Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: OC, comes into play during robbery.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    North Carolina, ,
    Posts
    169

    Post imported post

    This is a link to a discussion and example of how OC does not necessarily make you the first target or even a target.
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1088967

    Also in the Charlotte observer, the police force/town I lived in has been quoted as saying "Mint Hill Police encourage citizens to call 911 if they see anything suspicious. They advise that if your home is forcibly entered while you are present, you should comply with any demands made by suspects then contact police as soon as it is safe to do so."

    This is in response to the recent uptake in crime, and home break in's inmy area. This has nothing to do with my original post except for the fact that complying sometimes isn't an option.

  2. #2
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Myrighttocarry wrote:
    This is a link to a discussion and example of how OC does not necessarily make you the first target or even a target.
    While this is a heckuva story about a courageous OCer, it hardly makes the point that an OCer will not be a an automatic first target or an inviting target in an armed robbery. The robber obviously had little on his mind other than getting to the counter. He had tunnel vision for that...

    What a guy the GO was!


    The story also makes thepoint, again, thatcarrying a gun (OC orCC) and being prepared to use itis a prudent and, even, necessarything to do in our day and age...



  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    North Carolina, ,
    Posts
    169

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    Myrighttocarry wrote:
    This is a link to a discussion and example of how OC does not necessarily make you the first target or even a target.
    While this is a heckuva story about a courageous OCer, it hardly makes the point that an OCer will not be a an automatic first target or an inviting target in an armed robbery. The robber obviously had little on his mind other than getting to the counter. He had tunnel vision for that...

    What a guy the GO was!


    The story also makes thepoint, again, thatcarrying a gun (OC orCC) and being prepared to use itis a prudent and, even, necessarything to do in our day and age...

    Most of the time I agree with you Hank, however unhumble your responses may be my friend. Hardly is a strong word though.

    A: Would you agree that most peoplewho would rob a store, such as one mentioned, for a measly few hundred dollars are probably not going to be thinking very tactically? Granted this guy was probably pretty doped up if he took a couple of .45 long colts, which is what you attribute the tunnel vision to I guess, but i'd be willing to bet someone who robs such a place would not bethinking logically or tactically enough to indentify an OCer.

    B: That even if someone that was rational and tactical somehow decided to rob a store with multiple people(some could have concealed weapons, and others in the back OCing, not very tactical but i proceed to amuse you anyways) identifies theOC'ER and eliminates them he is going to create a scene and draw attention(again not very tactical). Not to mention the rational and tactical move to rob an establishment that probably hasa couple hundred dollars on hand, that probably wouldn't outway the risk even in a rational criminals mind.

    With and A and B combined I come to the conclusion for the most part(because there is that little chance) that an OC'er would likely not be a first target because the mindset of a person who is robbing a store will probably be irrational and involve more or less the tunnel vision you mention. I come to this conclusion, you may not, I may be a fool, but I think there is more than hardly a point, I wouldn't say it's full proof, but not many things are.

    I'll say this thoughwhen you're are concealed, you are 100% likely to go unnoticed, until you reach for your gun of course.


  4. #4
    State Researcher .40 Cal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    COTEP FOREVER!, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,379

    Post imported post

    Myrighttocarry wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    Myrighttocarry wrote:
    This is a link to a discussion and example of how OC does not necessarily make you the first target or even a target.
    While this is a heckuva story about a courageous OCer, it hardly makes the point that an OCer will not be a an automatic first target or an inviting target in an armed robbery. The robber obviously had little on his mind other than getting to the counter. He had tunnel vision for that...

    What a guy the GO was!


    The story also makes thepoint, again, thatcarrying a gun (OC orCC) and being prepared to use itis a prudent and, even, necessarything to do in our day and age...

    Most of the time I agree with you Hank, however unhumble your responses may be my friend. Hardly is a strong word though.

    A: Would you agree that most peoplewho would rob a store, such as one mentioned, for a measly few hundred dollars are probably not going to be thinking very tactically? Granted this guy was probably pretty doped up if he took a couple of .45 long colts, which is what you attribute the tunnel vision to I guess, but i'd be willing to bet someone who robs such a place would not bethinking logically or tactically enough to indentify an OCer.

    B: That even if someone that was rational and tactical somehow decided to rob a store with multiple people(some could have concealed weapons, and others in the back OCing, not very tactical but i proceed to amuse you anyways) identifies theOC'ER and eliminates them he is going to create a scene and draw attention(again not very tactical). Not to mention the rational and tactical move to rob an establishment that probably hasa couple hundred dollars on hand, that probably wouldn't outway the risk even in a rational criminals mind.

    With and A and B combined I come to the conclusion for the most part(because there is that little chance) that an OC'er would likely not be a first target because the mindset of a person who is robbing a store will probably be irrational and involve more or less the tunnel vision you mention. I come to this conclusion, you may not, I may be a fool, but I think there is more than hardly a point, I wouldn't say it's full proof, but not many things are.

    I'll say this thoughwhen you're are concealed, you are 100% likely to go unnoticed, until you reach for your gun of course.
    Semantics, but... doesn't hardly and "for the most part" mean the same thing?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    North Carolina, ,
    Posts
    169

    Post imported post

    The semantics of hardly would imply around a 10% percent likelyhood of occuring in my mind, for the most part, or most of the time would be 90% so i think there is a huge difference in the meaning, thus why i argued the point. However futile it was.

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611

    Post imported post

    Myrighttocarry wrote:
    snip....
    "Mint Hill Police encourage citizens to call 911 if they see anything suspicious. They advise that if your home is forcibly entered while you are present, you should comply with any demands made by suspects then contact police as soon as it is safe to do so."

    This is in response to the recent uptake in crime, and home break in's inmy area. This has nothing to do with my original post except for the fact that complying sometimes isn't an option.
    Are we psychic - able read minds and forecast the future?

    And if what they want is the physical use of your wife and daughter before they decide to kill them, what then? Call 911 if you able?

    Even bad advice is worth just what you paid for it.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •