• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Harassed at abortion clinic for OC'ing

Dreamer

imported post

I'm not going to engage you in an abortion debate. This is not the place for that. In fact, I'm NOT pro-abortion. I was adopted as an infant--if abortion had been legal in 1965, I probably would not be here.

But I'm also not pro-vigilante, and I think that the sorts of people who shoot, bomb, and otherwise assault the medical personnel involved in this issue are dangerous, evil, and criminal. We HAVE a method for dealing with laws we don't agree with here in this country--it's called the Judiciary. Shooting people because you don't agree with them is wrong. I think we can all agree with that. I'm not accusing you of wanting to do that, but I think maybe you should understand what might have been going through that cop's mind when he saw you carrying at this "assembly".

The point I'm making is that under NC statute, what you did WAS a violation, plain and simple. And post "Tiller", I think it's pretty reasonable for people to get a little twitchy when someone shows up at one of these "peaceable assemblies" carrying a firearm.

I don't think your right to "peaceably assemble" should be abridged. If you want to hang out around business you disagree with, that is your right. But under NC law, you CAN NOT "willfully or intentionally possess, or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon" if you are demonstrating upon a health care facility, EVEN if you are not "on their property". The law is pretty clear and straightforward on that point. and the 1A right to peaceable assembly doesn't really even apply here--it is not about demonstrations on private property (and as you were not on the street, but in what looks like a parking lot, I assume it WAS somebody else's private property), or about disagreement with private businesses, it is about addressing the government for redress of grievances. Again, if you're going to be an activist, you REALLY ought to know the law a little better.

Go ahead and "assemble" away, man. But you probably should leave your firearm at home when you do. After "Tiller", folks (and understandably, LEOs) get a little twitchy when someone shows up near an abortion facility with a gun. I think you can probably understand why.

Have a little common sense...

Yes, the cop DID handle this situation incorrectly. He was out of line, and he was probably acting like he did because he had, based on recent cases in other parts of the country, the reasonable suspicion that a person with a gun hanging out near an abortion clinic is probably NOT something to be taken lightly.

He shouldn't have asked for a permit, or your ID, or what your age was or ANY of that nonsense. He was out of line, outside procedure, and his frustration and agitation with the situation was probably due partly because you made a DUMB call by carrying there and he thought he might possibly have some sort of "Scott Roeder" on his hands, and partly because, although he thought there might be some law against it, he didn't know the specific statute you were violating.

He SHOULD have told you straight up that you were being charged with a Class 1 misdemeanor in violation of NC Statute 14-415.11(c). Then, he should have officially arrested you, disarmed you, asked for your ID, and then called for backup. At that point, if you had continued to be non-compliant, he could have easily slapped you with a Class 2 Misdemeanor of "Resisting Arrest". You are VERY lucky that this particular officer doesn't know the law very well...

If you're going to be an activist, be it for 2A, 1A, or whatever, you need to be VERY well-versed in the laws that pertain to your activities. In this situation, you were not.

Luckily for you, this officer didn't know the law either.

Next time, you might not be so lucky...

I mean, would you OC to a pro 2A rally in Washington DC? If you want to argue "right and wrong" vs. "legal vs illegal", that is a perfect example where discretion is the better part of valor. It is illegal to carry in DC. That law is wrong--I think we can all agree with the fact that the DC prohibition on OC is wrong, ethically, morally, and even Constitutionally. But I think any rational person would probably follow it, and leave their firearm at home when attending a rally in DC.

The same thing applies here. Under NC law, it's illegal to carry at this sort of gathering. The entire reason y'all were there is to "assemble for a redress of grievances". You disagree with the morals and legality of the services being performed at this facility. And that is your right. But under NC statutes, if you ARE engaged in such a display, you ARE NOT permitted to posses a firearm during your activity. At least that's the way I read the law. But again, IANAL...

Someone REALLY needs to get this statute interpretation cleared up with the NC AG, or qualified legal counsel. Honestly, I'm now very curious as to what the NC AG would say in instances such as this. I may have to make a phone call Monday...

jp49911

imported post

I get a lot of where you are coming from now and I agree with more of your reasoning. Although I still disagree with you I understand your position.

Your original post seemed, to me at least, to make a leap from me carrying a weapon to assuming I was doing so to enact violence. You posted several clips of abortion doctors being killed as to make a link between murdering someone and me carrying a gun.

That would be like someone on this forum posting a bunch of links about convenience store murders in response to someone carrying in a convenience store. I'm sure you wouldn't argue that there are more abortion doctors killed then convenience store shootings. So does that mean that an officer is justified in assuming you are up to no good for carrying at a convenience store.

Also, I was a good 60-70 ft away from where I started recording. The parking lot was that of a restaurant that has asked no one to leave so his trespassing accusation was bogus.

