• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Favored carry postion?

dbark

imported post

So I just received my Crossbreed Supertuck in the mail. I was extremely impressed with the delivery time! The website says 2-3 weeks and I believe I ordered mine about a week ago. Now I am grappling with placement. I find it most comfortable at about 5 o clock. With it there though when I sit down it seems to print fairly heavily while I am in motion, and when I stand up the grip tape grips my shirt and holds it up a little too much. I like that carrying back there, if I am getting stuck up for my wallet, I have to go to that area to retrieve a wallet anyways. My other thought is about 3 o clock. This seems to offer a little better concealment and places it at my most dominant position. But would take the element of surprise off if I need to draw. Just wondering what works for you guys and what you do/don't like. I will be carrying a Glock 23.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

well its getting colder so i wear a coat. but i don't mind if i print when I go out. but if you want one that doesnt. you need a belt holster or a inside the pants

TechnoWeenie

imported post

I prefer mine right side up....

You can get jackets with firearms cutouts...

Mad Pick

imported post

I carry an XD9 subcompact in a Supertuck. My observations:

- You'll just have to keep trying different positions to see what works for you. I carry at about 3:30, immediately behind my hipbone. Any further forward, and it sticks out too far. Any further back, and it is less comfortable in the car and it can sort of "bounce" a little bit when I walk. At 3:30, it just seems to ride up and down with my hip.

- Also try different cants and holster heights by adjusting the clips. I have mine level, with the top of the Kydex right at the top of my pants, but something different may work for you.

- Get a good stiff gun belt; this will make a huge difference in comfort and concealment. I have a $35 5.11 leather belt, which works well but in my opinion isn't really a well-built belt that will last me a long time. Based on reviews I've read, I'd buy a belt from Crossbreed or Beltman if you don't already have a good one.

- Yes, grip tape or rubber grips will cause your shirt to stick a bit.

Just keep moving that holster around . . . try it one way for a couple of days, then in another position for a couple of days, then another, drive with it, walk with it, etc. You'll find the sweet spot for you.

steble01

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
dbark wrote:
This seems to offer a little better concealment and places it at my most dominant position. But would take the element of surprise off if I need to draw. Just wondering what works for you guys and what you do/don't like. I will be carrying a Glock 23.
You might have better luck asking people about concealing a firearm on a forum that specifically discusses concealed carry. This forum is named Open Carry.org for a reason.

I prefer mine at 2:30 to 3:00 o'clock. I wear my belt slide holster with the side belt loop trapped between the two belt loops of the holster. I've got a Fobus paddle holster coming and will be trying it out first time this weekend, I hope.

I like my gun up front or on the side because it is easier for me to tuck it tight against my body with my elbow when I want to be extra cautious.
cmon LT.....there are those of us here that do both CC and OC;)

i use a MTAC (kind of like the supertuck) at the 3:30 position also, and i carry a full size beretta 92. i know i print sometimes, but like Boo Boo said, i dont really care that much. i would agree with the OP on the placement behind your centerline in the event of a wallet robbery, but i always abid by the rule which says you cant outdraw a drawn gun. so if someones got the drop on me, they would probably get my wallet.....until they slip up

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Forum polling shows that the vast majority of us have CC license/permits and CC at least on occasion (many of us must because of local/state law) ...

I also carry in an MTAC (Minotaur to be specific) at about 3:00-3:30. Some pants or other clothing choices or activities cause me to move it further forward or back on occasion for comfort or printing issues, but I find that 3-3:30 generally works best for me. I carry an XD45 compact, preferring the full size mag but with some clothing choices requiring the short mag to avoid printing.

o2ryan

imported post

I carry in a SuperTuck at 3 - 3:30 possition. I have found this to be the most concealable and most comfortable. Practice your draw and you will find that this is still well with in the natural motion of reaching for a wallet.

killchain

imported post

2:30 to 3 o'clock for me. Depends on how I feel at the time, if I'm sitting for a long time I scoot it forward a bit. When I first started CC'ing I would carry it at the 1:00 but every time I sat down I would jab my jewels so that changed quick. :)

jbone

imported post

In my hand, could'nt be more ready! Just kidding:D

Commodore76

imported post

dbark wrote:
So I just received my Crossbreed Supertuck in the mail. I was extremely impressed with the delivery time! The website says 2-3 weeks and I believe I ordered mine about a week ago. Now I am grappling with placement. I find it most comfortable at about 5 o clock. With it there though when I sit down it seems to print fairly heavily while I am in motion, and when I stand up the grip tape grips my shirt and holds it up a little too much. I like that carrying back there, if I am getting stuck up for my wallet, I have to go to that area to retrieve a wallet anyways. My other thought is about 3 o clock. This seems to offer a little better concealment and places it at my most dominant position. But would take the element of surprise off if I need to draw. Just wondering what works for you guys and what you do/don't like. I will be carrying a Glock 23.

