• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lawful bearing, wearing, or carrying in Texas

Rush Creek

imported post

I've been doing a little digging into the history behind the Texas "handgun issue". Not that I've uncovered anything startling or heretofore not covered - just a refeshing for myself I guess.

What is obvious is that the 1871 Texas legislation is in keeping with efforts by the other former ConfederateStates of America to restrict the ability of freedmen to possess firearms in general, and when that failed by the ratification of the 14th Amendment- by default to endeavor to hampertheir ability to carry handguns. Beyond that selective application - it did not hinder anyone else's ability to "open carry".

It is absolutely ludicrous to invision anyone living in or traveling through Texas (especially West or South Texas, or the Rio Grande Valley)in the 1870's to refrain from wearing a Colt Navy .44, or any other substitute on their hip, tucked inside their belt, or coat pocket. The history of exercising the right to keep and bear armsin Texas has been -and continues to be a work in progress. This is not a right subject to the grant of privilege from either State or federal government.

It is well to remember that post -Civil War "civilized Texans" lived in East Texas primarily. Liberty, Columbus, Houston, Galveston. Beaumont, and Eastward. You would have had a hard time convincing folks in San Angelo, San Antonio, Gonzales, Fannin, Goliad, etc to not wear a side-arm.

Everything West of the Brazos was the frontier. "Law enforcement " was an individual responsibility. There were few "cry babies" running to the "law" (if they couldlocate such an entity ) The Comanchees weren't paticularly deterred by the legislative acts emanating from Austin. . I once owned a parcel of land in Mason County that was a Comanchee "bivouac area". During the 1880's a wagon load of white" settlers wasambushed and slaughtered 8.5 miles North-East of Mason , Texas and the ambush occurred adjacent to my property. I lived there for some years . I visited the Comanchee campfire sites - still stained by the blackened charcoal. This is a documented historical fact. Now do you really think these settlers were even aware of Title 10, Chapter 46 , sec. 46.02 ? If they had been - would they have left their Colts at home in deferrence to Austin'sinfinite wisdom ?

I'll go further than that. Very few LEO's or citizens in West Texaswere of the opinion that mere "possession of a handgun" itself constituted a "crime" until Slick Willie was elected and the gun-grabbers seized the moment to advance their unconstitutional schemes. Check out the 1995 flood of gun laws at the federal and state level. That's when Title 10, Chapter 46, sec. 46.02 was "rediscovered", and given a front-row seat by law enforcement - primarily inHarris County. That's where most law-abiding handgun"possessors" were arrested prior to the 1995 passage of the Texas CHL .

I've said this before -in the absence of criminal intent- the carrying, wearing, bearing of a handgun in Texas IS NOT ILLEGAL. Title 10, Chapter 46, sec.46.02 addresses CRIMINAL CONDUCT. Now- best be aware that "unnecessarilythreatening the public with the wearing, bearing, carrying of any firearm (or other weapon)" is prima facie criminal conduct.

I've come to the conclusion that freedom seeking Texans should not be begging the legislature to "allow" them to wear displayed handguns lawfully. It's already"legal" to wear a handgun lawfullyin Texas. Being respectful of the property rights of others,prudence, and reasonable judgement as to where, when , and perhapsHOW to present one's self in an armed condition maybe challenging - but still a worthy, and acceptable undertaking.

The Supreme Court in Heller v DC laid out some foundational arguments for treatment of Title 10, Chapter 46, sec. 46.02 as only applicable to criminal conduct. Hanguns are the "quintessential self-defense weapon" the possession, and carrying of which is protected by the U.S. Constitution , as well as the Texas Constitution for the lawful purpose of self-defense. Texas does not (yet) criminalize concealed carry of a handgun - surprisingly.

I refuse to suffer further grief over this conjured up myth that OC is illegal in Texas.I have , and will continue to press the envelope of public tolerance for my displayed handgun, with prudent regard for the social environment. I've been practicing what I preach for some time already without any problem. Until folks realize that this right is not something Austin can bestow upon usthere will be no progress. Stop begging -start exercising. Let's bide our time, keep up the pressure, as we await the Supreme Court's long over-due "incorporation" of theSecond Amendment.

dlofton

imported post

Ya'll are making this WAY too complicated...

