Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: Open Carry and Gun Shops

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Culpeper, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    305

    Post imported post

    I had such a great experience at the last OC dinner in Richmond that it confirmed my desire to arrange a similar event in the Culpeper/Warrenton area. I have a few friends that will attend and I decided to stop by a few local gun shops to float the idea around.

    I was surprised to find a gun shop that seemed not just indifferent but uncomfortable with the OC idea. And this was the shop that I purchased my handgun at! The friendly gun shop dude kept bringing up how easy it is to obtain a CHP in VA, and why would anyone want to OC when they can CC. The more I mentioned the 2A, the more they looked at me as if I was trying to make trouble for the gun industry.

    It isn't that I expected them to jump over the counter and lift me up on their shoulders (although throwing free ammo at my feet would be acceptable), but I did expect a far different response. I'm going to visit all the gun shops in the area to see if there is a trend in the response.

    In general, are gun shops/ranges supportive of OC and 2A, or is there some cultural difference in play?

    I was hoping to link the local gun community together, but it looks like I have more to learn!

  2. #2
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    Regular_Joe wrote:
    I had such a great experience at the last OC dinner in Richmond that it confirmed my desire to arrange a similar event in the Culpeper/Warrenton area. I have a few friends that will attend and I decided to stop by a few local gun shops to float the idea around.

    I was surprised to find a gun shop that seemed not just indifferent but uncomfortable with the OC idea. And this was the shop that I purchased my handgun at! The friendly gun shop dude kept bringing up how easy it is to obtain a CHP in VA, and why would anyone want to OC when they can CC. The more I mentioned the 2A, the more they looked at me as if I was trying to make trouble for the gun industry.

    It isn't that I expected them to jump over the counter and lift me up on their shoulders (although throwing free ammo at my feet would be acceptable), but I did expect a far different response. I'm going to visit all the gun shops in the area to see if there is a trend in the response.

    In general, are gun shops/ranges supportive of OC and 2A, or is there some cultural difference in play?

    I was hoping to link the local gun community together, but it looks like I have more to learn!
    Joe, gunowners are tied by a common bond, Guns!

    That said, we don't all get along or even recognize each others rights.
    The best we can hope for is to vote as a block and choose our friends carefully.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    The gun shops that I've OC'ed at in NOVA are completely fine with OC (Guns & Ammo, Virginia Arms, Loudoun Guns).

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    I only know of one gun shop in NoVA that has a no loaded guns sign, it is Sharpshooters (formerly Gilberts). Apparently it is because someone came in long ago with a loaded firearm and started trying out holsters with it.

    I've been meaning to send a PM to the manager (who posts on a diff. site) and maybe discuss the possibility of revising their policy to allow people to carry on the condition that "loaded firearms must remain holstered at all times in store" or something to that extent.

    That said, I've OC'd unloaded several times, no odd looks. For that matter I've OC'd while still loaded since I forgot to unload beforehand and they didn't say anything. I have however heard of a member on this site getting yelled at for OCing loaded. Maybe they just know me well enough to not mind?

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    Regular_Joe wrote
    I was surprised to find a gun shop that seemed not just indifferent but uncomfortable with the OC idea.
    I too have noticed this and questioned a friend of mine at a range. He said it is because of idiots with guns. They handle loaded guns in "no handle areas" and point in all directions.

    What are the rules? 1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction, 2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. 3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded when not in use.

    Go to most ant gun shop on a busy Saturday and you will see #1 and #2 broken ALL DAY LONG by the prospective customer AND the salesman. They are not there to teach 5min gun safety 101, they are there to SELL. If selling means let the person look down the barrel and dry fire.. so be it. I walked into a woman's "aim" in Leesburg and the moment I caught it, I quickly ducked! They all laughed until I told them they are lucky I only ducked instead of drew on her! Then they realized that it was not a laughing matter. I was simply walking in and had no real situation awareness at the time and as soon as I panned left.. I see a pistol barrel 10 feet away.

    Some of the same folks that cut you off on the highway or don't wait their turn at stop signs or throw their cigarette butts out the window have/use guns too... I think THAT is why many gun shops and ranges feel like this.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  6. #6
    Lone Star Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    123

    Post imported post

    ed wrote:
    Regular_Joe wrote
    I was surprised to find a gun shop that seemed not just indifferent but uncomfortable with the OC idea.
    I too have noticed this and questioned a friend of mine at a range. He said it is because of idiots with guns. They handle loaded guns in "no handle areas" and point in all directions.

    What are the rules? 1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction, 2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. 3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded when not in use.

