• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

[UPDATE] Midland County Department of Human Services Firearm Policy

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

Thank you for sharing your concern about the Midland County DHS office posting a “no guns allowed” sign at its entrance.

You claim that 1990 PA 319 prohibits such restrictions. The law you cite does prohibit local units of government from enacting restrictions on gun possession that exceed state law. It appears, however, you have mistakenly considered the Midland County DHS office to be a local unit of government.

According to a definition found in section (1)(a) of the statute, a local unit of government “means a city, village, township, or county.” DHS is not a city, village, township, or county. DHS is an agency of state government.

Further, and perhaps most relevant to the actions of the Midland County DHS office, 1905 PA 80 authorizes the Department of Human Services to prescribe rules and regulations for the care, preservation, and protection of its public buildings and property “and the conduct of those coming upon the property thereof. . .” [MCL 19.141]

The actions of the Midland County DHS office to prohibit the possession of a firearm in that office, therefore, appears to befully compliant with state law.

Wehope this addresses your concerns.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Here are the pertinent statutes. Looks like only trespassing and destruction of property or unlawful use on the property..hunting, fishing, etc are in the statute. I don't see anywhere the banning of firearms. I would buck this up the ladder.

[align=center]CARE, ORDER, AND PRESERVATION OF PROPERTY (EXCERPT)
Act 80 of 1905[/align]19.141 Care, preservation, and protection of state buildings and property; rules and regulations; conduct of persons on property; enforcement; violation.

Sec. 1.

The department of management and budget, the state board of education, the department of social services, the board of control of the Michigan technological university, the department of mental health, the department of corrections, the department of education, the board of regents of the university of Michigan, the department of agriculture, and the board of managers of state fairs may prescribe rules and regulations for the care, preservation, and protection of buildings and property dedicated and appropriated to the public use, over which they have jurisdiction or power of control and the conduct of those coming upon the property thereof, which is necessary for the maintenance of good order and the protection of the state property; may enforce the rules and regulations, and empower 1 or more persons with the authority prescribed in this act, and may cause a person found guilty of a violation of this act to be punished in the manner prescribed in this act.

History: 1905, Act 80, Eff. Sept. 16, 1905 ;-- Am. 1907, Act 302, Imd. Eff. June 27, 1907 ;-- CL 1915, 1965 ;-- Am. 1927, Act 262, Imd. Eff. May 24, 1927 ;-- CL 1929, 447 ;-- CL 1948, 19.141 ;-- Am. 1978, Act 614, Imd. Eff. Jan. 6, 1979
Admin Rule: R 18.201 et seq.; R 291.201 et seq.; and R 330.1001 et seq. of the Michigan Administrative Code.

[align=center]CARE, ORDER, AND PRESERVATION OF PROPERTY[/align]Act 80 of 1905

AN ACT to authorize and empower certain state departments, and the board of control, board of trustees or governing board of certain state institutions, or the governing body of a municipal corporation, to make, prescribe and enforce rules and regulations for the care, order and preservation of buildings or property dedicated and appropriated to the public use and the conduct of those coming upon the property thereof; to prescribe penalties for a violation thereof and to repeal all acts or parts of acts inconsistent with the provisions of this act.

History: 1905, Act 80, Eff. Sept. 16, 1905 ;-- Am. 1978, Act 237, Imd. Eff. June 15, 1978 ;-- Am. 1978, Act 614, Imd. Eff. Jan. 6, 1979

Act 80 of 1905[/align]19.143 Authority of superintendent, watchperson, or guard as to arrest and custody of offender; complaint; warrantless arrest for trespass upon state correctional facility; limitation.

Sec. 3.

(1) A person appointed or chosen by a board or department set forth in section 1 to act as a superintendent, watchperson, or guard has the general authority of a deputy sheriff, relative to the arrest and custody of an offender against a rule prescribed by the appointing board or department, and may arrest without warrant a person found violating a rule which is prescribed by that board or department relative to trespasses upon property, good order, the preservation of property, or the mutilation or destruction or injury to property. Such an appointee shall make a complaint against an offender of this act, or a rule of the appointing board or department, before that court in which a prosecution for a misdemeanor may be initiated.