Whatever position you decide on, practice, practice and more practice! Build up muscle memory so that IF, God forbid, you ever HAVE to present it, you will do so in a SAFE and effective manner. I advise my students to use a mirrorto practice. Start slowly and only speed up when you have made progress and it is a fluid movement.

Makeyour draw a four or five step routine. Do it the same way every time. Look up Todd Jarrett on YouTube for different shooting tips. He is one of the Worlds' best handgun instructors.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=todd+jarrett&search_type=&aq=f

I have had many students who have been CC for years and never thought past the purchase of the CPL, the weapon and the holster. If you rarely practice shooting or even the art of presentation, you're typically not going to do well in a deadly encounter. Remember, that is the whole main point of "packing heat". To defend your life and the lives of those you love.

Only work on the "fight" portion. Remember, no one ever won a fight with a quick re-holster (NO LIVE ROUNDS ANYWHERE NEAR THE WEAPON! Had to throw that in there)

I have a hell of a lot more references if you'd like more. Lemme know and stay safe!

Commodore

EtdBob

imported post

When I carry concealed it's almost always in my sporran. :quirky

You know, a "fanny pack". I hate that term. :cuss: I wear the bag in the front, like a sporran. It carries my wallet, checkbook, cell phone, flashlight, leatherman tool and oh yeah, my Glock 17! I never leave home without my bag.

Ijust can't cram all that crap in my pockets, so I findthe belt pouch very handy. In my jeans all I carry is a knife, bic lighter and a small flashlight.

Ihave used various types of "fanny packs" over the years, some of them quite expensive. I find the best type are made ofleather, the heavier the better, with a zipper closure. I avoid Velcro, because it simply does not last.

When I get home I drop the bag, and often just take the Glock out and stick it in my back pocket.

When I use a holster with it, it's a Fobus paddle worn at about four o'clock I guess. I never really pay all that much attention to the time though...

But hands down I find the best way to wear a sidearm is to tote it on a nice gun belt. Back at the homestead, I usually weara nice heavy 7-1/2" Ruger Bisley .44 mag. This is my oldest gun, and it seems I can always hit what I'm a' lookin' at with this 'ol thumbuster. Naturally the only way to wear such a boat anchor all day and still keepyer pants up is on a nice heavy "cowboy" gun belt.

My wife totes a long barreled Glock 17L about the homestead in a nice leather holster I made her, on a butter soft canvas tool belt. This isn't a heavy gun, and carrying it like this sure is comfortable.

I reckon the more comfortable a rigis, the more likely ya are to be heeled when you might suddenly need to be...

MadHatter66

imported post

I carry 2 types of holsters...

1. SERPA in the 3-4 position, for both OC and CC. I have a pretty large frame, so I can cover it pretty easily with a jacket, or vest.

2. Desantis shoulder holster, for when I am going somewhere a little more fancy, and wear a jacket, or when I am making a quick run out. Its nice to be able to throw on my shoulder rig, snap in my Sig and walk out the door, and I don't need pants and a belt to support it.

I tend to use only those 2 rigs. I like the fact that my pistol is alway in one of two places, and I don't have to fool around to much with placement. It also is a muscle memory thing for me, one of two draws, all the time.

EtdBob

imported post

MadHatter66 wrote:
when I am making a quick run out. Its nice to be able to throw on my shoulder rig, snap in my Sig and walk out the door, and I don't need pants and a belt to support it.

Wow!

This guy will even leave his pants at home before he forgets his gun!

:D

badger54

imported post

When I carry IWB it is usually at 03:30. You might want to consider transferring your wallet to your weak side front pocket that way if you get stopped by a LEO you can get your wallet without going near your gun. If your getting robbed there is nothing stopping you from making out you are going for your wallet when you are really reaching for your gun.

MadHatter66

imported post

EtdBob wrote:
MadHatter66 wrote:
 when I am making a quick run out. Its nice to be able to throw on my shoulder rig, snap in my Sig and walk out the door, and I don't need pants and a belt to support it.

Wow!

This guy will even leave his pants at home before he forgets his gun!

:D

LOL...I can throw on sweats is what I was getting at.

But if I had a choice, I would take my gun before my pants any day...

dbark

imported post

I am posting in the WA forum because I am for the time, in WA, looking for work here, if I find what I am after I will be staying. If I do not find the work I am looking for I am likely to go back to MI. So it seems like most of yall (when carrying CC like to be at 330. My wallet is actually in my support side back pocket, I find it largely uncomfortable in the front pocket or I would go with that. Thanks for the input guys.

massivedesign

imported post

What kind of work are you looking for? This may be an open carry site, but it doesn't mean we are all hobbits...

Maybe a few of us can assist? Where in WA are you?