenhall test, formulated by Justice Stewart's opinion in United States v. Mendenhall, 446 U. S. 544, 446 U. S. 554 (1980), and adopted by the Court in later cases, see Michigan v. Chesternut, 486 U. S. 567, 486 U. S. 573 (1988); INS v. Delgado, 466 U. S. 210, 466 U. S. 215 (1984): "A person has been 'seized' within the meaning of the Fourth Amendment only if, in view of all the circumstances surrounding the incident, a reasonable person would have believed that he was not free to leave."

Got that, inNV? For anything exceeding the time it took to process the traffic ticket, the OP was "seized" by the NHP officer. During a traffic stop, a person is seized until released to go on their way, because a reasonable person would believe he was not free to leave. Certainly not while the officer still has possession of their property and driver's license.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Now, as to my previous post.... A police officer may establish RAS that a violation of NRS 484.305 has occurred if he observes the motorist fail to properly signal his lane change. He wouldn't necessarily have RAS to perform the stop if he didn't have a clear view of the motorist's signal lamps. However, other factors might come into play, such as witnessing other motorists brake abruptly upon the change of lane.

Such observation may lead the officer to conclude the motorist failed to signal even though he couldn't see the lamp himself. This might then also form the basis for a lawful stop in which he may conduct an investigation.

In much the same way, once the detainment has begun, he must form separate RAS that the suspect is armed and dangerous. In my original cites, I posted case law in which the officer must establish this RAS prior to conducting a frisk. And although a frisk was not required in the case of OP, it is definitely a relevant cite.

The RAS required for a frisk is two-fold. To conduct the frisk, the officer must first reasonably suspect that the person is armed. This alone is not enough for the officer to frisk. He must then also reasonably suspect that the person is dangerous. The frisk to determine whether he is armed is only allowed if the officer is also authorized to confiscate any weapons discovered by the frisk. Both conditions must be met.

In the case of OP, I realize no frisk was needed to discover the OC weapon, but again the case law presented is relevant, BECAUSE although the officer needn't form any suspicion the OP is armed (he can clearly see), he must still form reasonable suspicion the OP is dangerous. Remember, the case-law presented requires both conditions to be met before a frisk and/or subsequent confiscation is made. In the same way, any confiscation of an OC weapon must meet the same scrutiny as if the officer had frisked him.

This is all fact based on cited law and case law. I know you claim the case law is not case on point because it's not IDENTICAL, but I would really appreciate you considering the points presented before declaring them irrelevant because they only match OP's incident 90%. Frisk and seizure are both violations of the 4th amendment. They are however PERMITTED violations of the 4th amendment in circumstances decided by the court and case law. Since they're both violations of the 4th, each is also, by itself, a violation of the 4th, which requires lawful authority. The case law describes the sole exception authorized for one or the other or both.

My argument is that the officer did NOT have sufficient RAS to warrant the confiscation. This is based on my opinion, which I explained before, but will again. If the officer reasonably suspected the OP to be dangerous, why did he take his word that the OC gun was the only gun in his possession? If he had RAS to confiscate the OC weapon, he also had RAS to frisk him. But since he did not frisk to determine the presence of any other weapons, my conclusion is that the officer did not really reasonably suspect the OP to be dangerous. Because if he DID have RAS, I find it hard to believe that he would have not have frisked a known armed individual that he believed to be dangerous.

This opinion is also based on the fact that sometimes while OC I also carry a backup weapon concealed, and I think there are many others who also do the same. This is an example of me explaining how a situation unrelated to OP's incident helped me to arrive at a certain conclusion. The fact that I sometimes conceal a backup weapon is NOT irrelevant to the case just because OP was not carrying one. It is entirely relevant, because if the case were to go to court, a judge would have to decide whether the officer's actions were justified by lawful authority (RAS) or whether they were not. If I were arguing the case, I would argue that an individual who is OC can reasonably be assumed is also CC a backup weapon, and that not checking for one demonstrates the officer was not of the mindset that OP was dangerous, and thus he had not developed RAS of such.

I honestly enjoy debating opinions back and forth and discussing laws and their application, but it's been difficult because while I present my opinions and back them up with the cases and laws that I used to form my opinions, you attack the very core of my opinion-forming capabilities and declare the facts I present to be irrelevant and wrong. I don't mind being called out when I make a mistake, and I will own up to it. I know the last two paragraphs above are entirely based on opinion, substantiated by facts, and I don't mind if you disagree, and rather enjoy considering other positions, especially those contrary to my own. But I don't want to argue. I'm not wrong because you disagree with me. We might debate whether the officer had RAS and speculate as to what conditions might meet this requirement, but arguing back and forth that the officer doesn't need RAS despite clearly cited case law is not my idea of an intellectual or enjoyable discussion. No, you're not here for my pleasure, I get that, but there's no need to fight unnecessarily either.