I did not comply with any of his demands because I was not legally required to do so. There is no law that says I have to have an ID so him asking for one is an assumption that I have one.

I would have identified myself with my name and the county I am residence of if he'd have asked. but he didn't and I'm not volunteering ANY information.

If he assumed I was too young, that's a presumption of guilt not innocence (which is wrong). If he thought I was breaking the law, he should have arrested me, like you said, vs asking me questions UNLESS his questions were of an investigatory nature.

If he's asking me questions because I'm being investigated for a crime, immediately my right to remain silence is invoked, which I would have without question used. I would not have resisted arrest. I would have complied and dealt with it in court.

I would take my chances in court. They would have to prove that it was a demonstration and that I was there for the demonstration. The later would have been difficult on their part as I had no sign, no literature, and people walk by that area and talk to the people assembling on a regular basis.

That is actually how I met the people assembled there. I was walking down the same street a few months back (OC'ing as I always do) saw people with signs and stopped to talk with them. That day I was walking because my car was right up the street getting serviced. So when I stopped to talk was I demonstrating then?

Also, when you talk about upon any private health care facility I would take my chances with that too. "In this statute, the word "upon" is not designating a temporal location, but rather it is a to designate the party against which you are demonstrating. You could be in Charlotte demonstrating against an "abortion clinic" located in Fayetteville, and if you were carrying, according to this statute, you would be guilty"

If that is the case they would have to prove I was demonstrating "against" the clinic, which I was most certainly not. I was standing "against" the act of abortion. I stand "against" things I feel are wrong no matter where I am. So am I demonstrating everywhere I go? If I were in Walmart and got into a conversation about abortion and took a stand "against" it and I was OC'ing am I demonstrating in violation of this statute?

If upon means on the property then it is pretty cut and dry that I am good to go.

I would also challenge the definition of health care facility. I think I would have a legal argument that they don't provide health care. I might not win that one but if Bill Clinton can debate the definition of "is" I should t least get to the state supreme court with this one. Even if they use the claim that some of their clients are murdering their unborn babies for health reasons, I would look into the percentage of that.

Just like there has to be a certain amount of business that comes from alcohol for a place to be considered a bar, I would argue that you can't be considered a "heath care facility" when 1% of your practice is for the health of the mother.

I think it would ultimately bring up the fact that the law is written poorly and is vague.

WORST case scenario I would rely on jury nullification. Gaging from the comments on YouTube I think I would have a good chance of people saying this is a dumb statute.

With all of the things they would have to prove that I would argue against and the fact that I would remain silent after being arrested (most peoples downfall is running their mouth). I think it would have been more difficult than they, and you, assume.

How can you be so dogmatic that I was breaking this statute and I was lucky he didn't know it and then turn around and say "Someone REALLY needs to get this statute interpretation cleared up with the NC AG".

The detective that came spent plenty of time looking through statutes. I'm sure the cop was looking too with all the time he spent on his cell phone and walkie talkie. I was there for about 45 minutes after this video ended. Plenty of time for them to look it up and arrest me if I was in violation.

I'll be there next week to see if those people are assembled again and I'll gladly send you a message for your curiosity if anything of interest happens.

DanM

imported post

jp49911 wrote:
It's more important and more courageous to contend for the rights of my neighbor than to only take a stand when injustice is on my doorstep.

I'm fully supportive ofand agree with your actions related to this police encounter.Your quote above is key to understanding the correctness of what you did. It rings similar to a well-known quote that we all should bear in mind:

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak outbecause I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

--Martin Niemöller

I am pro-choice, but when they come for the pro-life folks (i.e., oppressing theirpeaceful exercise of their rights)I WILL speak outagainst (and lawfully video/audio document)such oppression.

johnjohnson

imported post

Great! Another one of the 'trained' brown-shirt jack-booted government thug Gestapo wannabes who would make Hitler green with envy. Don't get me wrong, I love ALL of our armed forces (I'm a highly decorated Vietnam vet), the CIA, the DIA, the FBI and the NSA and others but, ALL local and state policing should be done by CITIZEN militias. This is precisely what happens when BIG governments are allowed to fester. ALL 'Public Employee Unions' must be dismantled. Our founding fathers warned us about BIG governmentS, Federal, state and LOCAL.

johnjohnson

imported post

Great! Another one of the 'trained' brown-shirt jack-booted government thug Gestapo wannabes who would make Hitler green with envy. Don't get me wrong, I love ALL of our armed forces (I'm a highly decorated Vietnam vet), the CIA, the DIA, the FBI and the NSA and others but, ALL local and state policing should be done by CITIZEN militias. This is precisely what happens when BIG governments are allowed to fester. ALL 'Public Employee Unions' must be dismantled. Our founding fathers warned us about BIG governmentS, Federal, state and LOCAL.

jp49911

imported post

DanM wrote:
jp49911 wrote:
It's more important and more courageous to contend for the rights of my neighbor than to only take a stand when injustice is on my doorstep.

