• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you answer questions from non-gunnies?

mekender

imported post

When open carrying, how do you answer questions like "why are you carrying a gun?"

Ive thought about it and cant come up with an answer that doesnt sound like i am being a dick. I would love to come up with something better than "because i can" but that is my first instinct.

usaf0906

imported post

For me, it depends on who is asking, and the tone that they are asking in.

If its a person that is asking because they are curious, and there isnt an obviousnegative tone, I would reply with a"OC is legal in XXX state" type of remark, or possibly "I want to be able to protect myself and people around me if needed"

If its a person that has a obviously negative tone, and is asking in a challenging manner, I would stick with the "because I can" type of answer. These people typically, but not always, wont see your logic either way, and spew their anti dribble.

I usually dont carry any "informational" cards with me, but that is a good idea also.

Myrighttocarry

imported post

The "because I can" is almost certainly not going to change anyones opinion on OC and is probably just going to add fuel to the fire for an Anti.

I think a pleasent attitude and a calm demeanor is impossible to argue against, however if they insist on being rude you can just walk away(remember if there are people watching you maybe forming their schema towards gun owners, not only the person you are directly speaking too). You're going to run into people that don't argree with you everyday, this is America, our cultural melting pot doesn't allow for uniform thinking so you'll have to assume as much when you OC.

You can't make everyone happy and it's frustrating, but when you give up and start letting dick comments fly out your mouth you are only reinforcing the negative stereotypes that gun owners are narrow minded conservatives.

Just my 2cents.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

mekender wrote:
When open carrying, how do you answer questions like "why are you carrying a gun?"

Ive thought about it and cant come up with an answer that doesnt sound like i am being a dick. I would love to come up with something better than "because i can" but that is my first instinct.
Bad first instinct...

"Because I can" is:

a) a silly answer, and

b) not the real reason you carry.

Why not just tell the questioner something simple, accurate and understandable: "Self-defense."

Everything else, all other details that could be spoken....come from that real reason.

"Because I can" is schoolyard talk. Automatically lowers the speaker's IQ by 10 points ...

mekender

imported post

well, i ask because a couple of weeks back, i had this gal behind the counter at a gas station ask "why are you carrying?" and i could tell that she was a bit scared of me. By the time i left the store, she was smiling and agreed that the most likely person to rob her store wouldnt be wearing a collared shirt tucked in to slacks with an open pistol on his belt.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

If there's no time for conversation, I'll simply state self defense. If it's in a social setting, however, I'll usually ask "Why not?".

The response I get usually begins with :shock:...umm..:?....

One rather forward (and obviously liberal) woman immediately said "well there are kids around!". I responded with "What in the heck does that have to do with a sidearm on my hip?". I acted genuinely surprised. She mumbled, stuttered, and then dropped the topic.

I love asking why not. I'm honestly curious what they have to say!

chiefjason

imported post

I tend to tell them NC's an open carry state, I have a right to carry. Which is generally followed by, "Really?" Then let the education begin. In reality I live in a pretty pro 2a area. I think the anti's just know they are outnumbered. Must be the large number of pickups with big tires and gun racks. :lol:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

DreQo wrote:
If there's no time for conversation, I'll simply state self defense. If it's in a social setting, however, I'll usually ask "Why not?".

One rather forward (and obviously liberal) woman immediately said "well there are kids around!". I responded with "What in the heck does that have to do with a sidearm on my hip?". I acted genuinely surprised. She mumbled, stuttered, and then dropped the topic.

I am the same way. I love asking questions about stuff that people think they know is true.

It's a hoot when they get all mumbly, stuttery and it's evenentertaining when they can't carry on a logical or civil exchange and get spitting angry. I love that. FTF or on the forum, it's always educational. They simply don't know how bad they look...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
DreQo wrote:

I am the same way. I love asking questions about stuff that people think they know is true.

It's a hoot when they get all mumbly, stuttery and it's evenentertaining when they can't carry on a logical or civil exchange and get spitting angry. I love that. FTF or on the forum, it's always educational. They simply don't know how bad they look...
QFT

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Citizen wrote:
HankT wrote:
DreQo wrote:

QFT

Building up your post count, Citizen?

You're only 300 posts away from your goal of being OCDO Citizen No. 1...

