• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

After the Freedom Rally

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

http://news.oldva.org/blogroll/after-the-freedom-rally/

After the Freedom Rally

I just received the VCDL Alert and of course, it contains a lot of details about the Freedom Rally. It is posted in this story. I’d like to make a few comments before though.

The Rally was a huge success and despite the Republican party”s attempt to down play the protest, it left a mark. Phillip Van Cleave, President of VCDL deserves a monument for the planning and execution of the Rally as do every board member. See the alert for special thanks.

I’ve been involved in protests since the 60’s and have never seen one as organized as this.

Due to the very nature of VCDL members, it was peaceful and law abiding. Due to the planning and coordination of Van Cleave and the Board, there were no real issues.

I am not a fan of coordinating anything with the police and especially the Federal Government (Homeland Security especially) If what I’m doing is legal, they can go pound sand. Both were heavily involved in this event to prevent problems.

This made me uncomfortable and I may make an issue of some actions taken by the Henrico Police.

I also UNDERSTAND VCDL’s goals and have learned to NOT second guess Van Cleaves motives. Aside from what I just said, I fully support everything done. In fact…I am awe inspired with this magnificent demonstration of voters rights . .

Harper1227

imported post

peter nap wrote:

After the Freedom Rally

I just received the VCDL Alert and of course, it contains a lot of details about the Freedom Rally. It is posted in this story. I’d like to make a few comments before though.

The Rally was a huge success and despite the Republican party”s attempt to down play the protest, it left a mark. Phillip Van Cleave, President of VCDL deserves a monument for the planning and execution of the Rally as do every board member. See the alert for special thanks.

I’ve been involved in protests since the 60’s and have never seen one as organized as this.

Due to the very nature of VCDL members, it was peaceful and law abiding. Due to the planning and coordination of Van Cleave and the Board, there were no real issues.

I am not a fan of coordinating anything with the police and especially the Federal Government (Homeland Security especially) If what I’m doing is legal, they can go pound sand. Both were heavily involved in this event to prevent problems.

This made me uncomfortable and I may make an issue of some actions taken by the Henrico Police.

I also UNDERSTAND VCDL’s goals and have learned to NOT second guess Van Cleaves motives. Aside from what I just said, I fully support everything done. In fact…I am awe inspired with this magnificent demonstration of voters rights . .

+1

3 bananas for PVC

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

Peter, Harper1227, Agent19,

I accept those 3 bananas :lol: on behalf of the group. Oh, I worked hard on this, but the lion's share of creativity and getting all the details to come together so smoothly was due to that very long list of those that I thanked in the alert.

We are blessed with many amazing and dedicated people and I shamelessly exploit every one of them whenever I get the chance! ;)

Here they are (and a full 3, or , hell, even 4 bananas to each one!):

Board members: Dennis O'Connor, John Fenter, Al Steed, Jr., Bruce Jackson, and Jim Snyder.

Executive members: Matt Gottchalk (video), Dale Welch, Ron and Jean Hyson, Ron Lilly, Chip Fetrow (sound system), Leonard Harris, Bob Marcellus, Patricia Webb, Sandy Ferris, Andrew Amerine, Chuck Williamson, Susan Brush (communications), Hal Macklin,
and Ted Deeds (law-enforcement liaison).

Also thanks to member Dave Hicks (radio relay between the two Freedom Rally sites).

Repeater

imported post

peter nap wrote:

After the Freedom Rally

I understand Ted Deeds was very helpful with the law enforcement coordination.

Still, there is real merit in what you say. As the various photos and eyewitness accounts attest, there was tremendous surveillance going on. This leads to the important question: who requested that?

If it turn out to be Cantor, then he rates Zero on the Respect Meter.

richarcm

imported post

I was also very impressed with the organization. You could tell that it was well planned just from reading the alerts prior to the event. Then again when you enter the parking lot and see a sea of green vests directing traffic and handing out maps. The plane and the balloon were very impressive and put the event on a whole new level.

I do thank Philip, all of the volunteers and Doc for putting this on. There were a lot of people there. I think there would have been a lot more had the sky been clearer, it been above freezing outside, we were not protesting the party that we would normally be supporting (traditionally at least) and had there not been other protests going on that day across the state.

Can't wait to be a part of the next event!

2a4all

imported post

I imagine that any gathering of armed individuals would be a matter of concern for the local LEOs, but this one had to have made a most favorable impression on them.

Of course, this due in no small part to the impressive planning and coordination by PVC, the VCDL Board and EMs.

More :celebrate!!!

Iggy

imported post

:monkeymore background...you need not feel uncomfortable with the relationship VCDL has with law enforcementin my opinion. a few thoughts if you don't mind.

