• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Backyard bear "hunting"

Just a Guy

Edward Peruta

imported post

Bears in Connecticut will be treated like Winnie the Pooh until a small child is attacked in someones back yard, or one gets into someones home.

Small animals are often found to have rabies which causes them to lose their fearand becomevery agressive towards humans, Bears are no different.

It's only a matter of time before thebear population becomes a problem that the state will not know how to handle.

ESCH

imported post

We had a moose on the loose a couple of days ago.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

GoldCoaster wrote:
But shooting anything other than a squirrel with a 22 is only going to piss it off.
It did make it run off and climb a tree...he probably shot from his backdoor and then locked it and hoped it went away...LOL

Just a Guy

imported post

Lenny Benedetto wrote:
GoldCoaster wrote:
But shooting anything other than a squirrel with a 22 is only going to piss it off.
It did make it run off and climb a tree...he probably shot from his backdoor and then locked it and hoped it went away...LOL

It makes you wonder what the guy was thinking... a bear vs. a .22?Just as likelyto piss him off as scare him away.

Then there's this gem from the article.. "Marrella said it was "very rare" for a black bear to attack a person. Generally, they are shy and seek to avoid human contact. "In fact," she said, "the department is not aware of a single incident involving a black bear injuring a person in the state of Connecticut.""

I'm sure those are the thoughts Mrs. Marrellawould have were she to comeface to face with a bear in herback yard.

Rich B

imported post

I don't see anything wrong with this guy shooting the bear with a .22. He doesn't seem to express that he was in fear for his life. He likely had no plans or desire to kill it, only to make it leave his property.

He succeeded.

Like it or not, many people have and still do carry .22LR and .22 magnum handguns for self defense. Would I do it? No. But many people owe their lives to their .22, and I cannot really argue that.

Lon

imported post

GoldCoaster wrote:

It's likely that's all he had. Better than a baseball bat. :)

Rich B

imported post

Lon wrote:

And since he ended up being charged, it is likely better than anything larger. This should help his defense that he was not trying to hunt or kill the bear, but that he wanted it off his property.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Rich B wrote:
Lon wrote:

And since he ended up being charged, it is likely better than anything larger. This should help his defense that he was not trying to hunt or kill the bear, but that he wanted it off his property.
As a deterrent it worked in this case, had he been faced with a full sized adult bear who had designs on him or his house, the 22lr would not have stopped the bear unless the shooter was extremely lucky.

I've read interesting cases of self-defense using 22lr and such, they can kill, one of my friends old buddies was shot with a 22 and died. Any bullet can kill, but grain for grain, when you have a few hundred pounds of bear coming at you, I'd rather put my fate in a 185 grain mass than a 40 grain mass.

Rich B

imported post

But again, this circumstance has nothing to do with a bear coming after anyone. The bear was pestering a bird feeder. The bear was probably never even aware of the human, and simply got 'stung' by the .22 and decided to leave.

And yes, shot placement is everything, but I wouldn't be expecting to stop a human, nevermind a bear with a .22. That is why I don't carry a .22. But I certainly own a .22, it is a heck of a tool.