I'm fully supportive ofand agree with your actions related to this police encounter.Your quote above is key to understanding the correctness of what you did. It rings similar to a well-known quote that we all should bear in mind:

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak outbecause I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

--Martin Niemöller

I am pro-choice, but when they come for the pro-life folks (i.e., oppressing theirpeaceful exercise of their rights)I WILL speak outagainst (and lawfully video/audio document)such oppression.
Thanks for posting this. I was going to post it myself as this is the essence of why I went over.

jp49911

imported post

Just for anyone who questions my motive please read he post above. Also know that had he simply said something like "I need you to keep your distance" I would have GLADLY complied. He could have done what he was going to do, I would have a record of the situation and he rest would have been without incident.

Honestly look at who escalated the situation.

Thanks for all who support! The response on here, YouTube and FB is encouraging!

Freedom Lives!

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

This map was on another forum. Is it accurate?

Clinic%20screen.png.jpg

JDriver1.8t

imported post

The map is correct, in that it is private property. It does not address who's in control of what parts of the property though.

Each building or establishment would have clearly defined areas that 'belong' to it in their individual leases with the properties owner or management group.

Vegassteve

imported post

NCjones wrote:
Now the question I have is how do you make your camera upload directly thru the internet? This would be a great asset to have in case they were to "accidentally drop" your phone while detaining you and destroyed your evidence stored on a card.

I use a service called QIK it is fre and will upload video in real time from my phone.

NCjones

imported post

Well, this is just my opinion, but I wouldn't have OC'd at a "peaceful assembly" such as this.  We all know that your wordplay is just another name for an abortion clinic protest.  I don't object to your right to peacfully assemble, to protest, or to open carry, but sometime common sense should prevail.  Due to the past problems at abortion clinics, I don't blame the officer for grilling you with questions.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

jp49911 wrote:
HankT wrote:
jp49911 wrote:
HankT wrote:
jp49911 wrote:
HankT wrote:
jp49911 wrote:
I was standing on the corner of the street where an abortion clinic is "peaceably assembling" (NOT protesting). Two GPOs came up and were harassing one of the other people assembled. I walked up with phone out recording, when they notice I was open carrying (Smith & Wesson M&P .40).

How were the two GPOs "harrasing one of the other people assembled?"

Be specific, please.
They came and told them they needed to move from where they were. The police have been out there before and we have checked the property line, so we know where we can stand.

Once they saw that we knew where we could and could not be and would assert our right to stand where we wanted, it turned into classic "I'm a police officer you BETTER do what I say regardless of the lawfulness of the order" intimidation tactics.

Statements like: "If you don't move up there I will physically move you up there" etc.
Did you know these details before you walked up (OCing) to the officer/citizens confrontation that was filmed?
No. Are you trying to imply that I needed to know the situation before I recorded it? Where are you going with this line of questioning? If you are trying to make a statement, feel free to do so...

So if you didn't know the details before you walked up, how could you know that those guys were getting "harrassed?" If you didn't know they were being "harassed,"what was your rationale for walking over there (OCing) to become part of the LEO/citizens interaction?

Also, were you part of the group that was "peaceably assembling?" Did you know those guys? Talk to them before you started filming?

I'm curious.
I didn't "know" they were getting harassed when I first walked up but deductive reasoning told me it was very likely they were because I watched them from far off for about 10-15 min. before I approached.

I put "Harassed" in the title because after the fact I "KNEW" that they had been harassed.

Yes I was peaceably assembling there and I knew those people.
This incident reminds me of the following OC/LE arrest situation that occurred two years ago in Suffolk, VA.

The basic structure isstrikingly similar.The OCer rationale of wanting to investigate a police/citizen interaction (he wasuninvolvedin) because of potential "harassing" is the same. Luckily for jp, it didn't turn into an arrest. But there are some lessons to be learned from both incidents, I think.

BMWAG arrested AND jailed

On Oct 21 around 7:35pm, I went to walk down a street because I was notified that the police were speaking to a young man. In this particular neighborhood, the police come frequently and seem to harass the young black kids. I went to see what exactly was going on.

I approached armed with my firearm in my holster. I asked, "what's going on?". They replied there were just doing an investigation. They then proceeded to ask me to put my hands on my head so that they can disarm me. I declined and asked why. I was told the "for officer safety" line. I asked if I was free to go or was I being detained. They said I was being detained. They also affirmed that I wasn't doing anything illegal. At this point, I turned on my voice recorder and got the KEY point in the arrest. They asked for my ID, which I declined repeatedly. So they arrested me with Obstructing justice (18.2-460).

I did get a voice recording of 80% of the encounter, however the arresting officer took it as evidence.

