• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC, comes into play during robbery.

Myrighttocarry

imported post

This is a link to a discussion and example of how OC does not necessarily make you the first target or even a target.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1088967

Also in the Charlotte observer, the police force/town I lived in has been quoted as saying "Mint Hill Police encourage citizens to call 911 if they see anything suspicious. They advise that if your home is forcibly entered while you are present, you should comply with any demands made by suspects then contact police as soon as it is safe to do so."

This is in response to the recent uptake in crime, and home break in's inmy area. This has nothing to do with my original post except for the fact that complying sometimes isn't an option.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Myrighttocarry wrote:
This is a link to a discussion and example of how OC does not necessarily make you the first target or even a target.

While this is a heckuva story about a courageous OCer, it hardly makes the point that an OCer will not be a an automatic first target or an inviting target in an armed robbery. The robber obviously had little on his mind other than getting to the counter. He had tunnel vision for that...

What a guy the GO was!
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif

The story also makes thepoint, again, thatcarrying a gun (OC orCC) and being prepared to use itis a prudent and, even, necessarything to do in our day and age...

Myrighttocarry

imported post

HankT wrote:
Myrighttocarry wrote:

While this is a heckuva story about a courageous OCer, it hardly makes the point that an OCer will not be a an automatic first target or an inviting target in an armed robbery. The robber obviously had little on his mind other than getting to the counter. He had tunnel vision for that...

What a guy the GO was!
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif

The story also makes thepoint, again, thatcarrying a gun (OC orCC) and being prepared to use itis a prudent and, even, necessarything to do in our day and age...

Most of the time I agree with you Hank, however unhumble your responses may be my friend. Hardly is a strong word though.

A: Would you agree that most peoplewho would rob a store, such as one mentioned, for a measly few hundred dollars are probably not going to be thinking very tactically? Granted this guy was probably pretty doped up if he took a couple of .45 long colts, which is what you attribute the tunnel vision to I guess, but i'd be willing to bet someone who robs such a place would not bethinking logically or tactically enough to indentify an OCer.

B: That even if someone that was rational and tactical somehow decided to rob a store with multiple people(some could have concealed weapons, and others in the back OCing, not very tactical but i proceed to amuse you anyways) identifies theOC'ER and eliminates them he is going to create a scene and draw attention(again not very tactical). Not to mention the rational and tactical move to rob an establishment that probably hasa couple hundred dollars on hand, that probably wouldn't outway the risk even in a rational criminals mind.

With and A and B combined I come to the conclusion for the most part(because there is that little chance) that an OC'er would likely not be a first target because the mindset of a person who is robbing a store will probably be irrational and involve more or less the tunnel vision you mention. I come to this conclusion, you may not, I may be a fool, but I think there is more than hardly a point, I wouldn't say it's full proof, but not many things are.

I'll say this thoughwhen you're are concealed, you are 100% likely to go unnoticed, until you reach for your gun of course.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Myrighttocarry wrote:
HankT wrote:
Myrighttocarry wrote:

What a guy the GO was!
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif

Most of the time I agree with you Hank, however unhumble your responses may be my friend. Hardly is a strong word though.

A: Would you agree that most peoplewho would rob a store, such as one mentioned, for a measly few hundred dollars are probably not going to be thinking very tactically? Granted this guy was probably pretty doped up if he took a couple of .45 long colts, which is what you attribute the tunnel vision to I guess, but i'd be willing to bet someone who robs such a place would not bethinking logically or tactically enough to indentify an OCer.

B: That even if someone that was rational and tactical somehow decided to rob a store with multiple people(some could have concealed weapons, and others in the back OCing, not very tactical but i proceed to amuse you anyways) identifies theOC'ER and eliminates them he is going to create a scene and draw attention(again not very tactical). Not to mention the rational and tactical move to rob an establishment that probably hasa couple hundred dollars on hand, that probably wouldn't outway the risk even in a rational criminals mind.

With and A and B combined I come to the conclusion for the most part(because there is that little chance) that an OC'er would likely not be a first target because the mindset of a person who is robbing a store will probably be irrational and involve more or less the tunnel vision you mention. I come to this conclusion, you may not, I may be a fool, but I think there is more than hardly a point, I wouldn't say it's full proof, but not many things are.

I'll say this thoughwhen you're are concealed, you are 100% likely to go unnoticed, until you reach for your gun of course.
Semantics, but... doesn't hardly and "for the most part" mean the same thing? :lol:

Myrighttocarry

imported post

The semantics of hardly would imply around a 10% percent likelyhood of occuring in my mind, for the most part, or most of the time would be 90% so i think there is a huge difference in the meaning, thus why i argued the point. However futile it was.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Myrighttocarry wrote:
snip....
"Mint Hill Police encourage citizens to call 911 if they see anything suspicious. They advise that if your home is forcibly entered while you are present, you should comply with any demands made by suspects then contact police as soon as it is safe to do so."

This is in response to the recent uptake in crime, and home break in's inmy area. This has nothing to do with my original post except for the fact that complying sometimes isn't an option.
Are we psychic - able read minds and forecast the future?

And if what they want is the physical use of your wife and daughter before they decide to kill them, what then? Call 911 if you able?

Even bad advice is worth just what you paid for it. :banghead:

Yata hey