• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

giving back to the community

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

maybe someone with better administrative skills could get ahold of the city of kent or auburn and get a open carry volunteer brigade to help do sandbags for a couple hours or so.

it would be a good oppurtunity to give back to the communities we live in and also help foster unity between residents and oc'ers

people could be like i thought gun owers were bad. and now i see they are helpful

Hendo

imported post

I'm with you on community support, visibility and changing the negative gun owner sterotypes.

Let me know if something developes.

Hendo
By the way - in my opinion you can't "pay for" "community".

deanf

imported post

I reject the phrase "giving back." It's the de regueur description used when community organizers want to shame people into doing something. It's PC. It implies that I got something for nothing and now it's time for payback. What did I get for nothing that I must now recompense?

I have no problem doing something nice for someone else in an organized fashion, just don't insinuate that I "owe" the community anything.

Hendo

imported post

deanf,

Sounds like you don't like to be in debt or told you are in debt - fair enough. Sounds like you might be willing to help out some people that might get flooded and help change any negative stereotypes of gun owners - ? Yes?

Hendo

Hates debt too

Tawnos

imported post

deanf wrote:
I reject the phrase "giving back." It's the de regueur description used when community organizers want to shame people into doing something. It's PC. It implies that I got something for nothing and now it's time for payback. What did I get for nothing that I must now recompense?

I have no problem doing something nice for someone else in an organized fashion, just don't insinuate that I "owe" the community anything.
I'd consider it giving back to the gun community more than anything. The positive press would be great for us :).

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Yeah, but when the press looks at the OC'ers, they won't like it, and plus there will be stories of homes being flooded to report on. If you get on the news, they might show you from your "weak" side without your pistol showing :(.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

yeah, kent and auburn need a good cleaning anways. we got better things to do, huh?

Commodore76

imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
yeah, kent and auburn need a good cleaning anways. we got better things to do, huh?

So? You willin to coordinate a little? I live WAY out of the area, so it'd be difficult at best to set something up from my home town. If you can get a time, date and location set up, I'll try toget a few folks together. A weeks notice would be appreciated.

Respectfully,

Commodore