• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wierd question

younggun20

imported post

So i was thinking yesterday, from what I understand only violent crimes and such can stop you from owning a firearm and carrying. What about moving violations, what if they issue a warrant for non payment on a speeding ticket, or no turn signal or something similar? Can something simple eventually stop you?

cheese

imported post

Not by my experience. I have had several moving violations, and warrants for non payment in a timely manner.(several years ago)

I have been granted my CWP. Perhaps a current warrant would be an issue. I dont know for sure.

younggun20

imported post

I just thought it might be funny,

Sir im going to have to confiscate that weapon.
Well why officer
you have a warrant
a warrant!
yes, seems like in '96 someone thought they were to cool for turn signals.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

younggun20 wrote:
So i was thinking yesterday, from what I understand only violent crimes and such can stop you from owning a firearm and carrying. What about moving violations, what if they issue a warrant for non payment on a speeding ticket, or no turn signal or something similar? Can something simple eventually stop you?

Actually, a conviction for any felony--including non-violent felonies like tax evasion or violation of the endangered species act--results in loss of the RKBA. I believe that a dishonorable discharge from the military--again, for any reason, violent or technical--has the same effect. And of course any "domestic violence" misdemeanor also kills RKBA. So too does involuntary commitment to a mental institution.

Then, there are a whole host of lessor and even minor offenses which will result in denial or revocation of a Utah firearm carry permit. These include ANY drug related crime such as DUI, simple possession of marijuana, and so on. Crimes of "moral turpitude" (anything that calls into question your character and judgment) can also result in denial or revocation of a permit to carry. Such things might be as minor as shoplifting, or as major as statutory rape of a willing but under-age partner.

I am not a lawyer. And I am neither defending nor attacking any position with these statements. These are merely my best understandings of current law.

Charles

LovesHisXD45

imported post

younggun20 wrote:
76-2-101. Requirements of criminal conduct and criminal responsibility.
(1) (a) A person is not guilty of an offense unless the person's conduct is prohibited by law; and
(b) (i) the person acts intentionally, knowingly, recklessly, with criminal negligence, or with a
mental state otherwise specified in the statute defining the offense, as the definition of the offense requires; or
(ii) the person's acts constitute an offense involving strict liability.
(2) These standards of criminal responsibility do not apply to the violations set forth in Title 41, Chapter 6a,
Traffic Code, unless specifically provided by law
Amended by Chapter 2, 2005 General Session

IANAL though :) Looks like traffic stuff is just an infraction. However, there is probably other code I am not aware of that escalates the infraction to higher state if they are unpaid and a warrant is issued. I would imagine they could yank your permit if it ends up being a warrant. They usually send you notice in the mail before it reaches that point though, so it would be a rare situation.

Kevin