• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming up to grouse hunt!

res2cue

Rhode Island and own a small parcel in western Mai
imported post

A coworker and myself are heading up to the southern area around Jackman to do some small game hunting.
I am going to OC for the first time:D, from what I have read here I am good to go! I do have my ME Non-Resident permit CCP but want to see and feel what its like OCing.
We are going to be stopping at the Kittery Trading Post (for hunting permits and who knows what else:cool:), is there any problems with OCing there?

Thanks for everyone's great input and hope to hear some comments before I leave.

Ken

Hendu024

imported post

res2cue wrote:
A coworker and myself are heading up to the southern area around Jackman to do some small game hunting.
I am going to OC for the first time:D, from what I have read here I am good to go! I do have my ME Non-Resident permit CCP but want to see and feel what its like OCing.
We are going to be stopping at the Kittery Trading Post (for hunting permits and who knows what else:cool:), is there any problems with OCing there?

Thanks for everyone's great input and hope to hear some comments before I leave.

Ken
I OC'd at Kittery Trading Post once, and didn't have any issues. There have been some problems in the Portland area, but I can't imagine you will have any issues "up nawth". I am jealous that you get to do a little partridge hunting! I moved to Virginia last year, and probably won't have a chance to go to my camp near Moosehead Lake for at least a couple years. :cry: Have a blast, and let me know how it goes!

jay75009

imported post

res2cue wrote:

Ken
only thing with KTP, they may have you remove the mag from your weapon, but other than that your good :-D andyou will have NO problems up in jackman haha.........thats within 60 miles of the alagash, barely any PD's , low crime *other than a few pot growers" and its a very seculuded place, my fiances family has a camp inmoscow so i go up there all the time............enjoy your OC'ing :-D just dont OC in portland or biddeford, youll be golden haha

res2cue

imported post

UPDATE!

We'll what can I say, I want to move further north!:celebrate
First time OCing and what a strange feeling at first. My first stop was at the rest area northbound on 95 in Seabrook NH, Had to wait roughly 30minutes for my hunting budding who got stuck in traffic. Anyways at the rest area I un-covered and went to the Welcome center to use the rest room, so far no one has said anything, So lets see what reactions I get. While inside I was looking at all the pamphlets in the racks around the center still nothing. It just felt as though no one even cared, people coming and going. I was in no way flaunting that I was carrying just going about my business.
When we got to Kittery Trading Post, we went in, store had only been opened roughly 45 minutes plenty of workers around, went upstairs, which by the way I could have spent all day up there:cool: and not one word was said to me in regards to me OCing. My buddy asked to see a custom Kimber and the gentleman behind the counter asked which Springfield Armory XD I was wearing :D
For the rest of my time in Maine I OCed, in Jackaman and Rockwood not a single look was given to me that I noticed.

Like the Maine saying goes "The way life should be"

Hendu024

imported post

res2cue wrote:
UPDATE!

We'll what can I say, I want to move further north!:celebrate
First time OCing and what a strange feeling at first. My first stop was at the rest area northbound on 95 in Seabrook NH, Had to wait roughly 30minutes for my hunting budding who got stuck in traffic. Anyways at the rest area I un-covered and went to the Welcome center to use the rest room, so far no one has said anything, So lets see what reactions I get. While inside I was looking at all the pamphlets in the racks around the center still nothing. It just felt as though no one even cared, people coming and going. I was in no way flaunting that I was carrying just going about my business.
When we got to Kittery Trading Post, we went in, store had only been opened roughly 45 minutes plenty of workers around, went upstairs, which by the way I could have spent all day up there:cool: and not one word was said to me in regards to me OCing. My buddy asked to see a custom Kimber and the gentleman behind the counter asked which Springfield Armory XD I was wearing :D
For the rest of my time in Maine I OCed, in Jackaman and Rockwood not a single look was given to me that I noticed.

Like the Maine saying goes "The way life should be"
Glad to hear it was a good trip! As far as the "way life should be"... you won't like the taxes up there that's for sure. But I do miss Maine every day, especially this time of year.

res2cue

imported post

Deuce1911 wrote:
i wanna hear about the hunting! i was up there the second week and saw four birds thats it!!
Hunting was good. In 3 days we got 7 birds (with no dogs either)and I got me a big old fat snowshoe heir!
The rabbit was an easy shot, riding back to camp on the logging road I spotted him sitting on a flat rock, we drove by,I got out and put a stalk on it. Use my Ruger 22lr Marc III with red dot scope at 15yrds. Perfect head shot!
Saw 5 moose

Deuce1911

imported post

nice kid! where abouts did you hunt? i was on Brochu road and out behind Indian Pond. lol i almost stepped on a cotton tail! but that was about it. wasnt jack for bird out there.

res2cue

imported post

Deuce1911 wrote:
nice kid! where abouts did you hunt? i was on Brochu road and out behind Indian Pond. lol i almost stepped on a cotton tail! but that was about it. wasnt jack for bird out there.
Deuce,
We where around Cold Stream Road I believe it was called, which is off another road of RT15. We had set up our base camp at Cold Stream Pond and would drive the logging roads. Get out and walk up and down the roads. Every bird was sitting along side the road. When they would see us they would scamper into the woods and the push/drive was on :cool:

That Snowshoe heir was good eating over an open fire and so was the grouse in a frying pan with some beer ;)