• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Most Virginians" want to tighten guns rules

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/10/tighten-gun-rules-most-virginians-say-poll

Most Virginians say they want to close the so-called gun show loophole that permits some gun sales without criminal background checks, and they dislike the notion of someone carrying a concealed firearm into a restaurant that serves alcohol, according to a new poll.

The survey, conducted by Christopher Newport University's Judy Ford Wason Center for Public Policy, found that eight of every 10 likely voters interviewed wanted to change a state law that allows someone to buy a firearm from an unlicensed seller at a gun show without first undergoing a criminal background check.

If the same sale is between a buyer and a licensed dealer at a show, a background check is required.

Support for closing the loophole was shared by people of all ages and political and ethnic backgrounds - and in all regions of the state, the poll found.

Almost 17 percent of those polled said they favor keeping the law as it is.

A strong majority of those polled - 68.4 percent - also do not want Virginia to allow people with concealed-weapons permits to bring their firearms into eateries that sell alcohol. More than a quarter of those surveyed - 26.3 percent - disagreed, saying the ban should be lifted.

Earlier this year, the General Assembly passed legislation to legalize the practice but failed to muster the votes to override Gov. Timothy M. Kaine's veto.

In his veto message in March, Kaine noted the objection of law enforcement officials to the bill, saying it "puts the public, the employees and our public safety officers at risk."

However, legislators won a partial victory because they overrode Kaine's veto of a bill - now a state law - that permits retired law enforcement officers to carry concealed weapons in restaurants where alcohol is served.

The gun show loophole has been a divisive issue in this year's governor's race.

State Sen. Creigh Deeds, the Democratic candidate, lost the backing of the National Rifle Association because of his support for requiring the background checks.

Republican candidate Bob McDonnell, who was endorsed by the NRA, opposes closing the loophole.

The survey, which was conducted Oct. 8-13 as part of a joint effort by The Virginian-Pilot, WVEC-TV and CNU, also found that a majority of people want the redrawing of lines for state and federal legislative districts to be done by a bipartisan commission rather than the General Assembly.

About 63 percent of those polled said setting boundaries for General Assembly and congressional districts, which are redrawn every 10 years when a new U.S. census is completed, should be handled by a bipartisan commission. About 22 percent said state legislators should continue to set the boundaries.

The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.4 percentage points.

Bill Bartel, (757) 446-2398, bill.bartel@pilotonline.com

TFred

imported post

Support for closing the loophole was shared by people of all ages and political and ethnic backgrounds - and in all regions of the state, the poll found.
Ding ding ding ding ding... alarm bells sound... this statement alone is enough to tell you that this survey is seriously flawed. There are no issues that people "of all ages and political and ethnic backgrounds - and in all regions of the state" equally support. It doesn't word it exactly that way, but that is the implication.

Delegates and Senators do not keep their jobs by defying the majority of voters across all demographics.

Busted.

TFred

nova

imported post

If the majority of people wanted to ban private sales, it would have been done after 4.16.07 when emotions were running high. They tried, and failed. If it didn't pass then, then I don't think it's what the 'majority' really wants...

Fenris

imported post

A lot depends on how the questions are worded:

"Do you support preventing psychopathic criminals from buying guns from unscrupulous gun-show gun sellers who refuse to perform background checks that all licensed sellers are required to perform?"

This "ALL DEMOGRAPHICS" is typical anti over reach.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Aren't CNU students "people of all ages and political and ethnic backgrounds - and in all regions of the state"?

Of course they are. They're probably also mostly liberal in nature. This "poll" is seriously flawed by the probable laziness of the pollster/writer of the story. They never left the campus to do it. If they did, they didn't go very far...

:idea:

Milbars

imported post

That explains a lot. Honestly when I read this, I was completely expecting the survey to be done only in NoVA (near the border with DC). Having it this far south kind of surprised me.

nova

imported post

buster81 wrote:
You'd think he could find a real gun to use as a prop next to his alcohol instead of a bb gun...since its so easy to get guns in VA! :banghead:

tripledipper

imported post

Anypoll conducted by a liberal college in conjunction with the VirginianPilot lacks credibility as far as I'm concerned, especially when it comes to gun rights. I went to Blacksburg this weekend and the local TV station had McDonnell ads sponsored by the NRA and I did not see a Deeds sign or ad anywhere in my travels. Just wishful thinking and statisitical mumbojumbo.:D

PT111

imported post

The problem is not whether the poll was taken by a liberal group or the NRA but rather that the average, make that the majority, of Americans have no idea what the existing laws are. Most people want to create laws to make things illegal that are already illeal. All fo us know that there is no "gunshow loophole" but since it is spread to the public a existing then they want to ban it. Why don't they ask if the law against selling guns to known felons by private citizens should be repealed. This would more acurately eescribe the actual question. Would you support such an action to repeal the ban on sales to felons? Would you sell to a known ex-felon? There are some that have no problem with it.

Criminals get their guns from someone, usually by buying them illegally. Seldom does a criminal actually steal the gun they use however many are stolen or bought legally and then transferred. Maybe we need to work on how to keep guns out of the hands of criminals instead of flapping our gums by complaining about how there is no "gunshow loophole". Lots of comments right here on this board by people saying that they have sold guns with no questions asked and lots of people have bught guns at gun shows with no questions asked. However those are small percentages of the ones sold illegally. They can ban sales at gun shows without a background check but we all know that it won't do much to curb the number of guns getting into the hands of criminals. Come up with a way to keep criminals from getting guns and we won't have to worry about a gun show loophole any more.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I'm sure it's true that most Virginians want to tighten gun rules. I think most would like to strangle 'em, in fact.