• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idaho Resident visiting Utah

Thelukaskezik

imported post

Hello Utah OC-rs,

I live in Idaho, but my wife is from the Alpine-area of Utah. While I'm fairly new to Open Carry to begin with, I know Utah law has a lot more specifics on OC than Idaho does. When I visit Utah, am I - at only 20 years old and/or as an Idaho resident, even allowed to OC in Utah?

GeneticsDave

imported post

Yes, you can OC from 18 years up. You do need to make sure that the sidearm is not concealed while wearing clothing or driving.

You should also stay away from school zones (1000 feet).

Your sidearm must be "Utah unloaded", meaning a full mag and empty chamber or in a revolver, empty chamber under hammer and empty chamber in next cylinder. Basically you need to perform two (2) actions to fire. Rack and trigger or trigger twice.

If I left anything out, I am sure someone will chime in.

Enjoy your stay!

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
You do need to make sure that the sidearm is not concealed while wearing clothing or driving.
...while wearing clothing, eh Dave? You carry often while naked? :p

Just a quick comment on driving. Utah law changed earlier this year to allow for loaded and concealed handguns in your vehicle. So no need to worry about vehicle carry.

If you have permit from any state, as some states issue to people under 21, then no ned to worry about the restrictions that Dave posted about.

Welcome to Utah! :celebrate

GeneticsDave

imported post

Oh yeah, wasn't sure if car carry had passed yet, thanks for mentioning that.

And yes, I often carry in the nude - there's no appropriate time to not carry, but plenty of appropriate times to be nude (and no, I won't elaborate :lol:).

And yes, Utah honors permits from ALL states, so if you have one, you are GTG.

Thelukaskezik

imported post

HA... nudity. please dont elaborate.

Thanks for the advice - any further advice is always welcome! I dont have a permit yet. The only permit Idaho has for guns is the concealed carry permit - but I'll have to wait til I'm 21 for that.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Thelukaskezik wrote:
The only permit Idaho has for guns is the concealed carry permit - but I'll have to wait til I'm 21 for that.
Most states only issue one type of permit. I can't recall any states that issue a "concealed permit" and an "open carry permit".

The name printed on the card usually does not mean much. Take Utah's permit for example. The title on the card is "Concealed Firearm Permit". But it is much more than that. If you called it what it exempts you from, I would call it the "Concealed dangerous weapon and loaded firearm while in a school zone, bus or train permit" :p

States like Pennsylvania call their permit a "License to carry a firearm". It does not elude to concealment or visible carry, just carry. Some states issue permits 18 year old's, or "adults".