    Go to most ant gun shop on a busy Saturday and you will see #1 and #2 broken ALL DAY LONG by the prospective customer AND the salesman.* They are not there to teach 5min gun safety 101, they are there to SELL. If selling means let the person look down the barrel and dry fire.. so be it. I walked into a woman's "aim" in Leesburg and the moment I caught it, I quickly ducked! They all laughed until I told them they are lucky I only ducked instead of drew on her! Then they realized that it was not a laughing matter. I was simply walking in and had no real situation awareness at the time and as soon as I panned left.. I see a pistol barrel 10 feet away.

    Some of the same folks that cut you off on the highway or don't wait their turn at stop signs or throw their cigarette butts out the window have/use guns too... I think THAT is why many gun shops and ranges feel like this.
    +1

    Sad but true. Idiots ruin it for the rest of us. And the best intentions can be destroyed by one instance of carelessness. In short, I don't always like the "no loaded guns" policy, but I understand.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Culpeper, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    305

    Post imported post

    ed wrote:
    Regular_Joe wrote
    I was surprised to find a gun shop that seemed not just indifferent but uncomfortable with the OC idea.
    I too have noticed this and questioned a friend of mine at a range. He said it is because of idiots with guns. They handle loaded guns in "no handle areas" and point in all directions.

    What are the rules? 1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction, 2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. 3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded when not in use.

    Go to most ant gun shop on a busy Saturday and you will see #1 and #2 broken ALL DAY LONG by the prospective customer AND the salesman. They are not there to teach 5min gun safety 101, they are there to SELL. If selling means let the person look down the barrel and dry fire.. so be it. I walked into a woman's "aim" in Leesburg and the moment I caught it, I quickly ducked! They all laughed until I told them they are lucky I only ducked instead of drew on her! Then they realized that it was not a laughing matter. I was simply walking in and had no real situation awareness at the time and as soon as I panned left.. I see a pistol barrel 10 feet away.

    Some of the same folks that cut you off on the highway or don't wait their turn at stop signs or throw their cigarette butts out the window have/use guns too... I think THAT is why many gun shops and ranges feel like this.
    Thanks - does explain a lot.

    There are some shops that are very welcoming, while others seem to have a skeptical nature - knowing that they have to deal with us idiot customers helps put the attitude in perspective.

    I guess the best approach is to have some credibility, to distance yourself away from the uninformed customer. Something to think about.



  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    San Angelo, Texas, USA
    Posts
    301

    Post imported post

    Regular_Joe wrote:
    ed wrote:
    Regular_Joe wrote
    I was surprised to find a gun shop that seemed not just indifferent but uncomfortable with the OC idea.
    I too have noticed this and questioned a friend of mine at a range. He said it is because of idiots with guns. They handle loaded guns in "no handle areas" and point in all directions.

    What are the rules? 1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction, 2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. 3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded when not in use.

    Go to most ant gun shop on a busy Saturday and you will see #1 and #2 broken ALL DAY LONG by the prospective customer AND the salesman. They are not there to teach 5min gun safety 101, they are there to SELL. If selling means let the person look down the barrel and dry fire.. so be it. I walked into a woman's "aim" in Leesburg and the moment I caught it, I quickly ducked! They all laughed until I told them they are lucky I only ducked instead of drew on her! Then they realized that it was not a laughing matter. I was simply walking in and had no real situation awareness at the time and as soon as I panned left.. I see a pistol barrel 10 feet away.

    Some of the same folks that cut you off on the highway or don't wait their turn at stop signs or throw their cigarette butts out the window have/use guns too... I think THAT is why many gun shops and ranges feel like this.
    Thanks - does explain a lot.

    There are some shops that are very welcoming, while others seem to have a skeptical nature - knowing that they have to deal with us idiot customers helps put the attitude in perspective.

    I guess the best approach is to have some credibility, to distance yourself away from the uninformed customer. Something to think about.

    It might be worth mentioning, some of these shops teach CC classes. Their "anti-OC" might be based on the fact that if more people OC, less money for them.

  9. #9
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    I OC in numerous gun shops and have never been questioned.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  10. #10
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    Regular_Joe wrote:
    I had such a great experience at the last OC dinner in Richmond that it confirmed my desire to arrange a similar event in the Culpeper/Warrenton area. I have a few friends that will attend and I decided to stop by a few local gun shops to float the idea around.

    I was surprised to find a gun shop that seemed not just indifferent but uncomfortable with the OC idea. And this was the shop that I purchased my handgun at! The friendly gun shop dude kept bringing up how easy it is to obtain a CHP in VA, and why would anyone want to OC when they can CC. The more I mentioned the 2A, the more they looked at me as if I was trying to make trouble for the gun industry.

