Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TEA Party Express II - 25 Oct 2009 - San Diego, CA

Post imported post

The TEA Party Express will be coming to San Diego on October 25th. The rally will be held at 11am in Tuna Harbor Park right next to the USS Midway. Looked on Google Earth, it appears there are no Schools within range. What do you all think about UOCing at the TEA party?

Post imported post

Nobody has an opinion on this? Good idea, bad idea?

Post imported post

Difficult to say. I don't live in San Diego, so I won't be coming, but it would be good to come to a decision about whether we should in our respective cities. I've thought about it before, but couldn't come to a conclusion. On one hand, it is a right, and it sends a powerful message that we will not give up our rights. On the other hand, open carriers are still not even really accepted by other gun owners, much less a majority of the people who will be there. I can imagine a lot of "you're making us look like a bunch of crazies" from inside the TEA party, and of course "they're all a bunch of crazies" from people reporting on it. I guess it's a matter of strategy. Maybe it's a good place to gather more support.

Post imported post

Thats why I ask . . thanks for your input.

Post imported post

Captain_Awesome wrote:
    Difficult to say. I don't live in San Diego, so I won't be coming, but it would be good to come to a decision about whether we should in our respective cities. I've thought about it before, but couldn't come to a conclusion. On one hand, it is a right, and it sends a powerful message that we will not give up our rights. On the other hand, open carriers are still not even really accepted by other gun owners, much less a majority of the people who will be there. I can imagine a lot of "you're making us look like a bunch of crazies" from inside the TEA party, and of course "they're all a bunch of crazies" from people reporting on it. I guess it's a matter of strategy. Maybe it's a good place to gather more support.
    TEA party people are cool with OCers.

That said, it isn't recommended to OC in urban areas.

Post imported post

That's good to know. I'm assuming you've talked to some people there about OC? Or did you OC at an event?

Post imported post

I have not talked to anyone about it. I have not OC'd at an event. However, it does make sense they would be accepting and welcoming of it and there is this letter about guns at a Tea Party.

http://www.helenair.com/news/opinion...cc4c03286.html

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

I have open carried and so have many others here in Washington and they had no problem with it.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

pullnshoot and sudden valley - thanks for the info. It's nice we're accepted by someone.

Post imported post

Laser Sailor wrote:
    The TEA Party Express will be coming to San Diego on October 25th. The rally will be held at 11am in Tuna Harbor Park right next to the USS Midway. Looked on Google Earth, it appears there are no Schools within range. What do you all think about UOCing at the TEA party?

I have UOCed at seaport village without incident. However two Port Police officers seemed to be @#$%ting their pants trying to decide to approach us or not. In the end they settled for admiring us from afar.

Is "Tuna Harbor Park" a city or county park? If not I will be there. However if it is then I suggest we find the closest legal location.

I concur no schools that I could find.

Funny all the hoops we have to jump though to be law abiding citizens
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

Post imported post

Tuna Harbor Park does not show up as a park or open space on either the city or county parks and recreation websites.

Any other opinions?

Post imported post

bump

Post imported post

Bad idea!

I don't think its a good idea to align ourselves with this fringe group. While I may or may not agree with some political ideas, I don't agree with calling our President a Nazi, terrorist, manchurian candidate or any other name you can think of. I don't agree with going to a town hall meeting with the sole purpose of disrupting it. If we are going to promote our open carry agenda, I think we should do it in a positive forum.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Gundude wrote:
    Bad idea!

I don't think its a good idea to align ourselves with this fringe group. While I may or may not agree with some political ideas, I don't agree with calling our President a Nazi, terrorist, manchurian candidate or any other name you can think of. I don't agree with going to a town hall meeting with the sole purpose of disrupting it. If we are going to promote our open carry agenda, I think we should do it in a positive forum.
    Please, let's not turn this into a "flame this stereotype" thread. If you don't like the ideas, don't go to the rally. Open carry at a rally of your choice.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Post imported post

I open carried at the rally in April, down the road at Spanish Landing. I got nothing but positive remarks. I even got to explain CA carry laws to a biker from Arizona.
    City police and Harbor Police were in attendance, but didn't pay any attention to me.
    I'm going to try to make it, and carry.

Post imported post

Well now we need a time and location to meetup. I'm not to familiar with the location but as it is going to be very busy (scarce parking), I suggest meeting in seaport village in front of Ben and Jerrie's At 10:30. Then we could walk up the boardwalk to the rally.

