• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proposed Wisconsin Carry Law

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
bnhcomputing wrote:
No landlord may post or restrict.
As written this clause is the cause for instant failure. Property rights are trumps. Almost all other rights hand on property rights.
Doug, are you saying if I rent, self defense is a privilege, not a right? If my landlord grants me the privilege then I'm OK, otherwise I amrequired to be avictim?

Once property is "rented" the owner surrenders certain "rights" to the tenant, does he not? Aren't landlords required to give notice to the tenant BEFORE entering? If I don't pay the rent, the landlordcannot have mearrested for trespass, or thrown out without court action.

If I own, I can havean individualremoved by LEO, just by making a single call.

I'd say that once RENTED, the owner (landlord) surrenders a great deal of his/her rights to the tenant.

As to failure of such a bill, Minnesota got it in their bill, we can too.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
bnhcomputing wrote:
I would prefer to avoid bashing any member, but I must point out that Mr. German suggestedthe novel idea of the county resolutions for Wisconsin. He put a great deal of time into them, gathering signature, etc. It was at the point where the resolutions/petitions were submitted that Mr. German veered from his stated course.

My concern for his suggestion is that it does indeed come from an "instructor" who stands to gain financially from what was suggested. In addition, I thought he (German) was a Minnesota resident. I would hope that our legislature would take input from state residents rather than non-residents.

Having said that, there is merit to SOME of what he suggests.

Here is my plan:

1. Any adult, or emancipated minor may poses a firearm and/or CC permit. Said individuals do not have a duty to retreat anywhere they may lawfully be.

2. No landlord may post or restrict.

3. A CC permitting system, with reciprocity with the other states.

4. CC permits should be something we apply for at the SAME places we buy our firearms. The same background check is sufficient. If I can purchase the firearm, then I get the permit. I would accept a small processing fee payable to the state for printing/mailing the permit.

5. Voluntary inclusion on a "law enforcement" list.

6. If any individual has a defensive gun use and is found not criminally liable by court order or investigation, they are granted immunity from civil prosecution.

7. The penalty for violating a permit holders rights (unlawful posting, unlawful detainmentfor example) is a $5,000 fine per permit holder per occurrence. This applies to ALL individuals including LEO who are individually responsible for said forfeiture.

8. If you loose your abilityto legally possess a firearm, then you loose the permit. This is the ONLY way to loose the permit.

9. The issuing authority is not liable for the acts of permit holders.

We use this as a start then repeal the tavern, and school zone laws.
And no mandatory training?

Some training good, more training better.

Required training (who, how much, at what cost, how many training classes are offered), to many variables, and takes us down the money road. A right can be exercised regardless of socio-economic class.

Just look at Hunter Safety Education, I taught five classes this year, turned people away from each one, and still here about how difficult it is to find a class.

If trainingisn't profitable for the trainer, we will have the same problem. If it is profitable for the trainer, then it will most likely be cost prohibitive for the trainee.

10% unemployment means 10% who cannot afford the training, meaning 10% who cannot partake of the privilege.

Nope, you can have babies without required training, you can vote without any required training, you can go to church without required training, you can speak your mind without required training, I say you are entitled to your self-defense rights without any limiting economic factors, such as training.

Mr. Greg

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yaknow, I've been quiet recently and just lurking instead of posting, because I'm seeing a lot of "VT/AK style carry or death" posts, but finally a few people here are somewhat accepting the idea of a permit system in this thread, so I've come out of the woodwork to post.

So let's say we do get a AK/VT style system. If we do, I can only think of two states that we would have reciprocity with...those being obviously, AK and VT. I'd rather have a system set up that gets us more reciprocity than less. There's no reason that WI should be left out of the list of states that the UT permit is valid in, if CCW gets passed, and there's also no reason we shouldn't try to get a WI permit valid in many states as well.

I live in ND right now, and have a UT CCW Permit. I can carry in both ND and MN on my drive home, but must unload and encase my carry weapon before crossing the WI border.

OC rights in general should be left alone in WI, but I don't see why people are fighting tooth and nail to achieve something that 46 other states with some kind of CCW permit system do not have.

Call me what you will: a CCW trainer shill, someone who doesn't believe in the 2nd Amendment, whatever. I'd just rather fight for something that works in Shall-Issue states, and go from there, instead of settling for nothing less than AK/VT style.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
bnhcomputing wrote:
I would prefer to avoid bashing any member, but I must point out that Mr. German suggestedthe novel idea of the county resolutions for Wisconsin. He put a great deal of time into them, gathering signature, etc. It was at the point where the resolutions/petitions were submitted that Mr. German veered from his stated course.

My concern for his suggestion is that it does indeed come from an "instructor" who stands to gain financially from what was suggested. In addition, I thought he (German) was a Minnesota resident. I would hope that our legislature would take input from state residents rather than non-residents.

Having said that, there is merit to SOME of what he suggests.

Here is my plan:

1. Any adult, or emancipated minor may poses a firearm and/or CC permit. Said individuals do not have a duty to retreat anywhere they may lawfully be.

2. No landlord may post or restrict.

3. A CC permitting system, with reciprocity with the other states.

4. CC permits should be something we apply for at the SAME places we buy our firearms. The same background check is sufficient. If I can purchase the firearm, then I get the permit. I would accept a small processing fee payable to the state for printing/mailing the permit.

5. Voluntary inclusion on a "law enforcement" list.

6. If any individual has a defensive gun use and is found not criminally liable by court order or investigation, they are granted immunity from civil prosecution.

7. The penalty for violating a permit holders rights (unlawful posting, unlawful detainmentfor example) is a $5,000 fine per permit holder per occurrence. This applies to ALL individuals including LEO who are individually responsible for said forfeiture.

8. If you loose your abilityto legally possess a firearm, then you loose the permit. This is the ONLY way to loose the permit.

9. The issuing authority is not liable for the acts of permit holders.

We use this as a start then repeal the tavern, and school zone laws.
And no mandatory training?

Some training good, more training better.

Required training (who, how much, at what cost, how many training classes are offered), to many variables, and takes us down the money road. A right can be exercised regardless of socio-economic class.

Just look at Hunter Safety Education, I taught five classes this year, turned people away from each one, and still here about how difficult it is to find a class.

If trainingisn't profitable for the trainer, we will have the same problem. If it is profitable for the trainer, then it will most likely be cost prohibitive for the trainee.

10% unemployment means 10% who cannot afford the training, meaning 10% who cannot partake of the privilege.

Nope, you can have babies without required training, you can vote without any required training, you can go to church without required training, you can speak your mind without required training, I say you are entitled to your self-defense rights without any limiting economic factors, such as training.
+100

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Mr. Greg wrote:
I'd just rather fight for something that works in Shall-Issue states, and go from there, instead of settling for nothing less than AK/VT style.
Set your goals high and strive for the top. If you fall a few feet short in the end, that is acceptable. But stopping at the first plateau is unforgivable.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

So an intrusive government is OK whilst you agree with the tyrant and he with you?

This is OpenCarry.org. The Second Amendment to COTUS "shall not be infringed" and the Wisconsin Constitution allows RKABA for all lawful purposes or some such. I will not give-up that for the permitted-carry-pig in a government poke and especially in a poke touted by an NRA client.

Continuing to push the pig-in-a-poke metaphor, after we get permitted carry then the tout will appeal to the tyrant to let his clients out of the bag! What was the last time that a lawmaker increased freedom by writing another law?

AaronS

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Mr. Greg wrote:
I'd just rather fight for something that works in Shall-Issue states, and go from there, instead of settling for nothing less than AK/VT style.
Set your goals high and strive for the top. If you fall a few feet short in the end, that is acceptable. But stopping at the first plateau is unforgivable.

I would have to tend to agree. Never ask for what you need, ask for what you want. I want unrestricted CCW, that is what I amasking for. What we will get, well I just can't say, but I know what I want. I do think we have a chance to get an AK/VT CCW bill passed, after that, just get the UT CCW permit if you want to carry out of Wisconsin. Pay all you want for it, I want mine free.

I know it might sound like a dream, but I am sticking to it.

Mr. Greg

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
So an intrusive government is OK whilst you agree with the tyrant and he with you?

This is OpenCarry.org. The Second Amendment to COTUS "shall not be infringed" and the Wisconsin Constitution allows RKABA for all lawful purposes or some such. I will not give-up that for the permitted-carry-pig in a government poke and especially in a poke touted by an NRA client.

Continuing to push the pig-in-a-poke metaphor, after we get permitted carry then the tout will appeal to the tyrant to let his clients out of the bag! What was the last time that a lawmaker increased freedom by writing another law?
I don't view the extra steps to get NFA items (itself basically a "shall-issue" system) an infringement on my rights, nor do I view a Shall-Issue carry system an infringement either (May issue, on the other hand...). Age and $ being the only restrictions, I'm entitled to both rights unless I did something to lose them. Acceptable age, and reasonable background check fees for both are acceptable to me.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Mr. Greg wrote:
So let's say we do get a AK/VT style system. If we do, I can only think of two states that we would have reciprocity with...those being obviously, AK and VT. I'd rather have a system set up that gets us more reciprocity than less.
Alaska does issue a concealedpermit (only if needed for other states) so reciprocity is viable in all but 13 states in the country.

