Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OC on a MC

Post imported post

Here is one I've not seen addressed. I ride a motorcycle, and it doesn't really bother me to OC. It's my right! (I HAVE noticed that other drivers tend to give me a bit more 'respect' on the highways... )

But here is my quandry: my motorcycle has soft leather saddlebags and NO LOCKS whatsoever. SoI really need to 'plan ahead' so that I don't get into the situation where I may 'feel the need' to secure my firearm without the ability to secure it.

Comments, Please?

(Edited for typos)
    I sell ObamaBlades: Single-edged razors you can use to either remove the bumper sticker off your car, or slash your wrists..whichever works best for you.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

vt800c wrote:
    Here is one I've not seen addressed. I ride a motorcycle, and it doesn't really bother me to OC. It's my right! (I HAVE noticed that other drivers tend to give me a bit more 'respect' on the highways... )

But here is my quandry: my motorcycle has soft leather saddlebags and NO LOCKS whatsoever. SoI really need to 'plan ahead' so that I don't get into the situation where I may 'feel the need' to secure my firearm without the ability to secure it.

Comments, Please?

(Edited for typos)
    I'm not real sure what your question is.
    Reading between the lines, it sound like you don't have a CHP...(Good for you!).

You know OC is allright but are concerned about not havong a lockable compartment on the bike?????

If the lockable compartment is the only issue, get a small handgun afe and cable it to the frame and keep it in one of your bags.

If you want ready access but out of sight...better get a CHP.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO vt800! I found myself in the same quandry up until recently when I finally decided it was time to add hard lockable bags to my motorcycle for just that situation. Of course this wasn't cheap, but I determined this to be an expenditure that I was willing to make. Depending on your budget, however you could keep a small lockable hardbox in your saddlebags and run a steel cable through it and attach it to your bike somehow, but ensure that it can't just be taken away with the soft saddlebags.

If you have a sissy bar or hard mounted luggage rack of some sort there are various options available for inexpensive hard lockable tailbags you could add. Lastly if you have a lockable place for tools on your bike you could put the tools in your saddlebags and lock the gun in there if it would fit. Good luck with it in any case!

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    vt800c wrote:

Comments, Please?

(Edited for typos)
    I'm not real sure what your question is.
    Reading between the lines, it sound like you don't have a CHP...(Good for you!).

You know OC is allright but are concerned about not havong a lockable compartment on the bike?????

If the lockable compartment is the only issue, get a small handgun afe and cable it to the frame and keep it in one of your bags.

If you want ready access but out of sight...better get a CHP.
    Nope. No CCP (yet..thinking about it tho...) I don't really have any 'hard points' on my bike that I can attach stuff to. I guess the 'right' answer is if I end up being asked to 'lock it in my car' I will just have to get up and leave. I don't ever foresee this being an issue, as I usually only carry if I am going to go shooting or go to a gun show.

Another thing I don't see mentioned too often is when the open carry is a small handgun (some call them a SNS-Saturday Night Special- I just call them FUN!) I would carry something like a Phoenix HP22 or a Jimenez JA-22. On a rare occasion it would be my Reuger Single Six. Anyone else carry the smaller firearms?

Just topics for discussion, and learning how others found solutions.
    I sell ObamaBlades: Single-edged razors you can use to either remove the bumper sticker off your car, or slash your wrists..whichever works best for you.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

vt800c wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    vt800c wrote:
    Nope. No CCP (yet..thinking about it tho...) I don't really have any 'hard points' on my bike that I can attach stuff to.

One of those Glock Bikes ...huh

Another thing I don't see mentioned too often is when the open carry is a small handgun (some call them a SNS-Saturday Night Special- I just call them FUN!) I would carry something like a Phoenix HP22 or a Jimenez JA-22. On a rare occasion it would be my Reuger Single Six. Anyone else carry the smaller firearms?

I carry an American Derringer Company's 45lc/410 loaded with 444's once in a while. Just make sure it's out in the open.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Get one of those tank bags with the magnets and attach the magnet to a locking holster...maybe like a Serpa.....just a thought.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

vt800c wrote: snip/edit
    1)if I end up being asked to 'lock it in my car' I will just have to get up and leave.

2) as I usually only carry if I am going to go shooting or go to a gun show.

1) Imho,as you should why reward them, there are many places that will gladly welcome you.
    Leave and complain later.

2) Don't really understand that train of thought :?

Your bike doesn't have a frame?

As Peter Nap said, "If the lockable compartment is the only issue, get a small handgun safe and cable it to the frame and keep it in one of your bags

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

vt800c wrote:

Comments, Please?

(Edited for typos)
    On my bike...you need a key to remove the back seat...the back seat needs to be removed to be able to remove the front seat...exposing the battery compartment, there is plenty of room for me to lay my 1911 on top of the battery if I absolutely have to.

