• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WSP going to the Smith & Wesson M&P

glock23

imported post

Washington State Patrol Converts to Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols

[align=right]

2011164.jpg
[/align]SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts --Smith & Wesson Corp., the legendary 157-year old firearms maker, announced today that the Washington State Patrol (WSP) has selected firearms from the company's Military & Police (M&P) Pistol Series for duty use. The Smith & Wesson M&P40, which is made in the United States, will be issued to each officer of the Washington State Patrol to replace firearms supplied by a European-based manufacturer that had previously served as the primary duty sidearm. The Washington State Patrol has ordered 1,400 M&P40 pistols. The company has also recently completed shipments of 1,300 M&P pistols to be used by the Washington State Department of Corrections (DOC).

The WSP selected the M&P pistol after an extensive testing and evaluation process, which included various competitors. State Patrol evaluators indicated that the M&P pistol incorporated several key features including enhanced ergonomics and ambidextrous controls that are valuable for their officers. The evaluators added that the polymer pistol's interchangeable grip sizes, ease of maintenance and level of support offered by Smith & Wesson were all primary factors in their recommendation that the WSP acquire the M&P pistol. In addition to the State Patrol's high remarks on the performance of the M&P pistol during testing, officials at Washington State DOC commended Smith & Wesson for its customer service, product warranty and armorer's training conducted by the company.

"Contracts from departments such as the Washington State Patrol and other various organizations within the Washington State DOC, demonstrate the diversity of the M&P pistol series as well as the ability of the M&P product line to meet a broad range of applications and requirements," said Leland Nichols, Smith & Wesson's Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. "The recent orders from the multiple state agencies within Washington include contracts for not only the M&P40 but also for the M&P9 and M&P45 pistol. Our ability to supply each of these agencies with duty firearms that meet their individual needs reflects our continuing commitment to provide law enforcement personnel with the most advanced and innovative products in the marketplace."

Divisions within the Washington DOC that have converted to the M&P pistol include the Correctional Facility, Women's Correction Facility and the Washington State Penitentiary along with several other state institutions.

The M&P pistol features a Zytel® polymer frame reinforced with a rigid stainless steel chassis and a through-hardened black Melonite® finished stainless steel barrel and slide for durability; a passive trigger safety to prevent the pistol from firing if dropped; and a sear release lever that eliminates the need to press the trigger in order to disassemble the firearm. A loaded chamber indicator is located on top of the slide. The firearm also features an ambidextrous slide stop and a reversible magazine release, as well as an enlarged trigger guard designed to accommodate gloves. The M&P40 has a 15 + 1 capacity and the Smith & Wesson lifetime service policy is standard with each pistol. The M&P pistol series is available in 9mm, .40S&W, .357SIG, and .45ACP calibers. Compact versions of the M&P pistol are also available for concealed carry and back-up use.

About Smith & Wesson
Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation, a global leader in safety, security, protection and sport, is parent company to Smith & Wesson Corp., one of the world's largest manufacturers of quality firearms and firearm safety/security products and parent company to Universal Safety Response, a full-service perimeter security integrator, barrier manufacturer and installer, as well as parent company to Thompson/Center Arms Company, Inc., a premier designer and manufacturer of premium hunting rifles, black powder rifles, interchangeable firearms systems and accessories under the Thompson/Center brand. Smith & Wesson licenses shooter protection, knives, apparel, and other accessory lines. Smith & Wesson is based in Springfield, Massachusetts with manufacturing facilities in Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire and Tennessee. The Smith & Wesson Academy is America's longest running firearms training facility for law enforcement, military and security professionals. For more information on Smith & Wesson, call (800) 331-0852 or log on to http://www.smith-wesson.com. For more information on Universal Safety Response, log on to http://www.usrgrab.com. For more information on Thompson/Center Arms, log on to http://www.tcarms.com.

