• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Voice Recorders

UtahJarhead

imported post

I've seen lots of posts about voice recorders, so figured I'd put an idea out there and provide a spot for others as well.

I got a Sansa Fuze MP3 player a number of months back. It does not have a user replaceable battery, but I don't believe that it should need one. The battery life is several hours long as it is with constant use.

It's also got a built in voice recorder that will record as long as it's got storage space. This is nice because it comes with built in 8gb (max) and has a MicroSD slot so you can add another 16 to 32 GB just by sliding it in there.

The recording quality isn't bad at all and the form factor is small. 1/4" thick, about 1.5" wide, and about 2.5" tall.

inbox485

imported post

I was using a Sony ICD-PX720 and was happy with it until I upgraded to Windows 7 and discovered that Sony hasn't mad any attempt to update their drivers for Win 7 or any 64 bit OS (and probably won't until it becomes too much of a demand to ignore). So, that went back to Walmart, and I'm back to hunting for a new recorder.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

When I go out and about I don't want to look like I'm wearing a Batman accessory belt, what with my 1911, phone, extra magazine and a voice recorder. My iPhone 3Gs comes with an excellent voice recorder, and with 32GB of memory I don't have to worry about it running out of space. I just start the app whenever I go someplace that I might be challenged about open carrying and delete the recording later if it's not needed.

inbox485

imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
When I go out and about I don't want to look like I'm wearing a Batman accessory belt, what with my 1911, phone, extra magazine and a voice recorder.  My iPhone 3Gs comes with an excellent voice recorder, and with 32GB of memory I don't have to worry about it running out of space.   I just start the app whenever I go someplace that I might be challenged about open carrying and delete the recording later if it's not needed.

The issue with cell phone recorders is that the recording usually stops and sometimes is lost if somebody calls. I don't know how that works out on the iPhone, but one of the must have characteristics is that the recording is not lost if the battery is removed mid recording.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Qik for PDAs/smartphones.

Video/audio recorders are available in many daily use items, some you'd never suspect...

Dreamer

imported post

I tried to install "Qik" on my iPhone, and it completely fubar'd it. I had to completely wipe and re-load the phone's entire system and all my apps and media to get it working again.

That was about 2 hours of my life I'll never get back...

So now I've got UStream. Haven't uploaded anything yet, but I've played with it, and it seems to work pretty well. Video quality os good, and sound quality is OK, if you're using the built-in mic, but a little low-level and directional if you have your headset plugged in. Plus it's iTunes Store certified, and free. But it only works on the 3Gs.

http://www.ustream.tv/discovery/live/all?filter=mobile

okboomer

imported post

I use the Sony Digital Recorder that WalMart carries and attach a T7. The recorder has hours of record time, works well on the two AAA batteries, can be tucked discretely in a pocket and the T7 placed strategically to avoid rustling and such (o).(o) and after a couple of years of practice, it is just a moment to "load." :lol:

inbox485

imported post

okboomer wrote:
I use the Sony Digital Recorder that WalMart carries and attach a T7. The recorder has hours of record time, works well on the two AAA batteries, can be tucked discretely in a pocket and the T7 placed strategically to avoid rustling and such (o).(o) and after a couple of years of practice, it is just a moment to "load." :lol:

That recorder (ICD-PX720 if it is still the same) has some truly awesome features.
- If the batteries run out or are removed or the memory runs out, the recording is still saved. If officer friendly yanks out the batteries, you will still have the recording up to that point.
- On the second to highest record mode, I got about 48 hours record time, and 30 hours battery life off rechargeable AAA's. That meant that I could get up in the morning, dump the previous day's recording, swap the batteries and restart the recording and be good for the day.
- The microphone has excellent pick up for distant sounds.
- The microphone and headphone jack were on the top making it streamlined if you wanted to keep it in a pocket or pouch.
- It has a listen mode which allows you to monitor the recording as it goes.

It did have a couple critical drawbacks:
- There was no vibration buffer around the mic, so any time something touched the recorder the scratching and static were very loud (it still picked up sound pretty well though).
- The recorder has USB, but it is not a mass storage device and it appears Sony has no intentions of making a 64 bit driver for it.

okboomer

imported post

inbox485 wrote:
okboomer wrote:

<snip>
- There was no vibration buffer around the mic, so any time something touched the recorder the scratching and static were very loud (it still picked up sound pretty well though).
That is why I used the Radio Shack T7 which was also handy for recording phone conversations.

As a female, I have a "natural" hiding place for the T7: (o).(o) <<visual aid

inbox485

imported post

okboomer wrote:
inbox485 wrote:
okboomer wrote:

<snip>
That is why I used the Radio Shack T7 which was also handy for recording phone conversations.

As a female, I have a "natural" hiding place for the T7:  (o).(o)  <<visual aid

Pictures or it didn't happen. J/K
But really, I tried a Google search for radio shack T7 and all I could find was 7" TVs. I'm assuming that isn't what you are referring to. Is the T7 still made?

okboomer

imported post

inbox485 wrote:
okboomer wrote:
As a female, I have a "natural" hiding place for the T7: (o).(o) <<visual aid

Pictures or it didn't happen. J/K
But really, I tried a Google search for radio shack T7 and all I could find was 7" TVs. I'm assuming that isn't what you are referring to. Is the T7 still made?

The T7 (used to be TP-6)is a small two-way ear phone jack that allows you to hear the phone conversation while also taping the conversation. It also makes a great concealed microphone for discrete recording. I don't know if it is listed, but any Radio Shack will have it, just ask, they cost less than $10.00 where I live.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

okboomer wrote:
inbox485 wrote:
okboomer wrote:

<snip>

Nope... not quite getting it... ... Just... can't picture it....

Maybe a picture would help?

:lol:

inbox485

imported post

The Atomic Ass wrote:
okboomer wrote:
We men should be so lucky.  :lol:

Try this place:shock::
____
( * )
/ /\ \
/ / \ \

You may find the fit a bit snug, but you can be sure it will go unnoticed during a pat down. I would love to see the look on the booking officers face during the cavity search though.