• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question On OC

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
ed wrote:
BacknBlack wrote:
Ok...I am guessing to record any incidences....Correct?
Sort of. you don't want to wait for an incident to turn it on. You want to turn it on at the beginning of your carry and off at the end. Then.. if there is nothing to save.. you erase. Some keep their recorders "at ther ready" but you might have an incident when you want to capute the beginning or circumstances that lead up to it.
+1
No way in HECK am I putting my hand in my pocket when an officer approaches me. That is just asking for him to draw his gun or taze me:shock:
+2
I turn it on when leaving my vehicle and just before heading back home I'll switch it off and erase the memory if nothing happened.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I really hope I get a case someday in which the defendant has such evidence. Usually what happens is that the defendant will have shot his mouth off trying to justify his behavior to the cop, and will have thereby given the prosecution everything it needs for a conviction.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

user wrote:
I really hope I get a case someday in which the defendant has such evidence. Usually what happens is that the defendant will have shot his mouth off trying to justify his behavior to the cop, and will have thereby given the prosecution everything it needs for a conviction.
Gosh how I used to love when they did that! :)

darthmord

imported post

user wrote:
User, if I ever get arrested for carrying a firearm in VA, I'll make sure to contact you. I prefer to cover all my bases and make sure that when I play the game, I'm going to have stacked the odds in my favor. :D

wylde007

imported post

user wrote:
My fear would be that the device had been confiscated along with other personal belongings and then mysteriously "erased" or corrupted.

Would there be strong enough legal standing for dismissal if such a thing occurred? I mean, if a defendant said "Well, I recorded the entire encounter and when my recorder was returned it had been erased" would that carry any weight?

Curious if that particular situation has ever been broached in your experience.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
user wrote:
My fear would be that the device had been confiscated along with other personal belongings and then mysteriously "erased" or corrupted.

My concern exactly. And cops are like lawyers, plumbers, electricians, programmers, and dentists: some of 'em are really good, some of 'em are really bad, and most of 'em are average. But if you get a really bad one, he'll steal the recorder and adamantly insist, under oath, that there never was such a thing. In the last twenty years, I've only run across a couple of cops who were like that. Maybe three. The overwhelming majority don't feel like they need to lie, and are willing to let the court do its job. There's a certain amount of "I couldn't care less what happens, now, I've done what I was supposed to do..." that goes into the makeup of a professional attitude.

Would there be strong enough legal standing for dismissal if such a thing occurred?  I mean, if a defendant said "Well, I recorded the entire encounter and when my recorder was returned it had been erased" would that carry any weight?

You betcha! Brady v. Maryland, a U.S. Sup. Ct. case says it's a violation of due process to fail to disclose potentially exculpatory evidence. Actual destruction of potentially exculpatory evidence is a crime.

Curious if that particular situation has ever been broached in your experience.

I've never had anything like that happen. In my experience, the defense lawyers who have that kind of problem are known to be the unprincipled sort who will do anything to win, and the prosecutors and cops know who they are, and often feel compelled to "compensate". I've always tried to treat everyone involved in the litigation as a professional entitled to proper courtesy. That generally makes the process go much smoother, and with less risk to my client.

By the way, if you do use a recording device, make sure you treat the cop with proper respect and courtesy. Don't get upset or sucked into mind games.

novasig226r

imported post

user wrote:
You betcha! Brady v. Maryland, a U.S. Sup. Ct. case says it's a violation of due process to fail to disclose potentially exculpatory evidence. Actual destruction of potentially exculpatory evidence is a crime.
Only if said evidence exists...

Prosecutor: "Can you back up your claim?"
Me: "I recorded the whole thing."
Prosecutor: "The recorder is blank, Mr. NovaSIG."
Me: "Then it was erased."

Prosecutor: "Did you erase the recorder?"
LEO: "No, sir, I did not."

Me: "I'm f**ked."
My Attorney: "We'll appeal."
Me: "Super! I'll just sit in prison while you do that."
My Attorney: "We'll win on appeal."
Me: "Tell my wife that when the bank forecloses on my house."

darthmord

imported post

novasig226r wrote:
user wrote:
Only if said evidence exists...

Prosecutor: "Can you back up your claim?"
Me: "I recorded the whole thing."
Prosecutor: "The recorder is blank, Mr. NovaSIG."
Me: "Then it was erased."

Prosecutor: "Did you erase the recorder?"
LEO: "No, sir, I did not."

Me: "I'm f**ked."
My Attorney: "We'll appeal."
Me: "Super! I'll just sit in prison while you do that."
My Attorney: "We'll win on appeal."
Me: "Tell my wife that when the bank forecloses on my house."
Any tool worth having is worth having a backup for. So let them take your voice recorder and accidentally erase it. Your backup recorder that you didn't let them know about stays hidden and recording. ;)