• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Huntersville Police Officer says having a gun visible is better than hiding it.

Godscreation

imported post

While working security at my store, I was with (as usual) the Huntersville Police Dep. passing out stickers and tattoos to children and giving out coffee to parents celebrating our newly remodeled store. The following conversation took place but should be noted this is one officer's stance not the entire department opinion on legal guns.

Me = Me
O= Officer

Standing next to officer at the table, passing out stickers I glance her way and bluntly without beating around the bush:

Me: Lemme ask you something,

o: sure

Me: I am licensed and certified by the state of NC to carry a concealed handgun. If pulled over and I disclose the fact that I am armed, should I expect to be slung on the pavement and get yelled at?

o: (shakes head) naw, just keep your hands on the steering wheel and disclose you are carrying a weapon by telling us or showing us or telling us where you have it. It would prob. be best for you to have it visible when we approach that way it doesn't seem like you are hiding it. We are much more worried about people who hide their weapons and don't tell us then the people to who tell us. What you could do is pull it out and have it visible as we are coming so we can see it right away. As long as you tell us you have a weapon and are honest, you'll be just fine.

Me: I know you guys deal with illegal weapons a lot so I can understand concerns for people carrying guns, I just want to know what reaction I will get.

o: just be honest and tell us and you should be OK.

and that was it folks. Just remember this is not the official HPD policy but honest advice from a Officer. If you live in Huntersville or are near the Huntersville area, then I would recommend OCing, not just for you, but for them as well. I know a lot of the cops and they are very, very professional when working with me and I expect in regards to guns and 2a they are good as well. Just thought I'd pass it along.

wylde007

imported post

Godscreation wrote:
naw, just keep your hands on the steering wheel and disclose you are carrying a weapon by telling us or showing us or telling us where you have it.
There's a big difference between that and

What you could do is pull it out and have it visible as we are coming so we can see it right away.
Manipulating, adjusting or even reaching for your defensive weapon could very well be taken the wrong way by an officer approaching you. I've watched enough episodes of Cops to realize that many officers immediately go into takedown mode if you move even a twitch when they pull you over. It's how they stay alive. Or so they believe.

The best thing to do (and yes, I realize this is just one officer's opinion noted) is to advise, but keep your hands clearly visible. Don't reach for anything until and unless instructed by the officer. It is as much for your safety as theirs.

chiefjason

imported post

I have ALWAYS gotten my wallet ready BEFORE coming to a stop or pulling into a license check.

I have NEVER had a problem with that.

That is always subject to change. Once I have my wallet in hand, I hold it on the steering wheel at 12:00 and get my license out. I have never understood the wait till the officer is at the window to tell them you have a weapon and ask permission to get your license. FWIW, if I have my license ready at a checkpoint I am rarely there more than 30 seconds. I like it that way.

I have so far gotten 2 responses when informing officers of my CCP.

1 Good!
2 Thank you Mr. XXXXXX
The 3 I have dealt with while OC'ing have been great too.

Leads me to believe I don't need to worry too much unless the officer chooses to escalate the situation.

Myrighttocarry

imported post

Well i'll give you a personal example chief. I would strongly recommend as i'm sure most people here would that you don't not open, motion towards, or grab for anything. I'm not a LEO, just from my experience if you would rather not have a gun in your face just wait till he gets to the window.

Coming home in high school from uptown Charlotte(butler independence football game) my buddy decided instead of being late for our curfew he was going to do 75 on Independence or I 74. As it just so happens not but a couple miles down the road thereis a black camaro sitting on the side of the road, it was an undercover officer... he did his job and pulled us over.

At the time we are 16-17, two of us inaford explorer. He intiates the stop and spends probably two minutes in the car calling the license in/getting ready the paperwork ready. While he is doing this my buddy ask me to open the glove compartment to get his information. I comply, I was more niave then, and to my dismay I hear a door slam and very quickly an officer is beside me with his gun and flashlight in my face, telling me not to move anymore. After the situation calmed down he explained to me why he did what he did, the simple logic in not moving until the officers comes to window seemed like common sense for his safety and mine.

He had no idea why I was moving,was I grabbing a gun, knife? Was I merely getting my information?For the sake of the LEOs Inow just wait till they ask me for whatI need, so nothing I do can bemisinterpreted as a threat. They work a tough, underappreciated job, if me waiting a couple seconds can make his job easier and less stressful... it's the least I can do. Just my opinion though.

Smith45acp

imported post

chiefjason wrote:
I have ALWAYS gotten my wallet ready BEFORE coming to a stop or pulling into a license check.

I have NEVER had a problem with that.

That is always subject to change. Once I have my wallet in hand, I hold it on the steering wheel at 12:00 and get my license out. I have never understood the wait till the officer is at the window to tell them you have a weapon and ask permission to get your license. FWIW, if I have my license ready at a checkpoint I am rarely there more than 30 seconds. I like it that way.

I have so far gotten 2 responses when informing officers of my CCP.

