• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TEA Party Express II - 25 Oct 2009 - San Diego, CA

Laser Sailor

imported post

The TEA Party Express will be coming to San Diego on October 25th. The rally will be held at 11am in Tuna Harbor Park right next to the USS Midway. Looked on Google Earth, it appears there are no Schools within range. What do you all think about UOCing at the TEA party?

Captain_Awesome

imported post

Difficult to say. I don't live in San Diego, so I won't be coming, but it would be good to come to a decision about whether we should in our respective cities. I've thought about it before, but couldn't come to a conclusion. On one hand, it is a right, and it sends a powerful message that we will not give up our rights. On the other hand, open carriers are still not even really accepted by other gun owners, much less a majority of the people who will be there. I can imagine a lot of "you're making us look like a bunch of crazies" from inside the TEA party, and of course "they're all a bunch of crazies" from people reporting on it. I guess it's a matter of strategy. Maybe it's a good place to gather more support.

pullnshoot25

imported post

Captain_Awesome wrote:
Difficult to say. I don't live in San Diego, so I won't be coming, but it would be good to come to a decision about whether we should in our respective cities. I've thought about it before, but couldn't come to a conclusion. On one hand, it is a right, and it sends a powerful message that we will not give up our rights. On the other hand, open carriers are still not even really accepted by other gun owners, much less a majority of the people who will be there. I can imagine a lot of "you're making us look like a bunch of crazies" from inside the TEA party, and of course "they're all a bunch of crazies" from people reporting on it. I guess it's a matter of strategy. Maybe it's a good place to gather more support.

TEA party people are cool with OCers.

That said, it isn't recommended to OC in urban areas.

chewy352

imported post

Laser Sailor wrote:
The TEA Party Express will be coming to San Diego on October 25th. The rally will be held at 11am in Tuna Harbor Park right next to the USS Midway. Looked on Google Earth, it appears there are no Schools within range. What do you all think about UOCing at the TEA party?

I have UOCed at seaport village without incident. However two Port Police officers seemed to be @#$%ting their pants trying to decide to approach us or not. In the end they settled for admiring us from afar.

Is "Tuna Harbor Park" a city or county park? If not I will be there. However if it is then I suggest we find the closest legal location.

I concur no schools that I could find.

Funny all the hoops we have to jump though to be law abiding citizens

chewy352

imported post

Tuna Harbor Park does not show up as a park or open space on either the city or county parks and recreation websites.

Any other opinions?

Gundude

imported post

Bad idea!

I don't think its a good idea to align ourselves with this fringe group. While I may or may not agree with some political ideas, I don't agree with calling our President a Nazi, terrorist, manchurian candidate or any other name you can think of. I don't agree with going to a town hall meeting with the sole purpose of disrupting it. If we are going to promote our open carry agenda, I think we should do it in a positive forum.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Gundude wrote:
Bad idea!

I don't think its a good idea to align ourselves with this fringe group. While I may or may not agree with some political ideas, I don't agree with calling our President a Nazi, terrorist, manchurian candidate or any other name you can think of. I don't agree with going to a town hall meeting with the sole purpose of disrupting it. If we are going to promote our open carry agenda, I think we should do it in a positive forum.
Please, let's not turn this into a "flame this stereotype" thread. If you don't like the ideas, don't go to the rally. Open carry at a rally of your choice.

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I open carried at the rally in April, down the road at Spanish Landing. I got nothing but positive remarks. I even got to explain CA carry laws to a biker from Arizona.
City police and Harbor Police were in attendance, but didn't pay any attention to me.
I'm going to try to make it, and carry.

chewy352

imported post

Well now we need a time and location to meetup. I'm not to familiar with the location but as it is going to be very busy (scarce parking), I suggest meeting in seaport village in front of Ben and Jerrie's At 10:30. Then we could walk up the boardwalk to the rally.

If you are planning on attending, UOC or not, please let us know so we can expect you and give a phone number for contact that day.

chewy352

imported post

Well no one else showed up but the family and I had fun anyways.

While we were waiting in Sea Port Village I was approached by their private security. He explained to me that although he understands my rights and supports them, Sea Port Village is private property and that I can not carry my weapon there.

I also found out that he is one of the officers SD, Chris and I mistook for Harbor Police a couple weeks ago. He explained that they didn't approach us because we were not on Sea Port Village property. They did follow us but only to make sure we were leaving but would have approached us if we weren't.

When I asked to see the No Weapons rule in writing he said there wasn't one but he gave me contact information to find out. Sorry I forgot to get his title.

Gale Saflar (619) 235-4624

I'll start a thread for this issue if you all are interested in what he has to say after I call on Monday.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

chewy352 wrote:
Well no one else showed up but the family and I had fun anyways.

While we were waiting in Sea Port Village I was approached by their private security. He explained to me that although he understands my rights and supports them, Sea Port Village is private property and that I can not carry my weapon there.

I also found out that he is one of the officers SD, Chris and I mistook for Harbor Police a couple weeks ago. He explained that they didn't approach us because we were not on Sea Port Village property. They did follow us but only to make sure we were leaving but would have approached us if we weren't.

When I asked to see the No Weapons rule in writing he said there wasn't one but he gave me contact information to find out. Sorry I forgot to get his title.

Gale Saflar (619) 235-4624

I'll start a thread for this issue if you all are interested in what he has to say after I call on Monday.
You guys mistook him for Harbor Police. Did he have a gun either back then or today? If so, he's in deep caca.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

N6ATF wrote:
You guys mistook him for Harbor Police. Did he have a gun either back then or today? If so, he's in deep caca.
Why's that?