If all else fails, get a cable lock and put it through the rear wheel and through the action of your gun andthen put it in your saddle bag.

I open carry on my bike every chance I get...I've gotten looks,and have only had one comment ata stop light.

Post imported post

the cable lock is a good idea..I think that is one I can use!

My bike doesn't have a locking back see (it's a 1-up) and that is bolted down.

And I don't often carry. mostly to the local range. but I will be less inclined to 'hide' it (lock in trunk of car, etc..)

Post imported post

I OC on my motor all the time.

I also am a member of a club that has our base in MD, so I need to disarm when I go to meetings.

I carry to small cases, one for my Glock 23 and one small one for the ammo.

When I get to the MD border, I disarm (DAMN!), seperate the pistol from the ammo, place in their own containers, lock the containers, then lock the zippers on the bags.

When I get to our meeting place, I cable lock the bags through the rear wheel, and the frame.

Carl

Post imported post

I never knew you carried! (if this is the Carl I know....)

I'd hate to ride in DC or MD with one..too many crazies on that side of the river.

Post imported post

Yes, I carry everywhere I am legally allowed, and disarm when I go see my girl in MD, when I officiate games in MD, and when I go to club meetings. Except when our meetings are held at somebodies house, then it is okay to OC or CC, their property!

Carl

Post imported post

I OC a lot on my bike.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

me too...

Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Tisk tisk, protect yourself with a weapon, but wear no gear on the bike...

(I actually don't care...you do what you do...just find it ironic.)

I just bought another bike...I'm pumped to OC on a cruiser now. Holster gets uncomfy on my ZX7, tend to stow it in my tank bag.

The quandary I have is how to "correctly" execute the transfer from belt to bag or bag to belt while having no privacy...just looks shady seeing a guy sick a gun on his pants in a parking lot of a 7-11.

Post imported post

OC on my scoot quite often.

What kind of gear do you think he should wear.

Post imported post

papabear wrote:
    OC on my scoot quite often.

What kind of gear do you think he should wear.
    A jacket with sleeves and draggen jeans, at least. Skin grafts suck, so sayeth my mother. Of course, it's his choice, that's just my opinion.

One of my pet peeves is these turds on crotchrockets with long pants and leather jackets, with their SO on the back in bootyshorts and a tank top at travel speeds, not on the main drag at the beach doin 5mph.

Post imported post

I understand...

At least hes not wearing shorts and sandals.

Post imported post

Something occurred to me here while reading...we have a lot of motorcyclists here in VA that OC...one day next spring, we may need to organize an OC ride...or maybe even an OC Poker Run as a fund raiser for VCDL...just food for thought!

Post imported post

Sounds like a good idea.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Last time that I rode a motorcycle, I openly carried a good sized piece of the skin from my left arm back into the house after dumping my bike in a parking lot.

Then I went back and openly carried what was left of my bike back into the parking space so that the tow truck could take it away.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

I'm in.

Post imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
    Something occurred to me here while reading...we have a lot of motorcyclists here in VA that OC...one day next spring, we may need to organize an OC ride...or maybe even an OC Poker Run as a fund raiser for VCDL...just food for thought!
    Count me in!

Post imported post

Yeah, I'd definitely do a ride, hopefully I can get this new bike restored by then; the seller gave me a great start on the project, now I have to follow through on it...and yeah, I was implying the he might have forgotten his jacket and the lower half of his helmet.

I've dumped a bike without a jacket and it sucked...and I was wearing regular jeans and I was getting wounds checked for infection and re-bandaged on my rear end 6 weeks later. Only place on my full face helmet with a scratch was right where my chin would have hit the pavement. Tore the skin off of my knuckles and broke one hand and I was wearing MX gloves (I now wear gloves that look like I'm headed for VIR on every trip, but what the heck..)

I don't necessarily ride in full leathers everywhere I go now, but I do strive to put on at least a leather jacket and full face helmet even to go check the mail.

On the other hand, I'm a big supporter of personal choice. I think mandatory helmet laws suck in spite of the fact that I wear a full face helmet on my 2mile ride to school everyday, and would w/out the law. I think compulsory seat-belt laws for adults over 18 are worthless, etc. So I certainly respect everyone's right to make their own choices in gear, I just for some reason can't help but say something given the chance on that subject.

Post imported post

I'm down for an OC ride.

Hokie, sounds like you took my punishment for me. When I went down, I flew over the handlebars headfirst 15 feet in regular jeans,a t-shirt and gloves, and all I got was a small piece of road rash on my right elbow, broken wrist and some great meds for 2 weeks. Diloted (sp?) is a hell of a painkiller.

Edit: forgot to add, like you, ever since my accident, I've worn a jacket/gloves/boots every time I ride.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast