• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

reply from city of warren council member!!!

johnnyd74

imported post

[size=]]]]]
John,

Attached is what I have asked to be placed on next Tuesdays

(oct. 27)agenda. Hope to see you there.

Scott

586.486.4438]

[/size][/b]

[align=center]WARREN, MICHIGAN[/b][/align]

[align=center]CITY COUNCIL[/b][/align]

[align=center][/b][/align]

[align=center]Mary M. Kamp, President Scott C. Stevens, Asst. Sec’y. Mark Liss[/b][/align]

[align=center]Donna K. Caumartin, Vice President Robert Boccomino Kathy J. Vogt[/b][/align]

[align=center]Keith J. Sadowski, Secretary Patrick Green Steven G. Warner[/b][/align]

REQUEST FOR AGENDA ITEM

[/b]

DATE: [/b]10-20-09

[/b]

COUNCIL MEMBER: [/b]Scott C. Stevens [/b]

[/b]

REQUEST: [/b]In re: Abrogation of: (1) Article VII, Division 2, Section 22-165, Carrying loaded firearm, (2) Article VII, Division 2, Section 22-166 Carrying concealed weapon, and Article VII, Division 2, Section 22-167 of the Warren Code of City Ordinances._________________________________________________________

[/b]

LOCATION:_____________________________________________________________________________[/b]

[/b]

_________________________________________________[/b]

[/b]

DATE CONTACTED:[/b]

[/b]

REASON: [/b]These ordinances are not enforceable in view of MCL 123.1102. Cities cannot regulate firearms except as otherwise provided by federal or state law.

[/b]

COMMENTS:[/b]

[align=center]let me know if he forgot something amd needs to add it before the meeting??[/align]
[align=center]im going whoelse is??[/align]

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I'm still sticking needles in my eyes from the last one. Well done, They are the largest city to change their firearmordinance (if they do).

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

Yes, he is missing something. Part of #168 needs to be changed as well as highlighted. !I could be wrong about the third part!

Sec. 22-168. Dangerous weapons.

(a)No person shall possess on their person, on a bicycle, on a motorcycle or motor bike, or in the passenger compartment of any vehicle, any machine gun, sawed-off shotgun, sling shot, sand club, sand bag, switch-blade knife, stiletto, dagger, dirk, razor, knife having a blade over three (3) inches in length, metal knuckles, martial arts weapon, gun, handgun, pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, BB gun, pellet gun, air gun, imitation pistol, or any dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, or any instrument attached to or designed to be attached to any firearm for the purpose of silencing, lessening, or muffling the noise of the firing of any firearm; except as otherwise permitted by law. A person convicted of a violation of this section shall forfeit to the city such weapon or instrument.

(b)No person under the age of eighteen (18) shall possess a blow gun or a crossbow.

(c)No person shall sell blow guns or crossbows to any one under the age of eighteen (18).

(d)Sections (b) and (c) shall not prohibit the possession of or sale of a crossbow to physically disabled persons twelve (12) years or older when said possession and/or purchase is pursuant to a permit granted by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, and such person is in possession of said permit.

(Code 1967, § 8-210; Ord. No. 80-452, § 1, 4-12-94; Ord. No. 80-502, § 1, 10-22-96)

State law references: Dangerous weapons, MCL 750.224 et seq.

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

I have nothing but good to say for Mr. Stevens. Not only is he going to be sure to address the additional ordinance, but he even saw a discrepency in a crossbow regulation that he is going to address.

[line]

Dear Mr. Sayers,

Thanks for the comments but, it's individuals such as yourself, those that carry the torch, those that stand-up and are willing to be counted that deserve any credit. People who stay informed and hold their elected officials accountable and call them to task have a tiring and thankless, but, oh-so importantjob. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Yes, you are right. Section 22-168 does need to be amended. In addition to the items you highlighted, huntingwith a crossbowhas been extended toeveryone. I will address the amendments separate as there are a number of them throughoutour code of ordinances that require amending.

Thanks again.

Scott

586-486-4438

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
I have nothing but good to say for Mr. Stevens. Not only is he going to be sure to address the additional ordinance, but he even saw a discrepency in a crossbow regulation that he is going to address.

[line]

Dear Mr. Sayers,

Thanks for the comments but, it's individuals such as yourself, those that carry the torch, those that stand-up and are willing to be counted that deserve any credit. People who stay informed and hold their elected officials accountable and call them to task have a tiring and thankless, but, oh-so importantjob. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Yes, you are right. Section 22-168 does need to be amended. In addition to the items you highlighted, huntingwith a crossbowhas been extended toeveryone. I will address the amendments separate as there are a number of them throughoutour code of ordinances that require amending.

Thanks again.

Scott

586-486-4438
Any change should probably either have a three-year sunset or perhaps reference state law so that the sunset provision is covered.

This webpage details not only the sunset provision, but also details other aspects of the crossbow regulations: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10913_53049-210298--,00.html