We politely, but quite firmly, informed those who were not recipients of our VA Alerts as to some of the detail of the day. We informed and certainly did not compromise any of our members values nor those of the leadership of the organization.

"Those" who are chartered to protect congressman Cantor have a job to do as do the Henrico PD and homeland security, we respect their jobsand service but will notallow our rights be compromised. A conversation amongst citizens isseldom a bad thing. No one agency or person "requested" surveillance. It was simply going to occur because the top two in the House and Senate now merit protection from the Secret Service due to being in the line of succession. Not a big deal in my mind.

We noted to the Secret Service that we were about to do something that is not allowed in places like Iran. Weinformed that we intended to completely dominate the public right of ways surrounding the event with hundreds of armed citizensand would speak our minds. Wewould not allow nor tolerate any direction, interference,or instruction. None was suggested.

We were clear on the legal detail of the right of ways and private property lines involved.VCDL had, and has, no problem telegraphing the "punch" so to speak because we were and are completely in our rights. There was really nothing they could say to the contrary. They simply agreed.

Indeed, we did not need to "coordinate" anything with homeland security. They had a right to take pictures as did we. We have a few smiling homeland security mug shots for our "database" as well.

Since the focus seemed to be on physical locations and ground coordination, we just didn't seem to get to mentioning the aerial "surveillance" that VCDL intended to deploy. They may have had their radar pointed up but I doubt it, so I am sure there was a lot of sudden chatter on more than one special frequency.There were certainly somesurprised looks and chuckles on some of the uniformed faces and those with wires sticking out of their ears as the plane droned on overhead.

We provided, at our initiative, a liaison to effect clear communication. This was helpful (for example)when we moved all at once to cross back over the street en masse and the officers stopped traffic for us. We did not have a permit and did not need one. We did not expect their help butwelcomed the gesturegraciously which came over the radio as we were preparing to move. It was a busy street there and this increased our members safety factor nicely.

Law enforcementwasfamiliar where things were taking place and that our statedintent was not to prevent anyone from enjoying or accessing their private property rights, it made fora much morepositive environment. This increased both the enjoymentfactor and ultimate impact of the protest.For example, that "cooperation" also enabled the Henrico police to easily ticket a number of Republican latecomers who were dangerously speeding their way into the roundup past the legal protesters.

From an informed source, we learned there was "competition" to get on the expanded homeland security detail for the "gun protest in VA". This likely increased their presence more so than usualbut I do not believe that they had ever had a "protectee" informed as clearly (as we did) that there were going to be hundreds of heavily armed civilians attending whether he liked it or not.

VCDL is unique in the country for organizing and sending typically very well armed citizens/members into the public to make our principled case.

I agree, that was one of the most outstanding and magnificent protest events I have ever seem. It is an example of how issues should be debated and voices heard as opposed to the uncivil discourse that is prevelant these days.

George Washington left our Freedom Rally quite impressed with the effort

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Iggy wrote: From an informed source, we learned there was "competition" to get on the expanded homeland security detail for the "gun protest in VA".

That's an understatement:lol:
The really amazing thing is the level of cooperation between the the Local Leo's and the Feds.
Not nearly as big a turf war as it used to be.

Harper1227

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
Peter, Harper1227, Agent19,

I accept those 3 bananas :lol: on behalf of the group. Oh, I worked hard on this, but the lion's share of creativity and getting all the details to come together so smoothly was due to that very long list of those that I thanked in the alert.

We are blessed with many amazing and dedicated people and I shamelessly exploit every one of them whenever I get the chance! ;)

Here they are (and a full 3, or , hell, even 4 bananas to each one!):

Board members: Dennis O'Connor, John Fenter, Al Steed, Jr., Bruce Jackson, and Jim Snyder.

Executive members: Matt Gottchalk (video), Dale Welch, Ron and Jean Hyson, Ron Lilly, Chip Fetrow (sound system), Leonard Harris, Bob Marcellus, Patricia Webb, Sandy Ferris, Andrew Amerine, Chuck Williamson, Susan Brush (communications), Hal Macklin,
and Ted Deeds (law-enforcement liaison).

Also thanks to member Dave Hicks (radio relay between the two Freedom Rally sites).

absolutely right. my OP should have read PVC and all the VCDL crew. you are ALL tireless in the fight and are truely appreciated.

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

ps. exploit away!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The biggest thanks of all belongs to everybody that braved the sharp, chilly fall winds and stood tall and proud. Your message was heard far beyond Innsbrook.

You guys are awesome! Singles, couples, families, kids and even dogs - carrying signs, flags, GSL stickers and vehicle magnets all while conducting yourselves above reproach.

The planning and coordination was fantastic. It was quite a show.

Ultimately though the party depended on you; so too a great big thanks belongs to you.

Yata hey