Looks like you'll make it by Halloween. :)

1240.jpg

7,618 Posts

nobama

imported post

Why do you carry a cell phone?? These people are on my enemy list.

ocgso

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
I euqate it to having insurance.

I equate it to wearing a seat belt. I wear it every day and I have never had to use it in the time I have been driving. That doesn't stop me from putting it on EVERY DAY.

The other one I love (because I have a good friend who is a rather heavy set cop) is "I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy".

REX681959

imported post

Why carry a cell phone?

why do you need insurance?

And if they are willing to listen I will explain that the only defense against a crook with a handgun is being armed & willing and able to defend yourself with a handgun of your own.

WELL, what about the police? It's thier job to protect us.

This is one of the comments I get in return.

My answer & the answer any "Thinking" person would know is that the police can't be everywhere.

I'm 50 years old & I'm ashamed to say that it took some of my son's conversations with me to open my eyes to what's going on in the world around us every day.

Just think about years past before 9/11 for a period of time there were planes being hijacked for awhile & most of the time they just wanted money or to go to another country but most of the time very few people got hurt.

Fast forward to 9/11 the people on all but one of the planes probably knew they were being hijacked but that's ok we'll be ok. Only on the one plane after they found out the fate of the other plane & knew they were all going to die did anyone fight back.

now most peoples mind set is I don't go in bad parts of town , I don't go to bars , If someone robs me I'll just give them my money & they'll leave me alone ,ect,ect,ect

Now open your eyes & look at how many people get robbed & shot even if they gave the robber their money. This is happening more & more.

WE NEED TO EDUCATE THESE SHEEP!!!!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::cuss::cuss::banghead:

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
mekender wrote:

Bad first instinct...

"Because I can" is:

a) a silly answer, and

b) not the real reason you carry.

Why not just tell the questioner something simple, accurate and understandable: "Self-defense."

Everything else, all other details that could be spoken....come from that real reason.

"Because I can" is schoolyard talk. Automatically lowers the speaker's IQ by 10 points ...

I disagree, I think it lowers the speaker's IQ by something more like 40 or 50 points. At that point, the questioner will instantly think you are a fool looking for trouble and will either seek to get away from you quickly or will move in the the mode of chastising you and asking you more rhetorical questions at your expense.

As already stated as a deterrent and for self defense incase it does not work as a deterrent. If they want to know how you can do that legally, you tell them not only is it a constitutional right as a citizen of the United States of America, it is also, specifically allowed in some places of the public and private in the state (NC and some others, not all).

REX681959

imported post

Why do I carry a gun?

October 2007: A teenage gunman reportedly shoots and wounds five people at a high school in Cleveland, Ohio, before killing himself.
April 2007: At least 32 people are killed in two shooting incidents in the campus of Virginia Tech university in Virginia.

October 2006: A 32-year-old gunman shoots dead at least five girls at an Amish school in Pennsylvania, before killing himself
September 2006: Gunman in Colorado shoots and fatally wounds a teenage schoolgirl, then kills himself; two days later a teenager kills the headteacher of a school in Cazenovia, Wisconsin
November 2005: Student in Tennessee shoots dead an assistant principal and wounds two other administrators
March 2005: Minnesota schoolboy kills nine, then shoots himself
May 2004: Four people injured in shooting at a school in Maryland
April 2003: Teenager shoots dead head-teacher at a Pennsylvania school, then kills himself
March 2001: Pupil opens fire at a school in California, killing two students
February 2000: Six-year-old girl shot dead by classmate in Michigan
November 1999: Thirteen-year-old girl shot dead by a classmate in New Mexico
May 1999: Student injures six pupils in shoot-out in Georgia
April 1999: Two teenagers shoot dead 12 students and a teacher before killing themselves at Columbine School in Colorado
June 1998: Two adults hurt in shooting by teenage student at high school in Virginia
May 1998: Fifteen-year-old boy shoots himself in the head after taking a girl hostage
May 1998: Fifteen-year-old shoots dead two students in school cafeteria in Oregon
April 1998: Fourteen-year-old shoots dead a teacher and wounds two students in Pennsylvania
March 1998: Two boys, 11 and 13, kill four girls and a teacher in Arkansas
December 1997: Fourteen-year-old boy kills three students in Kentucky
October 1997: Sixteen-year-old boy stabs mother, then shoots dead two students at school in Mississippi, injuring several others

Better question Why DON'T you carry a gun?????