• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter writing

Hillmann

imported post

We should be writing letters to the law makers telling them that we want unrestricted carry in Wisconsin. In the letters we should include the laws that are in our way at the moment and offer suggestions on how to change them.

167.31(2)(b) [/i]

(b) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded and encased or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case.[/i]

This law is unconstutional because it puts severe restrictions on most people’s ability to provide for their own self defense. It should either be removed from the law in its entirety or have “well hunting” or “during commission of a crime” added to it.

941.23 [/i]

941.23 Carrying concealed weapon. Any person except a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Notwithstanding s. 939.22 (22), for purposes of this section, peace officer does not include a commission warden who is not a state-certified commission warden.[/i]

This law should simply have “during commission of a crime” added to because as it is written now it punishes otherwise law abiding people from providing for their own self defense.

948.605 [/i]

948.605 Gun-free school zones. [/i]

This law is also unconstutional (should include a map of one of the more restrictive cities) and should be changed into an add on when someone has already committed a crime by adding “during commission of a crime”. The why the law is now it basically makes it easier for a criminal to get away with a violent crime in a school zone than outside of one because everyone who fallows the law will be disarmed, which means only the criminals (who don’t fallow laws) will be armed.

941.295 [/i]

941.295 Possession of electric weapon. [/i]

[/i]

941.295(1) [/i]

(1) Whoever sells, transports, manufactures, possesses or goes armed with any [/i]

Electric weapon is guilty of a Class H felony.[/i]

This law proves that the law makers just want us unable to provide for our own self defense because they make it difficult to carry a firearm or knife with a blade over three and a half inches and then completely ban the one other item that is meant specifically for self defense . And that only leaves us with pepper spray (restricted to small sizes only?) which will be just as likely to aggravate your attacker as stop him.

Since I am not very good at putting my thoughts down on paper I would like to leave this to someone else to wright a convincing letter to our law makers about this. If no one steps up in a couple day I will do it myself, but there are many people on this forum who are much better with words then I am.

There is also a website that tells you who your representatives are that would show you who to send letters to. Anyone have a link?

If everyone sent a letter to all their representatives and the goveniner we would at least get their attention.

Hillmann

imported post

logan wrote:
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/w3asp/waml/waml.aspx

I may just send one myself. I'm not good at writing letters, but just including the information you posted would be better than nothing.

That is the website I was looking for.

Now that I think about it, it may be better for everyone to wright their own letter instead of sending out hundreds of coppies of the exact same letter. For those of you who want to write a letter feel free to use what I have posted.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hmm I sent a letter talking about how those laws should be changed...but one law that's missing is 931.247. It should be changed to at least allow us to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol, if not bars as well (as long as we don't drink). It's hard to find a place to eat that's not fast food that doesn't serve alcohol. Even Chuck E Cheese's serves beer.

Joat

imported post

Hillmann wrote:
This law should simply have “during commission of a crime” added to because as it is written now it punishes otherwise law abiding people from providing for their own self defense.
I would be careful with the wording, what crime? Jaywalking watering on the wrong day? Speeding? broken taillight?

How many people go through there day and don't break a law? I'd bet everyone reading this broke at least one law today. I live in Minnesota and I haven't read all of Minnesota's laws I'd be surprised to find anyone who did. Add in other states I might travel in, like Wisconsin and all of the federal laws and there is no way to know more that a tiny fraction of the laws.

Hillmann

imported post

Joat wrote:
Hillmann wrote:
I would be careful with the wording, what crime? Jaywalking watering on the wrong day? Speeding? broken taillight?

How many people go through there day and don't break a law? I'd bet everyone reading this broke at least one law today. I live in Minnesota and I haven't read all of Minnesota's laws I'd be surprised to find anyone who did. Add in other states I might travel in, like Wisconsin and all of the federal laws and there is no way to know more that a tiny fraction of the laws.

How about "durring the commision of violent crime" or"durring the commision of a fellony"?

comp45acp

imported post

Hillmann wrote:
We should be writing letters to the law makers telling them that we want unrestricted carry in Wisconsin.  In the letters we should include the laws that are in our way at the moment and offer suggestions on how to change them.

167.31(2)(b)      [/i]

(b) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded and encased or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case.[/i]

This law is unconstutional because it puts severe restrictions on most people’s ability to provide for their own self defense.  It should either be removed from the law in its entirety or have “well hunting” or “during commission of a crime” added to it.

941.23      [/i]

941.23 Carrying concealed weapon. Any person except a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Notwithstanding s. 939.22 (22), for purposes of this section, peace officer does not include a commission warden who is not a state-certified commission warden.[/i]

948.605      [/i]

948.605 Gun-free school zones.  [/i]

This law is also unconstutional (should include a map of one of the more restrictive cities) and should be changed into an add on when someone has already committed a crime by adding “during commission of a crime”. The why the law is now it basically makes it easier for a criminal to get away with a violent crime in a school zone than outside of one because everyone who fallows the law will be disarmed, which means only the criminals (who don’t fallow laws) will be armed.

