• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on a MC

vt800c

imported post

Here is one I've not seen addressed. I ride a motorcycle, and it doesn't really bother me to OC. It's my right! (I HAVE noticed that other drivers tend to give me a bit more 'respect' on the highways... :))

But here is my quandry: my motorcycle has soft leather saddlebags and NO LOCKS whatsoever. SoI really need to 'plan ahead' so that I don't get into the situation where I may 'feel the need' to secure my firearm without the ability to secure it.

Comments, Please?

(Edited for typos)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

vt800c wrote:
Here is one I've not seen addressed. I ride a motorcycle, and it doesn't really bother me to OC. It's my right! (I HAVE noticed that other drivers tend to give me a bit more 'respect' on the highways... :))

But here is my quandry: my motorcycle has soft leather saddlebags and NO LOCKS whatsoever. SoI really need to 'plan ahead' so that I don't get into the situation where I may 'feel the need' to secure my firearm without the ability to secure it.

Comments, Please?

(Edited for typos)
I'm not real sure what your question is.
Reading between the lines, it sound like you don't have a CHP...(Good for you!).

You know OC is allright but are concerned about not havong a lockable compartment on the bike?????

If the lockable compartment is the only issue, get a small handgun afe and cable it to the frame and keep it in one of your bags.

If you want ready access but out of sight...better get a CHP.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome to OCDO vt800! I found myself in the same quandry up until recently when I finally decided it was time to add hard lockable bags to my motorcycle for just that situation. Of course this wasn't cheap, but I determined this to be an expenditure that I was willing to make. Depending on your budget, however you could keep a small lockable hardbox in your saddlebags and run a steel cable through it and attach it to your bike somehow, but ensure that it can't just be taken away with the soft saddlebags.

If you have a sissy bar or hard mounted luggage rack of some sort there are various options available for inexpensive hard lockable tailbags you could add. Lastly if you have a lockable place for tools on your bike you could put the tools in your saddlebags and lock the gun in there if it would fit. Good luck with it in any case! :)

vt800c

imported post

peter nap wrote:
vt800c wrote:

Comments, Please?

(Edited for typos)
I'm not real sure what your question is.
Reading between the lines, it sound like you don't have a CHP...(Good for you!).

You know OC is allright but are concerned about not havong a lockable compartment on the bike?????

If the lockable compartment is the only issue, get a small handgun afe and cable it to the frame and keep it in one of your bags.

If you want ready access but out of sight...better get a CHP.

Nope. No CCP (yet..thinking about it tho...) I don't really have any 'hard points' on my bike that I can attach stuff to. I guess the 'right' answer is if I end up being asked to 'lock it in my car' I will just have to get up and leave. I don't ever foresee this being an issue, as I usually only carry if I am going to go shooting or go to a gun show.

Another thing I don't see mentioned too often is when the open carry is a small handgun (some call them a SNS-Saturday Night Special- I just call them FUN!) I would carry something like a Phoenix HP22 or a Jimenez JA-22. On a rare occasion it would be my Reuger Single Six. Anyone else carry the smaller firearms?

Just topics for discussion, and learning how others found solutions.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

vt800c wrote:
peter nap wrote:
vt800c wrote:
Nope. No CCP (yet..thinking about it tho...) I don't really have any 'hard points' on my bike that I can attach stuff to.

One of those Glock Bikes ...huh:lol:

Another thing I don't see mentioned too often is when the open carry is a small handgun (some call them a SNS-Saturday Night Special- I just call them FUN!) I would carry something like a Phoenix HP22 or a Jimenez JA-22. On a rare occasion it would be my Reuger Single Six. Anyone else carry the smaller firearms?

I carry an American Derringer Company's 45lc/410 loaded with 444's once in a while. Just make sure it's out in the open.

Marco

imported post

vt800c wrote: snip/edit
1)if I end up being asked to 'lock it in my car' I will just have to get up and leave.

2) as I usually only carry if I am going to go shooting or go to a gun show.

1) Imho,as you should why reward them, there are many places that will gladly welcome you.
Leave and complain later.

2) Don't really understand that train of thought :?

Your bike doesn't have a frame?

As Peter Nap said, "If the lockable compartment is the only issue, get a small handgun safe and cable it to the frame and keep it in one of your bags

fully_armed_biker

imported post

vt800c wrote:

Comments, Please?

(Edited for typos)

On my bike...you need a key to remove the back seat...the back seat needs to be removed to be able to remove the front seat...exposing the battery compartment, there is plenty of room for me to lay my 1911 on top of the battery if I absolutely have to.

If all else fails, get a cable lock and put it through the rear wheel and through the action of your gun andthen put it in your saddle bag.

I open carry on my bike every chance I get...I've gotten looks,and have only had one comment ata stop light.

vt800c

imported post

the cable lock is a good idea..I think that is one I can use!

My bike doesn't have a locking back see (it's a 1-up) and that is bolted down.

And I don't often carry. mostly to the local range. but I will be less inclined to 'hide' it (lock in trunk of car, etc..)

t11spanner

imported post

I OC on my motor all the time.

I also am a member of a club that has our base in MD, so I need to disarm when I go to meetings.

I carry to small cases, one for my Glock 23 and one small one for the ammo.

When I get to the MD border, I disarm (DAMN!), seperate the pistol from the ammo, place in their own containers, lock the containers, then lock the zippers on the bags.

When I get to our meeting place, I cable lock the bags through the rear wheel, and the frame.

Carl

vt800c

imported post

I never knew you carried! (if this is the Carl I know....)

I'd hate to ride in DC or MD with one..too many crazies on that side of the river.

t11spanner

imported post

Yes, I carry everywhere I am legally allowed, and disarm when I go see my girl in MD, when I officiate games in MD, and when I go to club meetings. Except when our meetings are held at somebodies house, then it is okay to OC or CC, their property!

Carl

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Tisk tisk, protect yourself with a weapon, but wear no gear on the bike...

(I actually don't care...you do what you do...just find it ironic.)

I just bought another bike...I'm pumped to OC on a cruiser now. Holster gets uncomfy on my ZX7, tend to stow it in my tank bag.

The quandary I have is how to "correctly" execute the transfer from belt to bag or bag to belt while having no privacy...just looks shady seeing a guy sick a gun on his pants in a parking lot of a 7-11.

Wangmuf

imported post

papabear wrote:
OC on my scoot quite often.

What kind of gear do you think he should wear.

A jacket with sleeves and draggen jeans, at least. Skin grafts suck, so sayeth my mother. Of course, it's his choice, that's just my opinion.

One of my pet peeves is these turds on crotchrockets with long pants and leather jackets, with their SO on the back in bootyshorts and a tank top at travel speeds, not on the main drag at the beach doin 5mph.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

Something occurred to me here while reading...we have a lot of motorcyclists here in VA that OC...one day next spring, we may need to organize an OC ride...or maybe even an OC Poker Run as a fund raiser for VCDL...just food for thought!