• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disturbing trend with new "leave it in your car" law

rmbrems

imported post

Ok,

I see a potentially disturbing trend, and I want to bounce it off you guys to see what your thoughts are.

My next door neighbor is a City of Phoenix Police Officer. He is assigned this week to work the fair. Curious about carry at the fair from other threads on here, I asked him what the official word is about carry at the fair. He said they were not permitted. I then asked him since they don't allow weapons, where do you go to check them. He told me that there is no place to check your weapons and to leave them in your car.

Here is what bothers me. So we have the new law, ARS 12-781 which allows for the storage of a firearm in your vehicle. I am getting concerned that somehow public entities will transform this to become their "temporary and secure storage" (ARS 13-3102:A10). For most, storing it in you car is no biggie- but I gotta be honest, I dont want to leave my $900 handgun in my car in the neighborhoods around the fair. No thanks, i'll pass- where the heck is the secure storage??? (Read between the lines- i dont really want to check it to begin with, but if you are gonna make me jump through the hoop- for the love of pete- provide the g** d**** hoop!)

Is it just me?

In any event... Carry On!

BTW: I really have no interest in the fair (I don't want to see the fried ketchup on a stick or the toughest-gangsta competition), but for some reason my wife and youngins wont let it go.

r6-rider

imported post

you make a good point, but i dont think one law can really trump the other one. besides it is still written that the event must provide storage. also have to consider the source that told you this...a cop.

im sure if you really tried you could get it stored at a security station or something but like you said, you're going to be jumping through hoops to do it. probably take at least an hour or 2 for them to finally figure out what to do. personally id just conceal and hope for the best, the fair down here doesnt exactly have the best crowd of people

protector84

imported post

Doesn't the fair serve alcohol? The "temporary and secure storage" requirements don't apply to establishments that have a liquor license. I doubt you will find storage lockers at the baseball, football, or basketball stadiums for the same reasons--they serve alcohol.

Phoenix David

imported post

So I can walk up and down the midway and drink booze and go in any "event" with my booze?

Please note I am not trying to be argumentative just bring out the facts since I don't know the answers and playing some what if. OF course we will probably never know the answer.

TOF

imported post

If the booze law applies you have the right to find their Liquor License and verify correct signage is present, legaly prohibiting guns.

NightOwl

imported post

Ok, I'ma bit late with this, but why is it they can refuse to let you OC at the fair? I know that here in Idaho, which takes a similar viewpoint on gun laws, we were allowed to OC at the fair. I went, they asked to check my ID since I was armed, I told them no, I was allowed in. This is due to it being held on public property (the county fairgrounds), and thus unable to restrict OC.

What's different in Arizona?

Upon looking into it further, I'm finding the AZ constitution states: "Article 2 Section 26

The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men. "

Yet, there is a law on the books stating "10. Unless specifically authorized by law, entering any public establishment or attending any public event and carrying a deadly weapon on his person after a reasonable request by the operator of the establishment or the sponsor of the event or the sponsor's agent to remove his weapon and place it in the custody of the operator of the establishment or the sponsor of the event for temporary and secure storage of the weapon pursuant to section 13-3102.01"

Wouldn't the state constitution 'specifically authorize by law' the carry of a firearm at a public event, and thus render that particular law moot and unenforcable?

Considering a move to AZ sometime next year, which is why I ask.

TOF

imported post

NightOwl wrote:
Ok, I'ma bit late with this, but why is it they can refuse to let you OC at the fair? I know that here in Idaho, which takes a similar viewpoint on gun laws, we were allowed to OC at the fair. I went, they asked to check my ID since I was armed, I told them no, I was allowed in. This is due to it being held on public property (the county fairgrounds), and thus unable to restrict OC.

What's different in Arizona?

Upon looking into it further, I'm finding the AZ constitution states: "Article 2 Section 26

The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men. "

Yet, there is a law on the books stating "10. Unless specifically authorized by law, entering any public establishment or attending any public event and carrying a deadly weapon on his person after a reasonable request by the operator of the establishment or the sponsor of the event or the sponsor's agent to remove his weapon and place it in the custody of the operator of the establishment or the sponsor of the event for temporary and secure storage of the weapon pursuant to section 13-3102.01"

Wouldn't the state constitution 'specifically authorize by law' the carry of a firearm at a public event, and thus render that particular law moot and unenforcable?

Considering a move to AZ sometime next year, which is why I ask.
Come on down a bit early and you can be our test case.