941.295      [/i]

941.295 Possession of electric weapon.  [/i]

[/i]

941.295(1)      [/i]

(1) Whoever sells, transports, manufactures, possesses or goes armed with any [/i]

Electric weapon is guilty of a Class H felony.[/i]

This law proves that the law makers just want us unable to provide for our own self defense because they make it difficult to carry a firearm or knife with a blade over three and a half inches and then completely ban the one other item that is meant specifically for self defense .  And that only leaves us with pepper spray (restricted to small sizes only?) which will be just as likely to aggravate your attacker as stop him.

Since I am not very good at putting my thoughts down on paper I would like to leave this to someone else to wright a convincing letter to our law makers about this.  If no one steps up in a couple day I will do it myself, but there are many people on this forum who are much better with words then I am. 

There is also a website that tells you who your representatives are that would show you who to send letters to. Anyone have a link?

If everyone sent a letter to all their representatives and the goveniner we would at least get their attention.

Won't happen and to think that it will is a fantasy. Make an appointment with your state representatives. Drive to Madison and present this idea to them and ask what they think the chances of it passing any present or future legislature are.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

comp45acp wrote:
Hillmann wrote:
We should be writing letters to the law makers telling them that we want unrestricted carry in Wisconsin. In the letters we should include the laws that are in our way at the moment and offer suggestions on how to change them.

167.31(2)(b)

(b) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded and encased or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case.

This law is unconstutional because it puts severe restrictions on most people’s ability to provide for their own self defense. It should either be removed from the law in its entirety or have “well hunting” or “during commission of a crime” added to it.

941.23 Carrying concealed weapon. Any person except a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Notwithstanding s. 939.22 (22), for purposes of this section, peace officer does not include a commission warden who is not a state-certified commission warden.

948.605 Gun-free school zones.

941.295 Possession of electric weapon.

941.295(1)

(1) Whoever sells, transports, manufactures, possesses or goes armed with any

Electric weapon is guilty of a Class H felony.

This law proves that the law makers just want us unable to provide for our own self defense because they make it difficult to carry a firearm or knife with a blade over three and a half inches and then completely ban the one other item that is meant specifically for self defense . And that only leaves us with pepper spray (restricted to small sizes only?) which will be just as likely to aggravate your attacker as stop him.

Since I am not very good at putting my thoughts down on paper I would like to leave this to someone else to wright a convincing letter to our law makers about this. If no one steps up in a couple day I will do it myself, but there are many people on this forum who are much better with words then I am.

Won't happen and to think that it will is a fantasy. Make an appointment with your state representatives. Drive to Madison and present this idea to them and ask what they think the chances of it passing any present or future legislature are.
And again, your right it won't happen with that attitude.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I am in the process of researching how and what the citizens of VT & AK did to get their right to keep and bear arms fully recognized by their government.

Does anyone know the process they used, what they had available to them before their government allowed any method of carry without licensing?

I'll see what I can find, and maybe we should start a seperate thread and mimic their actions to get it to happen here.

The problem we are going to need to overcome is Milwaukee, the criminal faction on the northside of that city is what is holding us back. Maybe it is going to take some more beatings of city officials by voilent individuals to knock some sense into them.

Hillmann

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
I am in the process of researching how and what the citizens of VT & AK did to get their right to keep and bear arms fully recognized by their government.

Does anyone know the process they used, what they had available to them before their government allowed any method of carry without licensing?

I'll see what I can find, and maybe we should start a seperate thread and mimic their actions to get it to happen here.

The problem we are going to need to overcome is Milwaukee, the criminal faction on the northside of that city is what is holding us back. Maybe it is going to take some more beatings of city officials by voilent individuals to knock some sense into them.
Didn't VT basically rewrite their entire Constitution right around the time that their rights were recognized?

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Hillmann wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
Didn't VT basically rewrite their entire Constitution right around the time that their rights were recognized?

Current VT no permit system beginnings = 1903 ....

. Rosenthal, 75 Vt. 295, 55 A. 610, 611. (1903) (holding that required permit to carry a concealed pistol violates the state constitutional right to bear arms)

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I e-mailed Representative Mike Huebsch, and this is his reply:

[align=left]
Dear Logan,

Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts about Wisconsin’s gun carry laws. I appreciate the time you took to share all of this information.

I am continually disappointed that most of my Democrat colleagues feel Wisconsin citizens can’t be trusted to legally and safely carry a gun. Any improvements to existing Wisconsin laws are unlikely while Governor Doyle and Democrats who control the legislature continue their attack on our Second Amendment rights. Until we have a new governor and legislative leaders, freedom to protect ourselves will continue to be denied.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. Please feel free to call me toll-free at 1(888)534-0094 should you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Mike Huebsch
[/align]