• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you answer questions from non-gunnies?

lennon336

imported post

Living in forsyth county I get a surprising number of questions about my sidearm. we have a good mix of liberals and conservatives(and yes. a mix is a good thing. it gives us people to laugh at and keeps the wackos from strapping cannons to 4wheelers and driving down main street).

I've had good and bad conversations with folks. Most of time I say I carry for personal protection. I find it quite hilarious that most Anti gun folk continue to push the issue. Always remember that when given enough rope....these people will hang themselves from the nearest branch. 90% of the time they say something about guns being threatening or scary. This is my favorite answer because I can give the calm, reasonable response of "Ma'am/Sir you obviously want to push some kind of agenda and make a scene. If you found my gun threatening I doubt you would have confronted me."

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I would point ou that if Anne Pressly, the rather beautiful Arkansas news anchor that was raped and killed, had access to a gun, her chances of survival would have been far greater. No gun, no chance, she was murdered anyway. I don't like making women feel uncomfortable but I would point that attrocity out to them everytime they want to give me some kind of anti-gun argument. Pressly's face was smashed in and she was violated.

I think I can find severalmore cases where someone was shot and killed, they didn't have a gun, so they never had the chance to defend themselves. If you run, you'll likely get shot in the back. Ifcover your face or body with your hands, they'll only serve as clues for detectives and medical examiners to determine you were affraid. I'd rather not take a chance on what someone is thinking about doing and take the chance to shoot them dead and send them into the eternal darkness in which they are destined before they do the same to me.

To hell with not being armed.

lonewolf2810

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
I would point ou that if Anne Pressly, the rather beautiful Arkansas news anchor that was raped and killed, had access to a gun, her chances of survival would have been far greater. No gun, no chance, she was murdered anyway. I don't like making women feel uncomfortable but I would point that attrocity out to them everytime they want to give me some kind of anti-gun argument. Pressly's face was smashed in and she was violated.

I think I can find severalmore cases where someone was shot and killed, they didn't have a gun, so they never had the chance to defend themselves. If you run, you'll likely get shot in the back. Ifcover your face or body with your hands, they'll only serve as clues for detectives and medical examiners to determine you were affraid. I'd rather not take a chance on what someone is thinking about doing and take the chance to shoot them dead and send them into the eternal darkness in which they are destined before they do the same to me.

To hell with not being armed.
I like the last part and I agree with the rest. +1

ABNinfantryman

imported post

"Why do you carry?"

"Well, who do you think a potential mugger is going to go after, the guy carrying the gun or the one scared at the sight of a gun? I carry so he goes after you instead of me and I don't have to waste my time filling out a police report explaining why I killed a guy."

":shock:"

That tends to work.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was asked once if I carried a gun because I was expecting trouble. I smiled and said I wasn't expecting any trouble, but that most of the past victems of violantcrime weren't expecting trouble either. I added that I perfer to be prepared, just incase.

My answer was exceptable to the inquirer.

I once told some out of town hunters that I OC'd in hopes of discuraging liberals from moving into our community. They got a good chuckle out of that one, and told me I should carry 2 guns (one on each side) to insure that the libs would see them from either side.

Beau

imported post

REX681959 wrote:
Why do I carry a gun?

October 2007: A teenage gunman reportedly shoots and wounds five people at a high school in Cleveland, Ohio, before killing himself.
April 2007: At least 32 people are killed in two shooting incidents in the campus of Virginia Tech university in Virginia.

October 2006: A 32-year-old gunman shoots dead at least five girls at an Amish school in Pennsylvania, before killing himself
September 2006: Gunman in Colorado shoots and fatally wounds a teenage schoolgirl, then kills himself; two days later a teenager kills the headteacher of a school in Cazenovia, Wisconsin
November 2005: Student in Tennessee shoots dead an assistant principal and wounds two other administrators
March 2005: Minnesota schoolboy kills nine, then shoots himself
May 2004: Four people injured in shooting at a school in Maryland
April 2003: Teenager shoots dead head-teacher at a Pennsylvania school, then kills himself
March 2001: Pupil opens fire at a school in California, killing two students
February 2000: Six-year-old girl shot dead by classmate in Michigan
November 1999: Thirteen-year-old girl shot dead by a classmate in New Mexico
May 1999: Student injures six pupils in shoot-out in Georgia
April 1999: Two teenagers shoot dead 12 students and a teacher before killing themselves at Columbine School in Colorado
June 1998: Two adults hurt in shooting by teenage student at high school in Virginia
May 1998: Fifteen-year-old boy shoots himself in the head after taking a girl hostage
May 1998: Fifteen-year-old shoots dead two students in school cafeteria in Oregon
April 1998: Fourteen-year-old shoots dead a teacher and wounds two students in Pennsylvania
March 1998: Two boys, 11 and 13, kill four girls and a teacher in Arkansas
December 1997: Fourteen-year-old boy kills three students in Kentucky
October 1997: Sixteen-year-old boy stabs mother, then shoots dead two students at school in Mississippi, injuring several others

Better question Why DON'T you carry a gun?????

Your logic is flawed in that what looks like all of the incidents you mentioned took place at a school.

Flaw # 1. It is illegal to carry a firearm into a school. Therefore none of the above incidents could have happened.

Flaw # 2. If you were carrying in a school to possibly prevent one of these incidents that don't happen from happening, you are breaking the law. After all it is illegal to carry in a school.