The 2nd Amendment guarantees the "right to bare arms". Under the system known as "federalism" that we have in the United States, the Constitution trumps everything else...including TX law.

With that in mind, carry when and where and how you want with your firearm. It is perfectly legal and no police officer or DA can arrest and/or prosecute you for it. I know this because I am a peace officer in TX and I know the legal theory of federalism and how it applies to the 2nd Amend.

Just don't worry about the TX statutes and do what you want with your fiream. You won't get into any trouble...I promise!

David

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

The first person that OCs a handgun down here will be arrested and gun confiscated. TX is not listed as an OC state...how can that be wrong all this time?

...and I don't see anyone willing to walk around OCing a handgun.

Please come down here and do that so we can follow your progress in the local, Houston and statewide news.

-- John D.

Rush Creek

imported post

I don't live on Galveston Island. I've been there though , and there are some back street areas that I would probably avoid after the sun goes down. I have personally practiced "OC" in Texas (in far West Texas) in the past - on a routine basis - but I wouldn't even consider doing so in the Houston area.I've presented a case for serious (I hope) consideration. If folks are so proud of the status quo in Texas - please enjoy.I presented a case for the evolving "law" phenomenum being allowed to spread deception and intimidate citizens from exercising their inalienable right to self-defense.

If you think your state issued license "allows" you to exercise your right to bear arms - happy trails. The 2nd amendment does not grant, or protectyour right to keep and bear arms. That IS YOUR RIGHT - either exercise it or waive it - I don't really care which you do.Ther is no collective responsibility to"rescue" the rights of others that are being "held hostage". That is their responsibility if they choose to undertake it.

If the notion ofexercising a right that is being obstensibly denied creates uneasiness in some folks - I submit that those folks have already voluntarily surrendered said rights. I simply choose not toco-operate with a conspiracy to violate my civil rights. I will adapt to whatever the circumstances, make personal choices , to ensure my personal safety.

I have no desire to parade around "OC'ing" a handgun as some call it to prove my point, anymore than I would "OC" a shortened .30/.30 in a belt holster although that would be"legal" in Texas. Do I occassionally allow the display of my holstered handgun - you bet.

I honestly don't know why some folks even hang around this forum - unless it's to stroke each other and wallow in collective self-pity . I'm begining to think more can be accomplished on an individual basis.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Then do so!

I've been trying to be polite reading your comments about how it's "legal to OC in the state of Texas" according to this or that legal citation, and your criticism of the rest of us here, but that politeness isover nowsince you show so much disdain and disrespect for me andothers "who don't exercise our rights."

I am tired of people like you, MAINLY YOU, saying weCAN OC -- it's legal -- when we can't. I have invited you, Mr. Blowhard, to practice what you preach but you do not. WHY NOT OC down here in the Houston area, isn't it part of Texas? So why do you "allegedly" OC in West Texas but not here? Probably because you're full of crap.

I asked you to run for office if you're so obsessed with this issue, but you didn't even bother to respond. How rude.

So go ahead and "go it alone," who cares, JERK. You're just a lot of citations and rhetoric but when it comes down to it, you've got no substance whatsoever.

Put up or shut up...in this case, just STFU as you can't put up anything except talk.

So just leave.

-- John D.

Rush Creek

imported post

Cloudcroft -My reference to Galveston was only a reflection on my many visits there, and the tourist environment with all the issues that factor presents. No, I would not OC on Galveston Island. And I'm sure not going to drive 300 miles down there to demonstrate my manhood.I was not targeting you in particular, Cloudcroft in myalluding to theapparent disposition of many expressed here.

The purpose of any forum is toprovide an outlet for folks to express their point of view. I have my point of view - and others have theirs. I have just as much right to express myself on the OC issue as you have to voice your impatience with me.

The reason I have pointed out some of the history on this issue - is that many seem to be misinterpreting 46.02 - even LEO's apparently- as though this part of the penal code was enacted to prohibit "open carry". That's unfortunate, given this creates a current that runs counter to the goals of the open carry effort in Texas.

Oh, finally - I really am not a "blowhard" - and I gave up feeling like I had to prove myself to others a long while back. I just askany who will - to givesome thought to the journey this issue has been on for about 140 years in Texas -and maybe a little retracing footsteps would be helpful in developing strategies to change attitudes.