I was cuffed, taken back to the car, searched, and placed in the car. At no time, did I ever get Mirandarized.

It's hard being black and armed.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=5701

KyleKatern

imported post

NCjones wrote:
Well, this is just my opinion, but I wouldn't have OC'd at a "peaceful assembly" such as this.  We all know that your wordplay is just another name for an abortion clinic protest.  I don't object to your right to peacfully assemble, to protest, or to open carry, but sometime common sense should prevail.  Due to the past problems at abortion clinics, I don't blame the officer for grilling you with questions.

I'm always amused by the cops that think that you are required by law to have some sort of ID.  If you are not driving, CC'ing, or some other activity that requires you legally to be in possesion of an ID, then an ID is totally optional, at least in North Carolina.  It seems to always piss them off when you tell them you don't have any ID in your possession.  

Next time a cop asks for your ID, give him your business card!  Then he cannot allege that you refused to provide ID or "impeded his investigation".  After all, if a business card is all you have, then thats all you have.  You certainly cannot provide what you don't have. 

Like I said earlier, there's just places that I wouldn't OC even though I know it is legal.  It just isn't worth the hassle from the cops or the ride to the station even if the charges are dropped later by the DA.

Well, he has stated that he was not 'AT' the group, he was at a business, to get his car serviced, and he approached the group when he saw the police presence.

NCjones wrote:
"I went to see what exactly was going on. "
Another case of a civilian with his nose stuck where it doesn't belong. If you think there's some wrongdoing by the police the place to take that up is with the Mayor and police department and if that gets no results, the SBI or FBI.

"I approached armed with my firearm in my holster. I asked, "what's going on?".
(..and the cop said none of your @#$%ing business!)....and he's bitching because the police detained him? I woulda jacked him and charged him with interferring with an investigation. If you think an encounter between police and suspect is somehow your business, you need to observe and/or record the incident from like across the street, not walking up with a piece acting like you have some kind of statutory authority.

"I did get a voice recording of 80% of the encounter, however the arresting officer took it as evidence. "
Good going idiot. You are the best witness the prosecution has against you.

"At no time, did I ever get Mirandarized."
Irrelevant. You watch too much COPS on TV. You don't have to be mirandized just because you are arrested.

"It's hard being black and armed."
Playing the race card always adds credibility to your complaint..........NOT.
Should be "It's hard being armed and stupid."

And I hope you actually know who Danbus is, and have read some more of his stuff, before making your quick reply. ANY citizen can go talk tot he police. There is no law, to my knowledge, that says I cannot go try to talk to them as they investigate/write a ticket/etc. And I see it as my civic duty to check on my fellow citizens, who are assumed INNOCENT, when they seem to have a problem. And Danbus DOES get targeted based on race, as multiple examples have shown, including him being targeted out of a GROUP of OC advocates, he and he alone was asked to leave or otherwise harassed in several incidents.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

NCjones wrote:
"I went to see what exactly was going on."
Another case of a civilian with his nose stuck where it doesn't belong. If you think there's some wrongdoing by the police the place to take that up is with the Mayor and police department and if that gets no results, the SBI or FBI.

"I approached armed with my firearm in my holster. I asked, "what's going on?".
(..and the cop said none of your @#$%ing business!)....and he's bitching because the police detained him? I woulda jacked him and charged him with interferring with an investigation. If you think an encounter between police and suspect is somehow your business, you need to observe and/or record the incident from like across the street, not walking up with a piece acting like you have some kind of statutory authority.

"I did get a voice recording of 80% of the encounter, however the arresting officer took it as evidence."
Good going idiot. You are the best witness the prosecution has against you.

"At no time, did I ever get Mirandarized."
Irrelevant. You watch too much COPS on TV. You don't have to be mirandized just because you are arrested.

"It's hard being black and armed."
Playing the race card always adds credibility to your complaint..........NOT.
Should be "It's hard being armed and stupid."

Well, you're being kinda strident with the kid. But I generally agree with all of your points. And, really, he needed someone to be terse with him. Simply to get through the cranial thickness.

Fact is, he got convicted of obstruction of justice. Something similar could've happened to the OP here. I think the main reason why it didn't happen to jp is that the cop was pretty flumoxed and unsure of himself. The cop did not handle himself well at all...

KyleKatern

imported post

yes, the trick is, that if, lets say, I go up and ask a LEO, who is on duty, a question, while he is lets say questioning someone on the street in front of the local college. For him to give me a lawful order, there must be a law that states that he can order me to leave a public place, or that he can prevent me from speaking.

NCjones

imported post

All in all, the guy was just abrasive and uncooperative.  Like I said originally, if he'd just gave the cop his DL or gave him his name and DOB, the cop would've probably ran a background check and seen he wasn't a badguy and then been on his way.