Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: How do you answer questions from non-gunnies?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    462

    Post imported post

    When open carrying, how do you answer questions like "why are you carrying a gun?"

    Ive thought about it and cant come up with an answer that doesnt sound like i am being a dick. I would love to come up with something better than "because i can" but that is my first instinct.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    San Angelo, Texas, USA
    Posts
    301

    Post imported post

    For me, it depends on who is asking, and the tone that they are asking in.

    If its a person that is asking because they are curious, and there isnt an obviousnegative tone, I would reply with a"OC is legal in XXX state" type of remark, or possibly "I want to be able to protect myself and people around me if needed"

    If its a person that has a obviously negative tone, and is asking in a challenging manner, I would stick with the "because I can" type of answer. These people typically, but not always, wont see your logic either way, and spew their anti dribble.

    I usually dont carry any "informational" cards with me, but that is a good idea also.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    North Carolina, ,
    Posts
    169

    Post imported post

    The "because I can" is almost certainly not going to change anyones opinion on OC and is probably just going to add fuel to the fire for an Anti.

    I think a pleasent attitude and a calm demeanor is impossible to argue against, however if they insist on being rude you can just walk away(remember if there are people watching you maybe forming their schema towards gun owners, not only the person you are directly speaking too). You're going to run into people that don't argree with you everyday, this is America, our cultural melting pot doesn't allow for uniform thinking so you'll have to assume as much when you OC.

    You can't make everyone happy and it's frustrating, but when you give up and start letting dick comments fly out your mouth you are only reinforcing the negative stereotypes that gun owners are narrow minded conservatives.

    Just my 2cents.

  4. #4
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    mekender wrote:
    When open carrying, how do you answer questions like "why are you carrying a gun?"

    Ive thought about it and cant come up with an answer that doesnt sound like i am being a dick. I would love to come up with something better than "because i can" but that is my first instinct.
    Bad first instinct...


    "Because I can" is:

    a) a silly answer, and

    b) not the real reason you carry.

    Why not just tell the questioner something simple, accurate and understandable: "Self-defense."

    Everything else, all other details that could be spoken....come from that real reason.

    "Because I can" is schoolyard talk. Automatically lowers the speaker's IQ by 10 points ...



  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    462

    Post imported post

    well, i ask because a couple of weeks back, i had this gal behind the counter at a gas station ask "why are you carrying?" and i could tell that she was a bit scared of me. By the time i left the store, she was smiling and agreed that the most likely person to rob her store wouldnt be wearing a collared shirt tucked in to slacks with an open pistol on his belt.

  6. #6
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    Because I can and I feel that I should.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    678

    Post imported post

    I usually say for personal protection, and to show that law abiding citizens can and are are armed in our every day lives, not just criminals.

  8. #8
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    If there's no time for conversation, I'll simply state self defense. If it's in a social setting, however, I'll usually ask "Why not?".

    The response I get usually begins with :shock:...umm..:?....

    One rather forward (and obviously liberal) woman immediately said "well there are kids around!". I responded with "What in the heck does that have to do with a sidearm on my hip?". I acted genuinely surprised. She mumbled, stuttered, and then dropped the topic.

    I love asking why not. I'm honestly curious what they have to say!

  9. #9
    State Researcher .40 Cal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    COTEP FOREVER!, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,379

    Post imported post

    I euqate it to having insurance.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC, ,
    Posts
    1,025

    Post imported post

    I tend to tell them NC's an open carry state, I have a right to carry. Which is generally followed by, "Really?" Then let the education begin. In reality I live in a pretty pro 2a area. I think the anti's just know they are outnumbered. Must be the large number of pickups with big tires and gun racks.

  11. #11
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    DreQo wrote:
    If there's no time for conversation, I'll simply state self defense. If it's in a social setting, however, I'll usually ask "Why not?".

    The response I get usually begins with :shock:...umm..:?....

    One rather forward (and obviously liberal) woman immediately said "well there are kids around!". I responded with "What in the heck does that have to do with a sidearm on my hip?". I acted genuinely surprised. She mumbled, stuttered, and then dropped the topic.

    I love asking why not. I'm honestly curious what they have to say!
    I am the same way. I love asking questions about stuff that people think they know is true.

    It's a hoot when they get all mumbly, stuttery and it's evenentertaining when they can't carry on a logical or civil exchange and get spitting angry. I love that. FTF or on the forum, it's always educational. They simply don't know how bad they look...

  12. #12
    State Researcher .40 Cal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    COTEP FOREVER!, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,379

    Post imported post

    You're just an all around instigator, aint ya?

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    DreQo wrote:
    If there's no time for conversation, I'll simply state self defense. If it's in a social setting, however, I'll usually ask "Why not?".

    The response I get usually begins with :shock:...umm..:?....

