• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Advertise for OCDO

GeneticsDave

imported post

OK, since SGT Jensen wouldn't share the template he used to paint "open carry dot org" on his Blackhawk SERPA, I had to come up with something on my own.

I have some full page label sheets, so I ran one through the laser printer and made my own sticker. I'm not sure how well/long this will hold up, but I thought I would give it a try (plus, it's not permanent).

Here it is:

If you advertise for OCDO, please post pics of what you use and how you use it. Thanks!

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Copycat. :p Since my GLOCK 23 now lives with you, here is my GLOCK 35 in the 23's old home.

CIMG1166.jpg

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah, I noticed the size difference. What do you mean you couldn't do what I did?

You can't fool me with the blacked out serial number. I know what it is...... ;)

b1ack5mith

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Copycat. :p Since my GLOCK 23 now lives with you, here is my GLOCK 35 in the 23's old home.

CIMG1166.jpg

nice rear end there kevin!

HEY were gettin up around 8 to go fishing at spring lake (between payson and santaquin) wanna meet up sometime there? weel probably be there around 10ish unless we decide to not get up :p ill be OCing my revolver (never know when loch ness monster is gonna pop out!) give me a call whenever you get up! and on sunday, trev and i MIGHT be hiking to the top of west mountain to get some pics of the valley!

GeneticsDave

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Yeah, I noticed the size difference. What do you mean you couldn't do what I did?
I don't think I'd have enough room on the holster to stencil anything - the letters would have to be pretty small. Seems on your holster, there's a lot more room to wotk with.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I wonder why they changed the design? :question:

I like how my holster covers more of the slide, but I like how yours has the groove for your finger behind the release button.

b1ack5mith wrote:
nice rear end there kevin!
Hey, that's "badonkadonk" to you. :uhoh:

thx997303

imported post

I think they probably changed it to eliminate scraping your finger on the extra length.

I like that finger groove, may need to get a spare Serpa.

mqondo

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
I wonder why they changed the design? :question:
I actually asked them about that. There used to be a problem with at least one of their holsters, maybe more. With the higher sidewall, like SGT Jensen has, the S&W M&P compact would sometimes catch the trigger on the sidewall of the holster, and cause it to fire. They had enough problems that they changed the design to a lower profile holster. I had read some reviews about that problem, cuz my g/f has a M&P compact. I emailed Blackhawk, and they told me that they redesigned the holster to prevent the issue. It may have happened with a couple other types of firearms, but I'm not sure. That is the reason that they changed the design, at least from what they told me.
I bet you could stencil it on the newer holsters. Just use a the same size letters that GeneticsDave has on his. I bet it would work out great. If I was good enough to do it, maybe I would try. Maybe I'll try out a couple things, and if I can get something that looks decent, I'll post the pics.

thx997303

imported post

Well, that sounds pretty inconceivable. I don't have a holster for an M&P compact, but couldn't see it happening with my XD.

mqondo

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Well, that sounds pretty inconceivable. I don't have a holster for an M&P compact, but couldn't see it happening with my XD.
I'm guessing that if it was so inconceivable, they wouldn't have changed the design. It could very well be that the people that had issues with these holsters were doing something quite wrong. Who knows. I'm just relaying the information that the manufacturer gave me.

mqondo

imported post

Here is a pic of the size font that I'll be using on my OC rig. I made it in Microsoft Word using the "Arial Black" font, with a font size of 30. I'm going to somehow make a stencil of it. Either using an exacto knife, or some other way, so that I can paint it on.
OCLOGO.jpg

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

mqondo wrote:
I'm going to somehow make a stencil of it. Either using an exacto knife, or some other way, so that I can paint it on.
Save yourself some heartache, and buy a 99 cent stencil at Wally World. This is similar to what I used.

ats-casualalpha58.jpg

GeneticsDave

imported post

Sounds like it was only an issue with certain firearms. And yes, I imagine you'd have to be doing it REALLY wrong or fast to cause a problem. Either way, it's liability for BlackHawk!, so I can understand changing it... just sucks to have less advertising space.

mqondo

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
mqondo wrote:
I'm going to somehow make a stencil of it. Either using an exacto knife, or some other way, so that I can paint it on.
Save yourself some heartache, and buy a 99 cent stencil at Wally World.
You must be assuming that I have the ability to line up the letters properly. :p I found out that I have a friend that does the vinyl stencils. You may have seen similar things in stores, where they vinyl is on a piece of wood that says something like "take off your shoes". Anyway, I'm gonna ask what it would cost to have a few made up. They won't last as long as paint, but if it either costs too much or doesn't work well, I'll just go to Wally's and try the stencil as SGT Jensen suggests.
-Oh, and if they don't cost too much, I could get a bunch made and hand them out.

Francis Marion

imported post

Here's the trick that worked for this large stencil job: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/francis-marion/Jeep005.jpg

Buy a roll of blue painters tape, your favorite can of spray paint, and SGT J's stencil card. Place a strip of tape on a flat surface that will release the tape easily. Use a sharp pencil to draw the letters on the tape. Use an exacto knife to cut the tape into a stencil. Carefully lift the tape and place it on your holster. Mask off the rest of the holster and apply several light coats of paint.