The gun-free school zone law is probably the most irritating to me. Our parents and teachers should not be stripped of the means to protect our younsters.

In response to "Why are you carrying a gun." One of my favorites is "Why aren't you?"

REX681959

imported post

Came up with a good answer on the spot the other day.

I said " Do you play the lottery? "

Sure every now & then.

Why??

Well I know the chance of winning is slim but you never know

I just smiled & walked away :lol::lol::lol::lol:

jp49911

imported post

Sometimes I respond to this by "Well how else would I get to it if I didn't carry it :??"

We talked about this at the last triad OC meet, but people who are "pro-gun" but think you should only have one at home are worse than non-gunnies.

The DOJ states that 87% of violent crimes occur outside the home.

People who have a gun at home, unloaded, in a lock box, with a child safety lock, in the top of their closet, have NO practical use for their weapon as a defense tool inside or outside of their home.

The only practical use I can think of for that type of gun owner is retaliation.

REX681959

imported post

I actually came up with the perfect answer for me. I even printed it on some business cards to hand out.

[align=center]FRONT[/align]

[align=center]Why do I carry a gun?[/align]

[align=center]BACK[/align]

[align=center]Do you play the lottery????[/align]

[align=center]Did you know that your chances of,[/align]

[align=center]Winning the lottery ---------1 in 195,249,054[/align]

[align=center]Being the victim of a SERIOUS CRIME--------1 in 20[/align]

[align=center]Being MURDERED---------1 in 18,000[/align]

[align=center]SO YOU'LL SPEND $$$$ ON THELOTTERY BUTWON'T SPENT THE MONEY [/align]

[align=center]FOR A HANDGUN TO DEFEND YOU & MAYBE YOUR LOVED ONES??????[/align]

[align=center]My life is obviously worth more to me than yours is to you. [/align]

ocgso

imported post

DreQo wrote:
If there's no time for conversation, I'll simply state self defense. If it's in a social setting, however, I'll usually ask "Why not?".

The response I get usually begins with :shock:...umm..:?....

One rather forward (and obviously liberal) woman immediately said "well there are kids around!". I responded with "What in the heck does that have to do with a sidearm on my hip?". I acted genuinely surprised. She mumbled, stuttered, and then dropped the topic.

I love asking why not. I'm honestly curious what they have to say!
I agree.....I love when I have time to ask why not:celebrate

ocgso

imported post

Beau wrote:
REX681959 wrote:
Why do I carry a gun?

October 2007: A teenage gunman reportedly shoots and wounds five people at a high school in Cleveland, Ohio, before killing himself.
April 2007: At least 32 people are killed in two shooting incidents in the campus of Virginia Tech university in Virginia.

October 2006: A 32-year-old gunman shoots dead at least five girls at an Amish school in Pennsylvania, before killing himself
September 2006: Gunman in Colorado shoots and fatally wounds a teenage schoolgirl, then kills himself; two days later a teenager kills the headteacher of a school in Cazenovia, Wisconsin
November 2005: Student in Tennessee shoots dead an assistant principal and wounds two other administrators
March 2005: Minnesota schoolboy kills nine, then shoots himself
May 2004: Four people injured in shooting at a school in Maryland
April 2003: Teenager shoots dead head-teacher at a Pennsylvania school, then kills himself
March 2001: Pupil opens fire at a school in California, killing two students
February 2000: Six-year-old girl shot dead by classmate in Michigan
November 1999: Thirteen-year-old girl shot dead by a classmate in New Mexico
May 1999: Student injures six pupils in shoot-out in Georgia
April 1999: Two teenagers shoot dead 12 students and a teacher before killing themselves at Columbine School in Colorado
June 1998: Two adults hurt in shooting by teenage student at high school in Virginia
May 1998: Fifteen-year-old boy shoots himself in the head after taking a girl hostage
May 1998: Fifteen-year-old shoots dead two students in school cafeteria in Oregon
April 1998: Fourteen-year-old shoots dead a teacher and wounds two students in Pennsylvania
March 1998: Two boys, 11 and 13, kill four girls and a teacher in Arkansas
December 1997: Fourteen-year-old boy kills three students in Kentucky
October 1997: Sixteen-year-old boy stabs mother, then shoots dead two students at school in Mississippi, injuring several others

Better question Why DON'T you carry a gun?????

Your logic is flawed in that what looks like all of the incidents you mentioned took place at a school.

Flaw # 1. It is illegal to carry a firearm into a school. Therefore none of the above incidents could have happened.

Flaw # 2. If you were carrying in a school to possibly prevent one of these incidents that don't happen from happening, you are breaking the law. After all it is illegal to carry in a school.

The gun-free school zone law is probably the most irritating to me. Our parents and teachers should not be stripped of the means to protect our younsters.

In response to "Why are you carrying a gun." One of my favorites is "Why aren't you?"

I agree 100%.

The fact that I am not allowed to take my firearm to work I feel puts me at risk every day. I am in my eighth year of teaching and have had three weapons brought into my classes in that time. Twice and knife, and once a gun.

I feel that my job is more dangerous than if I were a deputy sheriff, and that is a crying damn shame.

I say again, how many more school shootings will it take to let at least CCH permit holders carry on the job!!!

Law makers need to teach at troubled schools and see how scary it can be.