CrossFire

imported post

Rush Creek wrote:
Cloudcroft -My reference to Galveston was only a reflection on my many visits there, and the tourist environment with all the issues that factor presents. No, I would not OC on Galveston Island. And I'm sure not going to drive 300 miles down there to demonstrate my manhood.I was not targeting you in particular, Cloudcroft in myalluding to theapparent disposition of many expressed here.

The purpose of any forum is toprovide an outlet for folks to express their point of view. I have my point of view - and others have theirs. I have just as much right to express myself on the OC issue as you have to voice your impatience with me.

The reason I have pointed out some of the history on this issue - is that many seem to be misinterpreting 46.02 - even LEO's apparently- as though this part of the penal code was enacted to prohibit "open carry". That's unfortunate, given this creates a current that runs counter to the goals of the open carry effort in Texas.

Oh, finally - I really am not a "blowhard" - and I gave up feeling like I had to prove myself to others a long while back. I just askany who will - to givesome thought to the journey this issue has been on for about 140 years in Texas -and maybe a little retracing footsteps would be helpful in developing strategies to change attitudes.

Try OC'ing in Arlington and be sure to let us know how that works out for you. I look forward to reading about you in the future as you are charged.:celebrate

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Rush (Sand) Creek -
I think everybody understands the point that you are trying to make, however, in practice, your 'point' is simply not the case! I would absolutely LOVE to see your point argued and WON in court! That would really give some momentum to the cause! The problem is that most of us do not have the time or the resources to fight such a case! So, if you have the time and resources, by all means go ahead!

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

Rush Creek wrote:

Rush, I think your point that UCW has been inconsistently enforced depending on where in the state you are has merit. I suspect that a rural West Texasofficer would be more willing to chalk up something to "traveling" whereas you'd end up in jail for the same trip in urban parts of Texas.

I witnessed this first hand when 4 of us Tech students were coming back from a camping trip in Palo Duro. My friend who was driving was a licensed security guard (could carry on duty) but that gave him no more right to carry when off duty and out of uniform than anyone else. His wallet and .357 were in the console when he was pulled over by a DPS trooper for speeding. He told the trooper about the pistol because he needed to open the console to get to his DL and insurance. No problem. Trooper saw the camping gear and told him that since we were traveling, being armed wasn't against the law. Would the story have been different if we'd been one county north of Harris instead of Lubbock? Perhaps so although DPS officers are, in my opinion,more likely to professionally enforce the law consistently because they do have state-wide jurisdiction and aren't as subject to local prejudices.

That said, even an accurate recitation of history and correct observations about how nearly the whole populous wasarmed at various times in our history is no match for criminal law precedent. The fact is that UCW is a serious charge and no one should falsely believe that open carry in Texas, absent a situation that qualifies as an exemption from UCW, is legal or accepted. No good will come of it.

If you truly want to open carry and have the odds of acquitalon your side (although you could still potentially lose) there is one option: carry an antique revolver. I commend to your attention the definition of "firearm" and "handgun" from Penal Code, chapter 42:

(3)"Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use. Firearm does not include a firearm that may have, as an integral part, a folding knife blade or other characteristics of weapons made illegal by this chapter and that is:

(A)an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899; or

(B)a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899, but only if the replica does not use rim fire or center fire ammunition.

(5)"Handgun" means any firearm that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one hand.

[align=left]Notice that "antique firearm" and "curio firearm" aren't defined. Additionally, there aren't any known court cases on whether or not ANY pre-1899 handgun qualifies or it it must have some special significance. It is worth noting that FEDERAL law defines an "antique firearm" as any made before 1899. Those can be purchased with no paperwork, across state lines, and without the assistance of an FFL. They do NOT have to be black powder. For example, my S&W Safety Hammerless in .38 S&W from 1891 qualifies.[/align]
[align=left]I am not a lawyer, but Texas law appears to say that I could strap on that revolver and openly carry it nearly anywhere (since it isn't a firearm or a handgun and you aren't using your CHL authority, there are nearly no "off-limits" areas).[/align]
[align=left]Again, if you really want to make a political statement and give yourself a pretty decent chance to win in court when/if you are arrested, that would be my choice.[/align]
[align=left]SA-TX[/align]

Rush Creek

imported post

SA-TX : Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Your points are right on the mark. Make no mistake - I incourage no person to test the current penal code in Texas based upon my historical, cultural, or personalobservations.