If you are planning on attending, UOC or not, please let us know so we can expect you and give a phone number for contact that day.

Post imported post

bump

Post imported post

Well no one else showed up but the family and I had fun anyways.

While we were waiting in Sea Port Village I was approached by their private security. He explained to me that although he understands my rights and supports them, Sea Port Village is private property and that I can not carry my weapon there.

I also found out that he is one of the officers SD, Chris and I mistook for Harbor Police a couple weeks ago. He explained that they didn't approach us because we were not on Sea Port Village property. They did follow us but only to make sure we were leaving but would have approached us if we weren't.

When I asked to see the No Weapons rule in writing he said there wasn't one but he gave me contact information to find out. Sorry I forgot to get his title.

Gale Saflar (619) 235-4624

I'll start a thread for this issue if you all are interested in what he has to say after I call on Monday.

Banned

Post imported post

chewy352 wrote:
    Well no one else showed up but the family and I had fun anyways.

While we were waiting in Sea Port Village I was approached by their private security. He explained to me that although he understands my rights and supports them, Sea Port Village is private property and that I can not carry my weapon there.

I also found out that he is one of the officers SD, Chris and I mistook for Harbor Police a couple weeks ago. He explained that they didn't approach us because we were not on Sea Port Village property. They did follow us but only to make sure we were leaving but would have approached us if we weren't.

When I asked to see the No Weapons rule in writing he said there wasn't one but he gave me contact information to find out. Sorry I forgot to get his title.

Gale Saflar (619) 235-4624

I'll start a thread for this issue if you all are interested in what he has to say after I call on Monday.
    You guys mistook him for Harbor Police. Did he have a gun either back then or today? If so, he's in deep caca.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar

Post imported post

N6ATF wrote:
    You guys mistook him for Harbor Police. Did he have a gun either back then or today? If so, he's in deep caca.
    Why's that?

Banned

Post imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
    N6ATF wrote:
    Why's that?
    To be a private security guard and carry a sidearm, the state requires you also have a BSIS exposed firearm permit. Even if you are a peace officer.

http://www.bsis.ca.gov/online_servic..._license.shtml

Gale Saflar does not. Hence, if he was carrying a loaded firearm, as whacker security guards (who dress like police) tend to do, he was likely violating the same penal code that prohibits us from carrying loaded unlicensed in incorporated areas, as well as business and professions code regulating the private security industry.

Here's where you can report criminally unlicensed victim disarmers:
    http://www.bsis.ca.gov/industries_regulated/uaau.shtml

Post imported post

N6ATF wrote:
    bigtoe416 wrote:
    N6ATF wrote:
    Why's that?
    To be a private security guard and carry a sidearm, the state requires you also have a BSIS exposed firearm permit. Even if you are a peace officer.

Gale Saflar does not. Hence, if he was carrying a loaded firearm, as whacker security guards (who dress like police) tend to do, he was likely violating the same penal code that prohibits us from carrying loaded unlicensed in incorporated areas, as well as business and professions code regulating the private security industry.

Sorry if you misunderstood guys Gale Safler is the contact for seaport village not the security guard. The security guard was armed with a firearm, baton and pepper spray both times.

Banned

Post imported post

chewy352 wrote:
    N6ATF wrote:
    bigtoe416 wrote:
    N6ATF wrote:
    Why's that?

Sorry if you misunderstood guys Gale Safler is the contact for seaport village not the security guard. The security guard was armed with a firearm, baton and pepper spray both times.
    Should get the guards' names so they can be run too.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar

Post imported post

N6ATF wrote:
    Ah. I just thought it was an odd thing to say on an open carry forum. I'm fine with a security guard carrying a gun because I'm fine with any lawful person carrying a gun. I get what you're saying about the loaded part, I just don't care on a personal level.

Banned

Post imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
    N6ATF wrote:
    Ah. I just thought it was an odd thing to say on an open carry forum. I'm fine with a security guard carrying a gun because I'm fine with any lawful person carrying a gun. I get what you're saying about the loaded part, I just don't care on a personal level.
    It's an equal protection issue. Security guards are authorized by licensing statute to open carry loaded in incorporated areas, while we can't. If they're not even following the law and telling us to disarm or leave, why should we?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast