• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

REMEMBER WHEN SEARS HAD GUNS IN THEIR CATALOG?

NigNog

Banned
imported post

PT111 wrote:
KansasMustang wrote:
<snip>
I don't remember ever hearing about ANY child molesters or even robberies. Sure some things probably happened but I never remembered hearing of it.

</snip>
It went on and quite regularly but people in polite society didn't bother to do anything about it other than gossip. It was much more common than anyone wanted to believe and is why you now are starting to hear about people being molested or abused as children. Too much of what we hear of about child abuse from today's parents and and horrifed at was accepted practice not too many years ago. Admittedly we have gone too far the other way but I know of cases that in todays society would result in life sentences for people, butwas just accepted as part of life.

I'm glad someone gets it. I quickly tire of listening to people recite their selective memories in order to glorify the past. There's a name for the phenomenon, but it escapes me now.

Did I mention that nothing bad ever happened back-in-the-day?

1245A Defender

imported post

i remember studying that "big book", and that i could order everthing i would need to be a cowboy, except the, actual horse. guns, boots, coffee pot, every id need! all right there! you could get "sears, good, better, or best" stuff. still gotta jc higgens 22 simi auto, and my deer huntin knife. boughtem 40 years ago!

zack991

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
One of my favorite firearms was ordered through a sears catalog, the "JC Higgins 12GA pump shotgun with a compensator and removable choke tubes.
Early morning shooting of that gun would show flames several feet either side of the barrel coming from the compensator slots. And I clearly remember shooting paper-hulled shells through that gun too.

When did the "guns are evil" movement begin? wasn't it about the same time as the equal rights movement?
With the birth of liberal gas bags in this country and they have been the worst thing since Hitler.

Mini14

imported post

NigNog wrote:
PT111 wrote:
KansasMustang wrote:
<snip>
I don't remember ever hearing about ANY child molesters or even robberies. Sure some things probably happened but I never remembered hearing of it.

</snip>
It went on and quite regularly but people in polite society didn't bother to do anything about it other than gossip. It was much more common than anyone wanted to believe and is why you now are starting to hear about people being molested or abused as children. Too much of what we hear of about child abuse from today's parents and and horrifed at was accepted practice not too many years ago. Admittedly we have gone too far the other way but I know of cases that in todays society would result in life sentences for people, butwas just accepted as part of life.
I'm glad someone gets it. I quickly tire of listening to people recite their selective memories in order to glorify the past. There's a name for the phenomenon, but it escapes me now.

Did I mention that nothing bad ever happened back-in-the-day?
Yeou were allowed to use a leather doubled up belt on a kid. If you drew blood, God help you if went before the Judge. Back then, the thugs' parents and the lawyers both did not boss the judge in their court room.
Assault weapons causing crime? If that were true, the pre-1968 GCA era would have been the most violent in history. 20 shot Broomhandle pistols, 30 shot M1 carbines, 13 shot Browning 9mms, AR15s, AR180s. All these guns were sold through the mail order, no form 4473.
The Miranda Decision destroyed America, not mail order gun sales.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Oh brother. Not the "Miranda handcuffed the police" BS again.....

Here are the facts: Ernesto Miranda was interviewed by the police, who got a confession to a rape out of him. Miranda's lawyers argued successfully before SCOTUS that he had confessed because he belirved he had no other option. Hence the so-called "Miranda Warnings" routinely read to suspects before formal interrogation. HOWEVER!!!

Miranda got a new trial. As it turned out the cops did not NEED a coerced confession, and he was convicted anew, even though his statements were not allowed. Mirnda was convicted of rape, and as ro what happened to him I do not know nor do I care. He is just another rapist as far as I am concerned.

As to the "Miranda warnings" I read an article about a Montgomery Co. MD cop a while back who wanted to get a mooonlight job as a car salesman and the owner of the dealership doubted his ability as a salesman, and the cop told him:

"Every day almost I drag guys into a room where they don't want to be and who don't want to talk to me. THEN I tell them they don't HAVE to talk to me, AND that if they DO talk to me I will use WHATEVER THEY SAY TO ME to put them in jail.

And THEN I get them to tell me in detail the worst thing they have ever done.

AND YOU DON'T THINK I CAN SELL A &^%^^$ing CAR????"

Like I said, there were Chester Molestors in my day. Diff was, often there ws no formal police/government involvement. When for example a neighbor boy (true story) tried to get me to "go back in the bushes", I told my dad. He was 16, I was 9. My dad told me he would take care of it. The next day he had a talk with the older boy which consisted of my dad smacking the crap out of him. I did not know about this until way later but I did know that "Dougie" from that point on acted as if I was radioactive. No court appearences or "bad-touch doll" re-enactments for me, just the knowledge thqat I was protected. Three quarters of the crap we lay on the police and the courts these days could be resolved if only individual citizens and the community locally would stand up for what is right. Back when you could get a revolver shipped to your doorstep, that was the case. Not - alas- anymore.