On the other side of the coin - I detect the persistent presence of a mind-set among some folks that amounts to not only reinforcement- but a strengthening of the "legal" noose around the free exercise of this right in Texas. When we are talking about the exercise of a right - allowances, dispensations, or licenses are not the answer. There are huge obstacles standing in front of "legal" open carry in Texas. The same obstacles that frustrate exercise of this right in the often cited "legal" states. Hoping for a definitive moment when we all wake up some morning to learn that law-abiding citizens may hit the streets with their displayed HG's and be greeted by overwhelming approval - probably isn't going to happen.

Appreciating the history behind the infringement of the 2A in Texas is necessary to mobilizing an effort aimed at restoration of the right. The same "selective" ( read: "demographic" profile) discomfort with the notion of law-abiding folks in Texas walking down 6th Street in Austin with a holstered Glockis a big part of the failure to get OC addressed in the last Legislature. We are all (myself included) shackled with conditioned perceptions, suspicions, concerns about "some people" being "allowed" to go about their business wearing a firearm. The 140 year old attitudes that gave birth to46.02 still linger.

Aside from the legal parameters , what do we say as a society regarding the body-count of the weaker membersamong us who just might not be showing up in the morgues every morning had they not been deprived of their right to arm themselvesagainst violent sadistic predators ? Granted, most folks in Texas are "allowed" (eligible for a license) to exercise this right - but that still is not recognition of the existence of that right. Current restrictions imposed on CHL holders clearly eliminate licensed concealed carry in Texas from any definition of the actual exercise of a right.

The civil rights movement that made traction during the 60's/70's didn't happen because everyone one fine day was suddenly"allowed" to sit in the front of the bus, issued a license to do so, or welcomed at the restuarant door just because some "law" had just been enacted, or rescinded.

We all recognize that the only people significantly impacted by 46.02 in Texas are the law-abiding. Violent criminal minds are not deterred. Some folks are fortunate by virtue of county of residence, social affiliation, or perhaps some aspect of their persona to be able to exercise this right without undue attention being brought to bear . At some point more of these folks need to move from the "back of the bus" if the balance is ever going to be swayed in the opposite direction.

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

Rush Creek wrote:
SA-TX : Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Your points are right on the mark. Make no mistake - I incourage no person to test the current penal code in Texas based upon my historical, cultural, or personalobservations.

On the other side of the coin - I detect the persistent presence of a mind-set among some folks that amounts to not only reinforcement- but a strengthening of the "legal" noose around the free exercise of this right in Texas. When we are talking about the exercise of a right - allowances, dispensations, or licenses are not the answer. There are huge obstacles standing in front of "legal" open carry in Texas. The same obstacles that frustrate exercise of this right in the often cited "legal" states. Hoping for a definitive moment when we all wake up some morning to learn that law-abiding citizens may hit the streets with their displayed HG's and be greeted by overwhelming approval - probably isn't going to happen.

Appreciating the history behind the infringement of the 2A in Texas is necessary to mobilizing an effort aimed at restoration of the right. The same "selective" ( read: "demographic" profile) discomfort with the notion of law-abiding folks in Texas walking down 6th Street in Austin with a holstered Glockis a big part of the failure to get OC addressed in the last Legislature. We are all (myself included) shackled with conditioned perceptions, suspicions, concerns about "some people" being "allowed" to go about their business wearing a firearm. The 140 year old attitudes that gave birth to46.02 still linger.

Aside from the legal parameters , what do we say as a society regarding the body-count of the weaker membersamong us who just might not be showing up in the morgues every morning had they not been deprived of their right to arm themselvesagainst violent sadistic predators ? Granted, most folks in Texas are "allowed" (eligible for a license) to exercise this right - but that still is not recognition of the existence of that right. Current restrictions imposed on CHL holders clearly eliminate licensed concealed carry in Texas from any definition of the actual exercise of a right.

The civil rights movement that made traction during the 60's/70's didn't happen because everyone one fine day was suddenly"allowed" to sit in the front of the bus, issued a license to do so, or welcomed at the restuarant door just because some "law" had just been enacted, or rescinded.

We all recognize that the only people significantly impacted by 46.02 in Texas are the law-abiding. Violent criminal minds are not deterred. Some folks are fortunate by virtue of county of residence, social affiliation, or perhaps some aspect of their persona to be able to exercise this right without undue attention being brought to bear . At some point more of these folks need to move from the "back of the bus" if the balance is ever going to be swayed in the opposite direction.