Matt Rice, Blue Heron Communications (800) 654-3766 or matt@blueheroncomm.com

glock23

imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
nice to see the wsp has money to blow. govt waste at its best
Thats what I was thinking, this is not the best time to switch firearms unless these guns are not working when called into action. What do I know all I'm here for is to pay the bill

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

glock23 wrote:
Boo Boo wrote:
nice to see the wsp has money to blow. govt waste at its best
Thats what I was thinking, this is not the best time to switch firearms unless these guns are not working when called into action. What do I know all I'm here for is to pay the bill

Just because they are getting new guns doesn't mean they spent much (if any) money. S&W has been VERY persuasive in getting departments to change to the M&P's, sometimes offering a simple trade (you give them your old guns and they give you brand spanking new M&P's.)

This allows departments to get new guns for only the cost of new holsters, extra magazines, etc. and they have those costs to a certain degree regardless as the stuff wears out.

Having the publicity of major departments going to them is free advertsing and they can recoup much of their cost by selling the trade ins.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

a million bucks is still a million bucks. just because public safety gets a open checkbook doesn't mean they should be writing them. I am sure the pistols they have now are good for a few more years.

Bo

imported post

Heh, finally a thread that prompted me to register and post (looonng-time lurker here).

Problem with the H&Ks was basically threefold, parts, factory support and costs. Factory support was great (and the pricing was sweet) when H&K got WSP and WADOC to switch to 'em; in the pastfew years, not so much -- parts availability, responsiveness, timeliness and quality of support from the factory became problems. H&K seems to pretty much be phasing out of the U.S. LE market, apparently prefering to focus on other markets that will provide it a more lucrative return.

Some of you guy really believe the state gives public safety "an open checkbook?" Any of you following what's going on with the state budget? Certainly those of you in the private sector have probably been getting more regular and larger pay raises than those of us that work for the state. And as far as equipment? Don't ask. Most state employees pay more out of their own pocketsthan you probably would for what they wear anduse on the job.

S&W currently provides superb factory support -- and, it's an American company, based in the U.S. The deals WADOC and WSP are getting is excellent. The state will easily save more money over the next few years by switching to the M&Ps than it would if its departments stayed with H&K.

Don't know if any of the H&K trade-ins will show up at any WAC shows or LEED (in Tacoma) anytime soon, but it's possible.

But finally -- after having had theopportunity to qualify with the M&P after several years with the USP -- all I have to say is:wow. Great pistols, forhalf the price. Feel better in the hand,point morenaturally, lighter, just as accurate and reliable. What's not to approve of?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Bo wrote:
S&W currently provides superb factory support -- and, it's an American company, based in the U.S. The deals WADOC and WSP are getting is excellent. The state will easily save more money over the next few years by switching to the M&Ps than it would if its departments stayed with H&K.

Don't know if any of the H&K trade-ins will show up at any WAC shows or LEED (in Tacoma) anytime soon, but it's possible.

But finally -- after having had theopportunity to qualify with the M&P after several years with the USP -- all I have to say is:wow. Great pistols, forhalf the price. Feel better in the hand,point morenaturally, lighter, just as accurate and reliable. What's not to approve of?

How do you like the trigger?

Oh, and welcome aboard.

Pavegunner

imported post

Bo is dead on this one. I did some factory training at HK in 2006 and talked at length w the sales dept about US relations.

They had just lost out on a major rifle deal with the US Govt in competing for the SCAR back then and were hard at work developing a replacement for the MK23 pistol. A threaded USP with a LEM trigger was the prototype they showed us.

The put out a very high quality product made from the best materials. Because of their pride of craftsmanship, they are unwilling to lower quality to meet theprices the US Gov expects to pay.

They do most of their business overseas and do not look at the US as a primary target for sales since we tend to do things on the cheap over here. Same reason it's nearly impossible to obtain a 416 model in the states, it's simply not worth theeffort tothem to do private sales of their rifles.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

BO

Welcome to OCDO, I am not trying to attack you but I do take exception to part of your post.