    One rather forward (and obviously liberal) woman immediately said "well there are kids around!". I responded with "What in the heck does that have to do with a sidearm on my hip?". I acted genuinely surprised. She mumbled, stuttered, and then dropped the topic.

    I love asking why not. I'm honestly curious what they have to say!
    I am the same way. I love asking questions about stuff that people think they know is true.

    It's a hoot when they get all mumbly, stuttery and it's evenentertaining when they can't carry on a logical or civil exchange and get spitting angry. I love that. FTF or on the forum, it's always educational. They simply don't know how bad they look...
    QFT
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  14. #14
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Citizen wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    DreQo wrote:
    If there's no time for conversation, I'll simply state self defense. If it's in a social setting, however, I'll usually ask "Why not?".

    The response I get usually begins with :shock:...umm..:?....

    One rather forward (and obviously liberal) woman immediately said "well there are kids around!". I responded with "What in the heck does that have to do with a sidearm on my hip?". I acted genuinely surprised. She mumbled, stuttered, and then dropped the topic.

    I love asking why not. I'm honestly curious what they have to say!
    I am the same way. I love asking questions about stuff that people think they know is true.

    It's a hoot when they get all mumbly, stuttery and it's evenentertaining when they can't carry on a logical or civil exchange and get spitting angry. I love that. FTF or on the forum, it's always educational. They simply don't know how bad they look...
    QFT
    Building up your post count, Citizen?

    You're only 300 posts away from your goal of being OCDO Citizen No. 1...

    Looks like you'll make it by Halloween.





    7,618 Posts

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , , Kernersville NC
    Posts
    783

    Post imported post

    Why do you carry a cell phone?? These people are on my enemy list.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    215

    Post imported post

    .40 Cal wrote:
    I euqate it to having insurance.
    I equate it to wearing a seat belt. I wear it every day and I have never had to use it in the time I have been driving. That doesn't stop me from putting it on EVERY DAY.

    The other one I love (because I have a good friend who is a rather heavy set cop) is "I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy".



  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    771

    Post imported post

    wethepeople wrote:
    Why do you carry a cell phone?? These people are on my enemy list.
    Funny thing about that....how many people originally started carrying a cell phone "just in case"...? Exact same idea.
    States donít have rights. People do.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wentworth, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    142

    Post imported post

    Why carry a cell phone?

    why do you need insurance?

    And if they are willing to listen I will explain that the only defense against a crook with a handgun is being armed & willing and able to defend yourself with a handgun of your own.

    WELL, what about the police? It's thier job to protect us.

    This is one of the comments I get in return.

    My answer & the answer any "Thinking" person would know is that the police can't be everywhere.

    I'm 50 years old & I'm ashamed to say that it took some of my son's conversations with me to open my eyes to what's going on in the world around us every day.

    Just think about years past before 9/11 for a period of time there were planes being hijacked for awhile & most of the time they just wanted money or to go to another country but most of the time very few people got hurt.

    Fast forward to 9/11 the people on all but one of the planes probably knew they were being hijacked but that's ok we'll be ok. Only on the one plane after they found out the fate of the other plane & knew they were all going to die did anyone fight back.

    now most peoples mind set is I don't go in bad parts of town , I don't go to bars , If someone robs me I'll just give them my money & they'll leave me alone ,ect,ect,ect

    Now open your eyes & look at how many people get robbed & shot even if they gave the robber their money. This is happening more & more.

    WE NEED TO EDUCATE THESE SHEEP!!!!!!

  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,052

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    mekender wrote:
    When open carrying, how do you answer questions like "why are you carrying a gun?"

    Ive thought about it and cant come up with an answer that doesnt sound like i am being a dick. I would love to come up with something better than "because i can" but that is my first instinct.
    Bad first instinct...


    "Because I can" is:

    a) a silly answer, and

    b) not the real reason you carry.

    Why not just tell the questioner something simple, accurate and understandable: "Self-defense."

    Everything else, all other details that could be spoken....come from that real reason.

    "Because I can" is schoolyard talk. Automatically lowers the speaker's IQ by 10 points ...

    I disagree, I think it lowers the speaker's IQ by something more like 40 or 50 points. At that point, the questioner will instantly think you are a fool looking for trouble and will either seek to get away from you quickly or will move in the the mode of chastising you and asking you more rhetorical questions at your expense.

    As already stated as a deterrent and for self defense incase it does not work as a deterrent. If they want to know how you can do that legally, you tell them not only is it a constitutional right as a citizen of the United States of America, it is also, specifically allowed in some places of the public and private in the state (NC and some others, not all).

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wentworth, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    142

    Post imported post

    Why do I carry a gun?