I agree and attitudes are changing. Look what has happened since 1987 & Florida. CC has swept the country. Another recent bit of news from October 12, 2009: support for handgun ban falls to the lowest level in 50 years (http://www.economist.com/daily/chartgallery/displaystory.cfm?story_id=14632169&fsrc=rss).

We are winning.Theanti-gun faction has had patience and incrementally pushed their agenda over decades while good men and women paid no attention. Now they are awakening.To name a few:

1) We havewins in federal courts around the country (most recently in New Mexico). OCDO, VCDL, GeorgiaCarryand other groups are making progress and pushing the banners back on their heels on their turf (the courts).

2) For those who hoped Obama and a heavily Democratic Congress wouldreverse the tide, 70-somethingcongressional Democrats (!) signed a letter urging the new president not to proposean assault weapons ban. Those votes plusthose of Republicans means that it will be verydifficult for him.

3) He had to sign the legislation allowing carry in the national parks.

4) Voting rights for the D.C. delegate was derailed over a carry provision that was attached by pro-gun Democrats and Republicans. They are still stuck on that one.

5) Heller was huge. The upcoming applicability to the states is even bigger. That will ensure lawsuits for the next20 years as the level of scrutiny is determined and regulations large and small are litigated. They will be on defense while we are on offense. :celebrate

You get the picture. The last 10 yearshave been very, very good forus and the momentum continues to build. We ARE reclaiming our birthright.

SA-TX

dlofton

imported post

I was not being sarcastic at all. Federal law (the US Constitution) trumps TX and local statutes. Carry any way you want because the Founding Fathers have guaranteed you that right. I am a peace officer here in TX and I can promise that I want arrest you and neither will any other "law abiding" peace officer.

Neither of the two below statutes could pass a Constitutional review by the courts:

Sec.46.035.UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.[/b]

(a)A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.

However, they quoted it to me like this...

Sec.46.035.UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN[/b]

David

usaf0906

imported post

dlofton wrote:
I was not being sarcastic at all. Federal law (the US Constitution) trumps TX and local statutes. Carry any way you want because the Founding Fathers have guaranteed you that right. I am a peace officer here in TX and I can promise that I want arrest you and neither will any other "law abiding" peace officer.

Neither of the two below statutes could pass a Constitutional review by the courts:

Sec.46.035.UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.[/b]

(a)A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.

However, they quoted it to me like this...

Sec.46.035.UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN[/b]

David
I would be a little careful giving legal advice like that.

dlofton

imported post

Why? As far as I know I am not an attorney so I am not subject to the bar rules for the State of Texas and also nobody has been prosecuted for any advice that I have given them so they have to "standing" to sue me. I guess that means I can say just about anything I want. I am only repeating with the Constitution says.

David

Rush Creek

imported post

DLofton -I believe there are many LEO's who share your perspective.

Lawful OC presently is do-able in Texas , but it requires maturity, common-sense, prudence, and somespine. You are not ill-advising anyone. There are many LEO's in Texas that agree with your perspective.Those who have insight, purpose of mind, and a desire to bring about change will reflect on what you have expressed. One size does not fit all when it comes to this subject.

Some concepts require the abilitytostep back a bit and analyze situations and expand therange of one's perceptive skills- or even explore new paths - sometimes referred to as the "pioneer spirit". There are some folks that cut paths for others to follow. Some folks just travel on well-worn paths. Some folks have more respect for the "stay off grass" signs than the very grass the signs were designed to protect.

Rush Creek

imported post

Please don't let your hearts be troubled over my apparent mental confusion regarding the laws in Texas.I only lived in Texas for 45 years- prior to moving to Colorado so I haven't had time to educate my self regarding Texas firearm law as well as somehave.

I would actually prefer that no one be tempted to risk violating Texas law based upon the thoughts I have expressed.Finding one's self locked in the jaws of the criminal justice system of any jurisdiction can result in a heap of miseryand cost a lot of money.