Not very many people in the private sector are getting raises much less regularly, as I recall the state employees get cost of living raises every year. Remember we are currently in a depression, at least in the private sector.

Welders, mechanics. electriciansand a lot of other vocations spend a lot out of pocket for what they use and wear on the job, state employees are not unique in that reguard.Most of the private sector doesnot have the benefits, retirement, vacation time, sick timeetcthat state employees have.

Don't ask about equipment, I do not see many very old cars, trucks etc being driven or operated by state employees. Most of the private sector employeesare making do with a lot less that the state employees have.

I am glad that you have better equipment to work with especially the equipment that you use to defend yourself and others.

Orphan

James06

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Never had the chance to shoot one. Anyone have one and want to meet up for some range time? :D
I have a .40 if you wanna go shoot this tuesday. It would be nice if you brought some small caliber guns like a .38 or 9mm since my wife is going aso and i think my .40 is a little to snappy for her.

Bo

imported post

HankT asked
I like the trigger just fine. Almost shot a possible on our qual course the first time I'd ever shot one of these puppies. Much better than any Glock (I carried a G23 off-duty for about three years).Not much take-up, slack, no creep, quick reset ... very smooth, almost like an old S&W revolver's SA trigger pull. Very good.

Orphan said

Welcome to OCDO, I am not trying to attack you but I do take exception to part of your post.
You know, I understand. I wasn't referring to those who are self-employed, or working for those businesses that aren't taking care of their employees ... was just trying to say that state employees are hurting are much as everyone else out there. And no, our jobs aren't secure simply because we're "feeding at the government trough." We're suffering layoffs and reductions-in-force on a major scale, too.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Orphan said

You know, I understand. I wasn't referring to those who are self-employed, or working for those businesses that aren't taking care of their employees ... was just trying to say that state employees are hurting are much as everyone else out there. And no, our jobs aren't secure simply because we're "feeding at the government trough." We're suffering layoffs and reductions-in-force on a major scale, too.

I understand, its tough out there for everyone.

Take care

Orphan

Commodore76

imported post

Bo wrote:
HankT asked
I like the trigger just fine. Almost shot a possible on our qual course the first time I'd ever shot one of these puppies. Much better than any Glock (I carried a G23 off-duty for about three years).Not much take-up, slack, no creep, quick reset ... very smooth, almost like an old S&W revolver's SA trigger pull. Very good.

Orphan said

First of all, welcome to the posting side of the forum!

Secondly,why not something fromthe Sig line? For military and LEO, they cut pretty darn good deals! Oh, and they're made in the U.S.! Oh well, I keep telling myself that one day, everyone will want the best.

Just giving you a hard time. Again, welcome!

Respectfully,

Commodore

FunkTrooper

imported post

Bo wrote:
Heh, finally a thread that prompted me to register and post (looonng-time lurker here).

Problem with the H&Ks was basically threefold, parts, factory support and costs. Factory support was great (and the pricing was sweet) when H&K got WSP and WADOC to switch to 'em; in the pastfew years, not so much -- parts availability, responsiveness, timeliness and quality of support from the factory became problems. H&K seems to pretty much be phasing out of the U.S. LE market, apparently prefering to focus on other markets that will provide it a more lucrative return.

Some of you guy really believe the state gives public safety "an open checkbook?" Any of you following what's going on with the state budget? Certainly those of you in the private sector have probably been getting more regular and larger pay raises than those of us that work for the state. And as far as equipment? Don't ask. Most state employees pay more out of their own pocketsthan you probably would for what they wear anduse on the job.

Well I'll take you at your word for it, if what I know about H&K customer care you'll defiantly be getting a better deal. Glad to see WSP is looking to save money overall.

On a side note I will never do business with H&K because they seem to frown upon the civilian firearms market, better to support a company that supports it's customers.