(2) The warrantless arrest of a person for a trespass upon a state correctional facility by a person described in subsection (1) is limited to those persons authorized under section 23a of chapter IV of the code of criminal procedure, Act No. 175 of the Public Acts of 1927, being section 764.23a of the Michigan Compiled Laws. As used in this subsection, “state correctional facility” means a facility or institution that houses a prisoner population under the jurisdiction of the department of corrections. State correctional facility does not include a community corrections center or a community residential home.

History: 1905, Act 80, Eff. Sept. 16, 1905 ;-- CL 1915, 1967 ;-- CL 1929, 449 —CL 1948, 19.143 ;-- Am. 1978, Act 237, Imd. Eff. June 15, 1978 ;-- Am. 1978, Act 614, Imd. Eff. Jan. 6, 1979 ;-- Am. 1996, Act 231, Eff. Jan. 1, 1997
Admin Rule: R 330.1001 et seq. of the Michigan Administrative Code.

Act 80 of 1905[/align]19.144 Complaint against person for wilful violation of law or rule.

Sec. 4.

A member of each board set forth in section 1, an authorized person within a department prescribed in section 1 and any other person, having jurisdiction or power of control over property specified in section 1 may make a complaint, before that court in which a prosecution for a misdemeanor may be initiated, against a person who he or she believes has wilfully violated a law or rule pertaining to the property or building over which the respective board or department has jurisdiction or power of control.

History: 1905, Act 80, Eff. Sept. 16, 1905 ;-- CL 1915, 1968 ;-- CL 1929, 450 ;-- CL 1948, 19.144 ;-- Am. 1978, Act 237, Imd. Eff. June 15, 1978 ;-- Am. 1978, Act 614, Imd. Eff. Jan. 6, 1979
Admin Rule: R 330.1001 et seq. of the Michigan Administrative Code.

Act 80 of 1905[/align]19.145 Rules and regulations; entering in record book; posting; duty of prosecuting attorney.

Sec. 5. I WOULD ASK TO SEE THIS, below.

Each board or department prescribed in section 1 shall have all rules and regulations which are made or prescribed, entered in convenient form, in a record book kept in the respective office of the board or department, for that purpose and posted in not less than 3 conspicuous places on the premises subject to regulation. The prosecuting attorney of the county in which the offense is committed shall prosecute offenders against this act or a rule or regulation made or prescribed by a board or department, under this act.

History: 1905, Act 80, Eff. Sept. 16, 1905 ;-- CL 1915, 1969 ;-- CL 1929, 451 ;-- CL 1948, 19.145 ;-- Am. 1978, Act 614, Imd. Eff. Jan. 6, 1979

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

Thanks Venator for the quick reply. I too was digging through those statutes.

There is a pretty good chance they don't have their "rules" in 3 conspicuous locations. I assume that acquiring this list of rules/regulations would be the first step to determine if they have any prohibiting of firearms? If in fact they do, does that mean state law allows them to set their own rules against firearms even though it states... (below)

(1) A person appointed or chosen by a board or department set forth in section 1 to act as a superintendent, watchperson, or guard has the general authority of a deputy sheriff, relative to the arrest and custody of an offender against a rule prescribed by the appointing board or department, and may arrest without warrant a person found violating a rule which is prescribed by that board or department relative to trespasses upon property, good order, the preservation of property, or the mutilation or destruction or injury to property. Such an appointee shall make a complaint against an offender of this act, or a rule of the appointing board or department, before that court in which a prosecution for a misdemeanor may be initiated.

Thanks again.

jbone

imported post

Incase you ever head of this way, here's WA State law on the subject.

RCW 9.41.300 Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.

