• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

News Flash on DPS-3-C problems

Edward Peruta

imported post

NEWS FLASH - JUST ARRIVED TODAY FROM DPS

And DPS goes after firearms dealers and individuals who don’t keep up with their paperwork!

This problem existed in fiscal years when there was $500,000,000 left over at the end of the year!

Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:28 PM
To: Ed Peruta
Subject: RE: FOI REQUEST[size=]

Mr. Peruta:

Iappreciate it. Here’s what I have been advised by SLFU staff:

There were 3125 letters sent out originally on 10/7/09, then new letters were sent to the same people the next week with an explanatory cover letter. The total number of missing DPS-3s (currently) is 10927. Because the system only keeps a running total, I cannot account for those DPS-3s that have been turned in between 10/7 and today, and therefore now do not show up on the list of outstanding authorization numbers. The oldest authorization number for which we sent a reminder letter was from June, 2000.

DPS has known that not all DPS-3s have been returned, but SLFU recently completed entering a substantial back-log of DPS-3s, and the completion of that task prompted the letters to go out for those that remained unaccounted for after all the DPS-3s had been entered into the system. DPS has no record of receiving DPS-3s that were not properly accounted for. Authorization numbers and submission of DPS-3s are not required for private sales of long guns.

I trust this response answers your questions.

Seth

GoldCoaster

imported post

HOFFGUN wrote:
"DPS has no record of receiving DPS-3s that were not properly accounted for"

This statement has no meaning.
Welcome aboard!

It's typical doublespeak for an agency that has apparently been so sloppy in their bookkeeping that they don't even know what they haven't received.

One would think that for private sales of handguns between individuals those are the only forms they should really worry about anyway.

Gun dealers have to keep their records in the bound books under threat of ATF sanctions for both handguns and long guns.

Private long gun sales require no paperwork at all.

So if DPS really wants to worry about it they can worry about person to person handgun sales and everything else they can go to the dealers if they need to during an investigation otherwise they don't need to know who has what. None of their business.