Is there one other single state besides AK that has reciprocity agreement with so many others?

By begging for a fee-based licensing system in this state, we have already laid all our cards on the table and have nothing to offer when the anti's want to compromise. it is an all or nothing situation. They will most likely say "Ok, you get you expensive permit that requires big payments to get, but you cannot carry ...................... etc etc etc.

By pushing for VT/AK style carry in the first sentence, we will leave a bargaining chip to fall back on. We all agree we want to be able to conceal legally, right. Then lets shoot above and beyond and try for the big tamale. Not just some little pittance for them to restrict even more to make them feel like they got a win by getting us to concede.

I would prefer to see full VT/AK carry, we never know what will happenuntil we try to get it.

Look at how f'ed up the PPA bill got, they entered the debate with bare minimums, they accepted compromises that would have squashed our rights more than what we are already dealing with. if that piece of crap would have passed, we would be worse off than we are now.

throwing away everything we have with hopes of a fair "shall Issue" permit system is foolish IMO.

I would be willing to prove that my concealing a firearm outweighs the states prohibition on the practice. Especially when any vehicle is considered concealment!

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Intrusive 'subjective' like almost exactly? 'Subjective intrusive' modifies an absolute.

Where should a property owner's right to contract be limited - by an un-intrusive government? When should the government intrude in a contract between sovereign citizens? An answer might be, when it enforces equality between un-equals.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nutczak wrote
Is there one other single state besides AK that has reciprocity agreement with so many others?
My Utah non-resident permit is honored in 30 states (plus Utah). Florida's non-resident permit is honored in 28 states (plus Florida). They are two of the most accepted states.

Yooper

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Giving up already because of some bull5hit compromise written by some crusty old fart that may not live long enough to ever see it ever happen.

I refuse to compromise, I will not negotiate my rights away with hopes of getting some small pittance in return.

Did the people in VT & AK say "it ain't gonna happen!" and give in to compromise?
There is absolutely no reason we cannot see what the citizens of VT & AK have seen.

Sorry, I am wrong! With an attitude like your's, of course we will not get it, because too many people are willing to compromise so they can be like residents of 46 other states.

Remember, not too many years ago AK was a no issue state, they had to compromise (CC w/ permit) in order to get CC w/o permit passed.
VT has no permit because their court ruled such as unconstitutional.

I do agree though, lobby for what you want, not what you'll accept. Kind of like a lawyer seeking monetary damages, try to get $3M when you'll accept $2M.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Yooper wrote:
I do agree though, lobby for what you want, not what you'll accept. Kind of like a lawyer seeking monetary damages, try to get $3M when you'll accept $2M.

Thank you Yooper, that was the analogy I was looking for!

If your selling a home, you never list the absolute minimum, you list your "Asking Price" and let the buyer feel they are getting a better deal by haggling..

Since we need to "Sell" the idea of C-C in this state, we should also aim high!
Then once in a while, you will get a few people that pay "Sticker Price" with no questions asked. Hopefully it happens with VT/AK style carry.
Since we already have 2 other states using that method, it would be much easier for WI to follow suit than paving the way, Although the states motto is "Forward" we seem to be going backwards when compared to the rest of the country.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
If your selling a home, you never list the absolute minimum, you list your "Asking Price" and let the buyer feel they are getting a better deal by haggling.
Hah! Real estate. Have you sold your home (not investment property) recently?

Real estate is not a positive analogy-image for a pro-gun argument, being built on marketeering (lying) and ignorant speculation. It does not produce intrinsic value.

We visited here in Aug 2005 while living in a condo in Charleston, SC (there are only two other apartments looking down on SOB from >17 stories up). We leased ~900 sq. feet for ~$15K a^-1. In Sept 2005 we bought our contract here. In Nov 2005 we closed (from a bicycle in John Pennycamp SP, FL). Two days later we were asked if we wanted to buy our apt before it went on the market, "No." It sold in 48 hours for the asking price to the first buyer - for $750K!

Rank speculation. Imagine how that buyer feels now in this RE market. Am I wealthy? Hell no, but I'm not in debt.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Alaska does issue a concealedpermit (only if needed for other states) so reciprocity is viable in all but 13 states in the country.
That is why there should just be an extra "check" box on the form we already fill out when we purchase a firearm:

Concealed Carry Permit Requested? Yes No

If yes, then the state can send it to me in the mail, shouldn't take more than 10 days or so from the time of receipt of the firearm, and the FFL would collect the small processing fee at that time.

So, who wants to help smooth out the plan and put it into a "bill" form so we can all submit it to the legislature. If we can do this this year yet, then your legislator will be forced to deal with the issue, or show their anti-carry views.