It is usually a very fine line that navigates between lawful and unlawful.I encourage others to study the law in Texas and come to their own conclusions . Keep an open mind about it and don't check your common-sense at the door. Hopefully in the not to distant future Austin will see the handwiting on the wall and issue an OC emancipation proclamation - until then I'll just keep on... "traveling".

mike75925

imported post

the constitution's bill of rights explains the trumping power of it's self. the texas constitution says that it (the texas constitution) is subject only to the constitution of the united states of america. i seem to recall one of my history teachers saying that texas wrote their second in this manner to rejoin the union after the civil war. makes sense. the supreme court (us) at the time said that texas had not seceeded, yet the president at the time, said she had, and readmitted her to the union. by looking at various other rights, one can extrapolate the extents of given rights whether they be natural (god given) priveleges and immunities, etc. i asked around about opoen carry before doing so, and initially was told no i could not (i was also told that if i were to carry in my hands or if i had slung one over my shoulder a rifle, i would be arrested, we discussed that at length as well). i made my case to several officers and do occasionallyOC in alto tx ( they just so happened to be somewhat patriotic, and knew me from my time here, and that i served our country). though in nacogdoches tx, i was searched (repeatedly)for a weapon by an officer who i had asked earlier about OCing. my belief is that the previous two hundred some odd years have produced enough precedent that the supreme court thought it silly to revisit a subject as covered as the second is. i cannot be of a mind to OC anywhere else due to certain complications on my end, due to exercise of certain other rights. it would only serve to hurt us all. dlawton, most peace officers are chaos officers. in that even if no one or more persons are being hurt, no property destroyed, etc, freedoms or rights are being infringed. i normally am of the mind we all could do without peace officers, judges, lawyers, you seem ok. i once was asked while on contempt (for claiming a right specified by the same judge just seconds earlier) if i would demand to know if someone was carrying, i said no, he a member of nacogdoches county's jail staff, looked at me if i was stupid or what have you. i called him back to the bars and declared to him, you chose your job as i chose to be in the military, that all residing inside the US and its territories have those rights spelled out in the constitution. at hearing i had served he dropped his cocky demeanor. i personally like these famous gun quotes by dictators and chancellors. mao tse tung, i believe said, 'one man with a gun can control a hundred others'. this is what most cops seem to do. i know a few people who did serve in the military who are know police officers. i asked them if they gave any thought to their oaths. being military is supposed to have nearly the same oath as judges, peace officers etc. defend the constitution. but there has been this oath on ' color of law'. the law is more often that not in contradiction with the constitution, and according to marshall, is hereby null and void. main problem is cops still enforce them. take the right to travel. if we are to throw off the tyrannical government, yet none who would do so have license or insurance etc, how are we to do such an undertaking. the right to travel is about as covered as is the second. just not stipulated in the bill of rights. the courts, the higher ones, recognize it as an inherenet right, so old that it need not be included into the bill of rights. alas, i feel i am losing my audience. have a great life, and god bless you all, if it be right that he should do so.

jsimmons

imported post

Regarding the LEO encounter in Shertz when you were open carrying on your own property...

They didn't arrest you did they? Can you give details of the verbal exchange? I live inside Loop 1604 and OC on my property all the time, and have never once been hassled by anyone.

Robin47

imported post

HI All !

From California, I been reading your post's, seems like someone needs to be a test case.

Here in California, we read the laws closely, and you can OC with certain restrictions

such a UCO unloaded opencarry, yes we get harrased by the cops, however

we can sue when we get arrested, and the LEO's are learning to be careful, and the Yes open carry is legal in California.

Avoiding schools zones and government buildings.

So looks like in Texas, someone will have to go to lower court, and then appeal

to a higher court, which will have to look into the Constitutionality of the "Bad Law".

"The losser pays the bill, to the court or lawyer".

We have Cal-Guns here to help fight for our rights, yes "Freedom Costs".

But we must ask is "Freedom worth it' ? I say Yes !

Also many are UOC-ing in California, and it continues to grow.

We pass out pamphlets, showing the laws and how we are Legal in what we are doing OCing.

So to my Texas friends, "Fight for your rights", Research the laws and exercise

your rights.

Even if its like "SA_TX" saids Black powder antique firearms. Better then nothing !

Also there is U.S. Title 42 " Depravation of rights under color of law".

"Is Texas a free state or not"? Let the jury decide that one !

Was that law even constitutional ? And who voted for it ?

Well God Bless Texas ! And hopeing it will all come together for you all !

Robin47