    October 2007: A teenage gunman reportedly shoots and wounds five people at a high school in Cleveland, Ohio, before killing himself.
    April 2007: At least 32 people are killed in two shooting incidents in the campus of Virginia Tech university in Virginia.

    October 2006: A 32-year-old gunman shoots dead at least five girls at an Amish school in Pennsylvania, before killing himself
    September 2006: Gunman in Colorado shoots and fatally wounds a teenage schoolgirl, then kills himself; two days later a teenager kills the headteacher of a school in Cazenovia, Wisconsin
    November 2005: Student in Tennessee shoots dead an assistant principal and wounds two other administrators
    March 2005: Minnesota schoolboy kills nine, then shoots himself
    May 2004: Four people injured in shooting at a school in Maryland
    April 2003: Teenager shoots dead head-teacher at a Pennsylvania school, then kills himself
    March 2001: Pupil opens fire at a school in California, killing two students
    February 2000: Six-year-old girl shot dead by classmate in Michigan
    November 1999: Thirteen-year-old girl shot dead by a classmate in New Mexico
    May 1999: Student injures six pupils in shoot-out in Georgia
    April 1999: Two teenagers shoot dead 12 students and a teacher before killing themselves at Columbine School in Colorado
    June 1998: Two adults hurt in shooting by teenage student at high school in Virginia
    May 1998: Fifteen-year-old boy shoots himself in the head after taking a girl hostage
    May 1998: Fifteen-year-old shoots dead two students in school cafeteria in Oregon
    April 1998: Fourteen-year-old shoots dead a teacher and wounds two students in Pennsylvania
    March 1998: Two boys, 11 and 13, kill four girls and a teacher in Arkansas
    December 1997: Fourteen-year-old boy kills three students in Kentucky
    October 1997: Sixteen-year-old boy stabs mother, then shoots dead two students at school in Mississippi, injuring several others

    Better question Why DON'T you carry a gun?????

  21. #21
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,052

    Post imported post

    And that's only school shootings (and not all of them).

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    8

    Post imported post

    Living in forsyth county I get a surprising number of questions about my sidearm. we have a good mix of liberals and conservatives(and yes. a mix is a good thing. it gives us people to laugh at and keeps the wackos from strapping cannons to 4wheelers and driving down main street).

    I've had good and bad conversations with folks. Most of time I say I carry for personal protection. I find it quite hilarious that most Anti gun folk continue to push the issue. Always remember that when given enough rope....these people will hang themselves from the nearest branch. 90% of the time they say something about guns being threatening or scary. This is my favorite answer because I can give the calm, reasonable response of "Ma'am/Sir you obviously want to push some kind of agenda and make a scene. If you found my gun threatening I doubt you would have confronted me."

  23. #23
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,052

    Post imported post

    I would point ou that if Anne Pressly, the rather beautiful Arkansas news anchor that was raped and killed, had access to a gun, her chances of survival would have been far greater. No gun, no chance, she was murdered anyway. I don't like making women feel uncomfortable but I would point that attrocity out to them everytime they want to give me some kind of anti-gun argument. Pressly's face was smashed in and she was violated.

    I think I can find severalmore cases where someone was shot and killed, they didn't have a gun, so they never had the chance to defend themselves. If you run, you'll likely get shot in the back. Ifcover your face or body with your hands, they'll only serve as clues for detectives and medical examiners to determine you were affraid. I'd rather not take a chance on what someone is thinking about doing and take the chance to shoot them dead and send them into the eternal darkness in which they are destined before they do the same to me.

    To hell with not being armed.

  24. #24
    Regular Member lonewolf2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newton, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    120

    Post imported post

    tekshogun wrote:
    I would point ou that if Anne Pressly, the rather beautiful Arkansas news anchor that was raped and killed, had access to a gun, her chances of survival would have been far greater. No gun, no chance, she was murdered anyway. I don't like making women feel uncomfortable but I would point that attrocity out to them everytime they want to give me some kind of anti-gun argument. Pressly's face was smashed in and she was violated.

    I think I can find severalmore cases where someone was shot and killed, they didn't have a gun, so they never had the chance to defend themselves. If you run, you'll likely get shot in the back. Ifcover your face or body with your hands, they'll only serve as clues for detectives and medical examiners to determine you were affraid. I'd rather not take a chance on what someone is thinking about doing and take the chance to shoot them dead and send them into the eternal darkness in which they are destined before they do the same to me.

    To hell with not being armed.
    I like the last part and I agree with the rest. +1

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    204

    Post imported post

    "Why do you carry?"

    "Well, who do you think a potential mugger is going to go after, the guy carrying the gun or the one scared at the sight of a gun? I carry so he goes after you instead of me and I don't have to waste my time filling out a police report explaining why I killed a guy."

    ":shock:"

    That tends to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •