• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time OC

.45ACPaddy

imported post

I've gone several places OCing now, none of which have given me any trouble about it. First time OC was the Denny's meetup on 108th and Pacific.

I've now open carried in Safeway at the Lakewood Towne Center with no problem, and the Walgreens on Bridgeport and Gravelley Lake Dr. with no issue, as well as a small corner store where Washington Blvd turns into Old Military Rd.

All of these were fairly late at night, and most of the staff at that Walgreens knows me because I work at a different store. Otherwise I was only asked if I was a police officer by the cashier at Safeway.

I have a shoulder holster and an IWB holster for my Glock 22. Now I want my Uncle Mike's kydexpaddle holster back! Shouldn't have returned it...

.45ACPaddy

imported post

From http://opencarry.org/wa.html

"Open Car Carry: Firearms may be openly carried in cars only with a permit/license"

As far as I know, and from what I've read, I thought a permit was required to carry/possess a loaded firearm in a car, as per RCW 9.41.050

Anyone know more about this to clear it up? I don't wanna get arrested for having an unloaded pistol in my holster.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
From http://opencarry.org/wa.html

"As far as I know, and from what I've read, I thought a permit was required to carry/possess a loaded firearm in a car, as per RCW 9.41.050
This is correct. And unloaded means no magazine and no rounds chambered.

May as well go ahead and get your CPL, if only for this. Remember, an unloaded gun is a stick.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Well, as a broke college student, the only thing holding me back from getting my CPL is the $52.25 application fee :lol:

.45ACPaddy

imported post

I usually carry it in a shoulder holster (on my left side) with the slide locked back and the magazine out while driving, so it's quite visible (especially since it's on the side of the driver window) and apparent that it's unloaded.

I might just lay it on the passenger seat with the slide locked back and no magazine in it from now on though.

1245A Defender

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
I usually carry it in a shoulder holster (on my left side) with the slide locked back and the magazine out while driving, so it's quite visible (especially since it's on the side of the driver window) and apparent that it's unloaded.

I might just lay it on the passenger seat with the slide locked back and no magazine in it from now on though.

there is no good reason to have evidence of a firearm in open view for a cop to see, if youre gettin stopped for a traffic infraction. you dont have a CPL so he has noreason to suspect that you are armed.

easy way to aviod an unnessary hastle.