• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Draft document describing CT permits and related issues

gluegun

imported post

I've begun working on a document summarizing CT's permit process and related topics. To see the framework I have so far, check out this link:
http://borgnis.org/Connecticut_Permit_to_Carry_Process%28Draft%29.pdf

This document is restricted to the Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers, the Eligibility Certificate, and related topics. I have plans for other documents covering assault weapons, buying/selling guns, etc.

If you have any topics you would like covered that I have missed, please let me know. If you would like to answer one of the questions for me, please send me a PM with the answer so I can include it in the next revision. :) Also the title and structure have changed a number of times, so please feel free to make further suggestions on anything in the document.

The document is 66 pages right now. 60 of the pages are the relevent state statutes, their annotations and legal citations.

Rich B

imported post

I would find it interesting if this included subject matter like suppressors, flash hiders, compensators, etc. What is legal, how it needs to be done, etc.

The assault weapon crap has a lot of qualifications in terms of what is screwed onto the barrel and more. It would be nice to resolve a lot of this.

gluegun

imported post

At the very least I wanted to have the laws on hand for research purposes. It's a lot easier to search the document I'm working on than pull up a number of different pages that contain all of the relevant laws.

You're right though and the laws appendix probably won't stay for the final version, instead I'll just leave the link to the statutes and let readers search for themselves. :)

Rich B

imported post

I would rather the synopsis and brief stuff comes first with a link to the appendix later in the document where the longer text and actual law is spelled out. The appendix should then contain a link to an appropriate site so the reader can check for themselves if everything is still valid.

Details are not bad, but keep in mind that not everyone wants them at first glance. Let the people who want deeper details read on while presenting the brief 'matter of fact' content right up front.

gluegun

imported post

An updated list of topics:

# Gun ownership
1. Who is prohibited from owning a pistol or revolver in Connecticut?
2. How can I own a pistol or revolver in Connecticut?
3. What do I do if my handgun is lost or stolen?
4. Does Connecticut have a "Castle Doctrine?"

# Permits and Eligibility Certificates
1. Who can apply for a Permit to Carry or Eligibility Certificate?
2. Who is a "suitable" person?
3. How do I apply for a Permit to Carry or Eligibility Certificate?
4. Where can I apply for a Permit to Carry?
5. Where can I apply for an Eligibility Certificate?
6. How much does it cost to apply for a Permit to Carry of Eligibility Certificate?
7. What do I need to supply with my application?
8. If I have already been fingerprinted, do I need to submit new fingerprints?
9. What additional information can the local issuing authority require?
10. How long does it take to find out if my application has been approved?
11. What if my application has been denied?
12. What do I do if I haven't received word of my application status after eight weeks?
13. I have my 60 Day Temporary Permit. What do I do now?
14. What if my Temporary Permit expires?
15. For how long is the Permit to Carry valid?
16. How do I renew my Permit to Carry?
17. What documents must I provide when I go to renew my Permit?
18. Who can access my permit information?
19. Who can revoke my permit?
20. What must I do when I find out my permit has been revoked?
21. How do I appeal a revocation of my Permit to Carry?
22. If my permit is revoked, can I still own or buy guns?

# Non-resident Permit
1. Can a non-resident carry a pistol or revolver in the State of Connecticut?
2. How much does it cost to apply for a Permit to Carry?
3. What do I need to supply with my application?

# Carrying a gun in Connecticut
1. Do I need a permit to legally carry my pistol or revolver?
2. Must I have my permit on my person while carrying?
3. Where am I not allowed to carry?
4. Can I carry in a place that sells or serves alcoholic beverages?
5. Can I carry on a college or university campus?
6. Am I allowed to carry in a State park or Forest?
7. Am I allowed to carry in a National Park or Forest located in Connecticut?
8. Am I required to conceal my lawfully carried pistol or revolver?
9. Have I committed a "breach of peace" if someone is alarmed by my lawfully carried handgun?
10. Am I participating in "disorderly conduct" if I alarm someone by lawfully carrying a handgun?
11. What should I know about CT's use of force laws?
Feel free to add more!

ETA: Carrying in CT: Question 2

Please feel free to add more.

gluegun

imported post

Rich B wrote:
I would rather the synopsis and brief stuff comes first with a link to the appendix later in the document where the longer text and actual law is spelled out. The appendix should then contain a link to an appropriate site so the reader can check for themselves if everything is still valid.

Details are not bad, but keep in mind that not everyone wants them at first glance. Let the people who want deeper details read on while presenting the brief 'matter of fact' content right up front.
That's a very good suggestion. I'll make sure the first question gets addressed in the final draft and I'll keep this in mind throughout the rest of the document.