(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:

(c) The restricted access areas of a public mental health facility certified by the department of social and health services for inpatient hospital care and state institutions for the care of the mentally ill, excluding those facilities solely for evaluation and treatment. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress and ingress open to the general public;

G

imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
You claim that 1990 PA 319 prohibits such restrictions. The law you cite does prohibit local units of government from enacting restrictions on gun possession that exceed state law. It appears, however, you have mistakenly considered the Midland County DHS office to be a local unit of government.

According to a definition found in section (1)(a) of the statute, a local unit of government “means a city, village, township, or county.” DHS is not a city, village, township, or county. DHS is an agency of state government.
I call BS.
Midland County DHS is NOT Michigan Department Of Human Services.
Idiots making $#it up.

conservative85

imported post

Regardless they are not private property, or on the list of restrictions. Therefor they cannot make law, or restrictions, or regulate in any manner. The restrictions they impose are the same as the posted sign in a party store. No law broken by ignoring the sign. If they are not local unit of Govt., and they fall under the state then they are a public building. I don't see the problem.

Am I missing something?

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

conservative85 wrote:
Am I missing something?

I'm not 100% on this, but i think you are. The below, state law, allows special privileges to the "department of social services".

19.141 Care, preservation, and protection of state buildings and property; rules and regulations; conduct of persons on property; enforcement; violation.

Sec. 1.

The department of management and budget, the state board of education, the department of social services, the board of control of the Michigan technological university, the department of mental health, the department of corrections, the department of education, the board of regents of the university of Michigan, the department of agriculture, and the board of managers of state fairs may prescribe rules and regulations for the care, preservation, and protection of buildings and property dedicated and appropriated to the public use, over which they have jurisdiction or power of control and the conduct of those coming upon the property thereof, which is necessary for the maintenance of good order and the protection of the state property; may enforce the rules and regulations, and empower 1 or more persons with the authority prescribed in this act, and may cause a person found guilty of a violation of this act to be punished in the manner prescribed in this act.

conservative85

imported post

So is DHS the same as Social Services? If they have the same authority as the sheriff does this make them a local unit of govt?, & last but not least, they may not be local so that means they fall under state law, State law says that I am licensed to carry in a manner prescribed by law. This is how people got around the Mi State college law. It's legal to open carry on campus, and they fall under that Act 80 of 1905.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I took this information from an AG opinion:
The Concealed Pistol Licensing Act (Act), 1927 PA 372, as amended, MCL 28.421 et seq, regulates the possession and carrying of concealed pistols. The Act prohibits persons from carrying a concealed pistol unless they have been licensed in accordance with the provisions of the Act. Section 5c(2), MCL 28.425c(2), provides that licensees may carry a concealed pistol "anywhere in this state," subject to certain exceptions found in section 5o and "except as otherwise provided by law."

The AG opinion (#7123, found here: http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/2000s/op10198.htm ) seemingly argues that such a regulation is "legal" and that the "except as otherwise prohibited by law" statement in the CPL Law has adequately covered the legal basis for such a prohibition.

The Ag opinion I listed, penned by none other than Mr. Cox, was subsequently negated by the legislature when they passed 2004 PA 129 and 13. These PAs specifically removed the ability of the DNR to regulate CPL holders, but it did not affect any other State of Michigan agency.

In my very limited legal understanding, I think that without any change to current law, carrying in violation of the DHS departmental orders most likly would be determined to be illegal. One way, in my non-lawyer opinion, for this to be changed is by an act of the legislature ( as was done to the lands under control of the DNR)

Caution: soapbox
Before I go any further, allow me to share my thoughts... thoughts which have been troubling me for a month or so now. I could be "off" with what I'm going to say; if I am then look at this as just more nonsense spouted by a person who mistkenly thinks this site has at times gone down in quality.