1 Good!
2 Thank you Mr. XXXXXX
The 3 I have dealt with while OC'ing have been great too.

Leads me to believe I don't need to worry too much unless the officer chooses to escalate the situation.
The bad thing about that Chief, is that an officer can cite your apparent manipulation of anything in your vehicle as you are being pulled over as PC for a search of your car. Just as you have experienced, most cops, if they noticed you moving for anything and then see you have your license already out will simply appreciate the gesture. But there are some boys in blue who will tweak anything you do into PC for a "step out of the car so I can see what you were trying to hide" Try arguing against that in court and you may find it difficult to do.

My approach has always been leave my gun where ever it already is (unless it was in my lap), turn on the lights and keep my hands on the wheel. In my experience (except one fateful night!) this also goes appreciated and doesn't leave room for ultimately undue PC

chiefjason

imported post

Guess I'm just not one to be concerned that they are going to freak out. And I think that nervousness or lack of gets translated by body language and they pick that up too. I think the lean to the left generally means one of two things. I'm getting my wallet or I have gas. I don't reach into the glove compartment unless they need something. Even then I keep my registration clipped to the passenger side visor. To each his own though. I'm not gonna worry about which is better, just stating my experience.

Dreamer

imported post

I keep my registration and insurance card in a little car wallet clipped to my driver's-side visor too. When I'm carrying (which is pretty much all the time, unless I'm on the college campus where I'm taking Grad classes), I also use a "2-wallet system". I have a full-size billfold that I keep my cash, credit cards, and other cards in, which I keep in my hip pocket. But for my DL and CHP, I have a little leather "business card wallet" that I keep in my shirt pocket or the inside breast pocket of my jacket. That way, when I reach for my ID, I'm not putting my hand anywhere near my pistol. I don't have to dig around jacket tails or seatbelts or holsters when I'm sitting in my vehicle that way, and it keeps everyone happy and at-ease with the situation.

And yeah, anytime you interact with an LEO on an "official" basis in NC, if you are CC, you are required by the terms of your permit to inform them you have a permit, and are carrying. DON'T show them unless they ask to see it. DON'T unholster your firearm if you get pulled over--you will most certainly be met with an "elevated attitude" by an LEO if you do that. I think this officer just wasn't really thinking when he told you to do that...

I've never been pulled over when carrying. My wife says I drive like I'm some 80-year-old geezer, and she's been saying that since we first met over 9 years ago (long before I had my current NC CHP.) She says now, I drive even MORE cautiously and defensively, much to her unending annoyance. But then again, I haven't had a speeding ticket in over 10 years, and she gets one every 12 months or so...:p

And the only time I've had "official" interactions while carrying was during an "incident" at the hotel where I work involving an armed robbery and sexual assault of a guest. I met the officers at the door to the lobby with my ID's already in my hand and informed them. They said "considering the situation, that's probably a good idea", and that was that. They made no more mention of it for the next 2 hours they were on our property...

But yeah, if you're CC while driving, you probably DON'T want to unholster your firearm at the beginning of a traffic stop--that's just ASKING for an asphalt face-plant. Just inform them, keep your hands on the wheel, and wait for instructions...

ocgso

imported post

Please don't EVER try to show a cop your gun.... Inform them that you are a permit holder (if you have it concealed) and where the gun is (if they ask).

I have been through a traffic stop once while CC'ing. I got my wallet out before coming to a stop. Told the officer I was a permit holder and gave him my license and permit. He asked me where the gun was, I told him on my strong side. Have a nice day....

The number one thing you don't want to do is try to retrieve, reach for, or brandish a firearm to an officer approaching your car.....Put yourself in their shoes, would you feel safe??

They repeated this statement 20 times in my CCH class...."I have a valid concealed carry permit, and I am armed". Don't say it the other way around :lol:

thompsongunner06

imported post

At night turn on your int light,,keep hands up and in sight,,wait for any questions from officer,,,When I approached ANY car I had my hand on unsnapped gun or it was in my hand behind my leg. Never Never "start looking for something" or you will see a weapon in your face. If you have aCC card it will come up on veh registration as the dispatcher runs it,,,if in another car just inform him/her you have a CC card and weapon.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Here's the drill. Stop, turn off ignition and radio. Turn on flashers. Turn on interior light if you have one and lower the window. Place both hands on top of the steering wheel. 'Reach for NOTHING... unbuckle nothing. (Especially at night)

I carry my wallet to the opposite side of the gun (cross draw) so that my hand is not going to reach in proximity to the weapon when unbuckling the seat belt to get my wallet. Required by law or not, it just makes good sense to advise the officer that you are armed and where the weapon is located. Try to avoid storing your gun and registration in the same compartment if you have one somewhere in the vehicle other than 'on you'. Arizona being an OC state with no 'permit' required other than CC, may not pair car registration with CC permit. LEO's here assume everyone is armed, but it's just a good idea to 'tell 'em' if you have to go reaching for anything.

Border Patrol doesn't ask for ID or anything if you don't arouse any suspicions. I've never been asked anythingby Border Patrol (ever), even with a loaded AK (type) in plain view next to the seat and console.

At any rate... tell the officer where the gun is... and then follow instructions. Having been a cop... I'm well aware of the concerns during traffic stops... 'cause you never know what ya got . Things can go south inna nano-second.