KBCraig

imported post

Oh, and I'm not sure I even grasp what inNV is trying for on his argument that this was not under color of law. I've seen people successfully prosecuted and convicted in federal court for deprivation of rights under color of law for beating suspects during an arrest, for beating inmates in custody while they were in restraints, for a 911-center supervisor sexually coercing his subordinates, and even for a nursing home orderly sexually assaulting patients. (That one was a real stretch, but because they were all medicaid patients, and because he had the ability to deny them freedom of movement, the court ruled that he had a position of authority over them, similar to a teacher over a student, or the 911 supervisor over his subordinates.)

Vegassteve

imported post

inNV wrote:
Honestly, you must be dunce. Please show me where I ever said that speeding and robbery has the same penalty. I NEVER MADE SUCH A STATEMENT. Stop putting your words in my mouth. Traffic crimes are crimes. If you fail to see that not being allowed to do something according to the law, and then doing it is a crime, that is your problem.

Yes you did. Now say your sorry and move on.

I

inNV

imported post

What a bunch of tools. More people chiming in with irrelevant information. KBCraig, explain to me how what you "seen" as color of law applies anywhere in this case? Obviously you failed to read my explanation of color of law, which matches what you have "seen" pretty well.

All of you, including the OP said that a PO may secure a weapon during a traffic stop, and Tim still keeps asking how was it lawful for him to do it in this case. YOU ALREADY SAID HE COULD.

Vegassteve, people can disagree with me all they want, because like I said, 99% of law, especially civil tort law, is based on opinion, but don't call me a liar I NEVER SAID that robbery and speeding bring the same penalty. If all you and wrightme can do is lie about what people they are debating said, you need a new tactic. So prove your lies, or go back to the peanut gallery with the rest of the cop haters.

I

inNV

imported post

OP, page 6-I don't argue the fact that the PO could legally secure my gun during the traffic stop

wrightme, page 6-As has been mentioned ad nauseum, during the traffic stop, LE can be within their right to secure a firearm. We discussed that

And I still haven't got an answer to the 3 questions I asked. I guess you all are too busy making up lies, changing your story, and bringing up irrelevant things...

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

inNV wrote:
What a bunch of tools.

All of you, including the OP said that a PO may secure a weapon during a traffic stop, and Tim still keeps asking how was it lawful for him to do it in this case. YOU ALREADY SAID HE COULD.
Wow. What a thoughtful response. Thanks for the insult too. Nothing breeds intellectual discussion like resorting to childish name-calling.

Yes, a police officer, with RAS, can secure a weapon during a traffic stop. I am alleging the officer had no RAS. You clearly disagree that RAS is a prerequisite to violating the sovereignty of an individual. Why?

I have presented the case law that police rely upon (Terry v Ohio) to conduct investigations and infringe upon the 4th amendment rights of individuals who are not under arrest without a warrant. What do we disagree about in that regard?

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Prior to the Terry decision in 1968, any seizure of a weapon by a police officer would likely have been considered an unlawful search. The codification of the right to be free of search and seizure (US Constitution, Amendment 4) without a warrant is 200+ years old. The exceptions codified in law (NRS 171.123) are only 40 years old.

Remember, without the Terry guidelines (codified in Nevada law by NRS 171.123), police would have NO AUTHORITY to seize a weapon during a traffic stop. I have never argued that police may NEVER seize a weapon, only that they must have the unquestionable authority of law to do so, under the law.

NRS 171.1232 codifies what that unquestionable authority requires - "...armed with a dangerous weapon and is a threat..."). I question the authority with what I consider to be reasonable and valid points, and the only question I've asked, which you've never answered, is "What made him a threat?". Why am I flawed in my thinking - other than the fact that I disagree with you?

wrightme

imported post

inNV wrote:
What a bunch of tools. More people chiming in with irrelevant information. KBCraig, explain to me how what you "seen" as color of law applies anywhere in this case? Obviously you failed to read my explanation of color of law, which matches what you have "seen" pretty well.

Vegassteve, people can disagree with me all they want, because like I said, 99% of law, especially civil tort law, is based on opinion, but don't call me a liar I NEVER SAID that robbery and speeding bring the same penalty. If all you and wrightme can do is lie about what people they are debating said, you need a new tactic. So prove your lies, or go back to the peanut gallery with the rest of the cop haters.
Strawman. Get over it. I never claimed you did such. TimF proved your point for you about traffic stops. Instead of continuing your rants, maybe you could have at least acknowledged it. I agree with Tim that a traffic stop warrants securing a firearm, IF THE COP HAS RAS. From what the OP states, the cop did not have RAS, and did not show the actions that would lead others to believe that the cop felt that the OP was "armed AND dangerous."

"Armed" alone does not make it also "dangerous." The LE was willing to take his word that there were no other weapons, but was not willing to accept that a holstered weapon was not imminent danger?