I almost didn't respond to this because lately some members seem to get a little riled when someone posts regarding a law or other piece of objective information. Posting is taken by some here as "agreement" with the information, then people start talking about the second amendment, that the gov't can't do this, that our rights don't originate in the Constitution...they are "pre-constitutional", name calling starts, a few comments about politics, religion, and someone's parentage or upbringing are thrown in for good measure; the discussion devolves into people basically either "singing to the choir" or casting negative aspirations on others.. I'm not necessarily opposed to people responding this way per se and I am in no way thinking of any members in particular, but just observe that essential information is getting lost in the posturing and bickering. (Note some recent threads that devolved into post after post of misconstrued intent and responses which just brought the conversation to an increasingly less mature level of interaction) Speaking only for me, this blather just lessens the probability that I and some other like minded people will even look at the Mich. section of the OCDO website, let alone post something.
End Soap Box

Remember... this is what the the AG has said about a similar situation, this is not me opining that I think it is a "good" regulation promulgated by DHS . I do not think it is "right" nor do I believe their argument is foolproof. I also am not a lawyer, and I don't need anyone construing this as legal advice. Hopefully, I have presented what I could see as their justification of just such a prohibition. Suffice it to say that they DO think that they can prohibit firearms, for whatever reason. We need to get legislation in place to rectify this.

conservative85

imported post

So basically when (if) we are forced into National socialized health care every doctors, dentist, free clinic, after hours offices, and pharmacy's will be off limits. All under the department of human health services remember under National heath care, everything related to health will be considered human services.

What do you think Dr. Todd?

CoonDog

imported post

19.141 Care, preservation, and protection of state buildings and property; rules and regulations; conduct of persons on property; enforcement; violation.

Sec. 1.

The ... department of social services ... may prescribe rules and regulations for the care, preservation, and protection of buildings and property dedicated and appropriated to the public use, over which they have jurisdiction or power of control and the conduct of those coming upon the property thereof, which is necessary for the maintenance of good order and the protection of the state property;...

This passage appears to me to pertain to the maintenance of the facility/property itself, not to impose restrictions on public use. Where in there does it say may restrict the carry or possession of firearms?

Add: if the Midland County DHS is a County department, then I can't see how they can adopt such a policy. If it's a state department, imo, it's legal if written into state law.

Jblack44

imported post

CoonDog wrote:

Sec. 1.

The ... department of social services ... may prescribe rules and regulations for the care, preservation, and protection of buildings and property dedicated and appropriated to the public use, over which they have jurisdiction or power of control and the conduct of those coming upon the property thereof, which is necessary for the maintenance of good order and the protection of the state property;...

This passage appears to me to pertain to the maintenance of the facility/property itself, not to impose restrictions on public use. Where in there does it say may restrict the carry or possession of firearms?
Yeah I would think as long as your not shooting holes into the building, your good! ;)

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I too think they may be over-stepping. The statue they refer to is posted near the top of this thread and doesn't sound like they are talking about anything other than maintenance.

First thing to find out is are they state or county. The county gets funding from the state, but are they state employees or county employees working there.

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

I have read, re-read and re-read again, this law. The way I interperet their multiple descriptions is; they have the legal right to "control the conduct of those coming onto the property" for generally any reason they can make up. As they put it, "maintenance of good order".

G

imported post

It is a county agency.

That's why it's call the Midland County Department of Human Services and not the Michigan Department of Social Services.

ETA: They can cite any law they want to. It does not apply to them. They can even cite the bottle return law if they want. It has the same applicability. NONE!

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
It is a county agency.

That's why it's call the Midland County Department of Human Services and not the Michigan Department of Social Services.
Could it not be simply a geographic division of a state program? For example, Joeblow county golf club repair, isn't a county operation.

G

imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
It is a county agency.

Could it not be simply a geographic division of a state program? For example, Joeblow county golf club repair, isn't a county operation.
Nope. State offices have state signs.

In their response, they even refer to the office as the "Midland County DHS."

Ever see an Oakland County Secretary of State office?