    It isn't that I expected them to jump over the counter and lift me up on their shoulders (although throwing free ammo at my feet would be acceptable), but I did expect a far different response. I'm going to visit all the gun shops in the area to see if there is a trend in the response.

    In general, are gun shops/ranges supportive of OC and 2A, or is there some cultural difference in play?

    I was hoping to link the local gun community together, but it looks like I have more to learn!
    Are you willing to tell us which gun shop this was?

    Also, where might you be thinking of holding a get together?

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wrote:
    I OC in numerous gun shops and have never been questioned.

    Most gun shops/Ranges in NOVA are pretty good an I have never had a problem nor does anybody care to even mention OC unless they are curious what youare carrying.

    VA Arms, BRA, SEG, NRA, G/A Warehouse, haven't been to the "company formerly known as Gilberts" so no comment.


    Other states-----Florida for example. I was down their this summer on my late honeymoon went into a gunstore in Jacksonville they had everything from reloading to class III items and everything in between. Granted this was Concealed notOC.

    I was in Florida in the late summer I was carrying off body (which I was doing since I was in netted shorts an flip flops. I walked into the store to look for primers. Asked the clerk if he had any powder or primers. He asked me if I was armed and I say "YES" I figured I had a little safety net in a gun store, plus I was not as familar with Florida Law as I am VA. He then asked me to leave and put the gun in my car. I walked out and did not come back.






  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    SouthernBoy wrote:
    Are you willing to tell us which gun shop this was?
    sure.. Loudoun Guns.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  13. #13
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    ed wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    Are you willing to tell us which gun shop this was?
    sure.. Loudoun Guns.
    Loudoun Guns is uncomfortable with customers OC'ing? Strange... I've OC'd there several times in the past.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County VA, ,
    Posts
    207

    Post imported post

    I've been to a local store whose name I won't mention, where I was told by a counterperson that I probably shouldn't carry at all after I answered his "Why don't you sign up for a CHP class, since you don't have one?" with, "Because I won't qualify for one for another 4 years".

    I was OC condition 0 (or whatever one chambered with an M&P pistol is).

  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    SouthernBoy wrote:
    ed wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    Are you willing to tell us which gun shop this was?
    sure.. Loudoun Guns.
    Loudoun Guns is uncomfortable with customers OC'ing? Strange... I've OC'd there several times in the past.
    That's not at all what I said.. I said that is where I walked in where some chick was checking out a gun and aiming right towards the door as soon as I walked in.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682

    Post imported post

    The indoor range in Richmond (Chesterfield County) across the street from the VSP HQ does not allow loaded guns inside the door, but puts their unloading barrel inside the door.

    Yes, they have had a few doofi ventilate the counters and ceiling - check out the row of cartridge cases/shotshells above the sign-in counter and ask for the stories.

    However, as of the last conversation I had there, they don't have a care one way or another about how you carry.

    My own thoughts are that the bigger the "operator" status one claims, the more opposed one is to Open Carry. Part of that seems to be related to being a CHP instructor who is looking for clients (no Jim, that was not directed at you), and part of it is "I'm an operator - I only do tacticool things tacticoolly."

    stay safe.

    skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  17. #17
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    skidmark wrote:
    My own thoughts are that the bigger the "operator" status one claims, the more opposed one is to Open Carry. Part of that seems to be related to being a CHP instructor who is looking for clients (no Jim, that was not directed at you), and part of it is "I'm an operator - I only do tacticool things tacticoolly."

    stay safe.

    skidmark
    Actually, I get more customers by openly carrying because they see the gun and ask questions. If my gun is concealed, no one knows to ask.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Culpeper, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    305

    Post imported post

    SouthernBoy wrote:
    Regular_Joe wrote:
    I had such a great experience at the last OC dinner in Richmond that it confirmed my desire to arrange a similar event in the Culpeper/Warrenton area. I have a few friends that will attend and I decided to stop by a few local gun shops to float the idea around.

    I was surprised to find a gun shop that seemed not just indifferent but uncomfortable with the OC idea. And this was the shop that I purchased my handgun at! The friendly gun shop dude kept bringing up how easy it is to obtain a CHP in VA, and why would anyone want to OC when they can CC. The more I mentioned the 2A, the more they looked at me as if I was trying to make trouble for the gun industry.

    It isn't that I expected them to jump over the counter and lift me up on their shoulders (although throwing free ammo at my feet would be acceptable), but I did expect a far different response. I'm going to visit all the gun shops in the area to see if there is a trend in the response.

    In general, are gun shops/ranges supportive of OC and 2A, or is there some cultural difference in play?

    I was hoping to link the local gun community together, but it looks like I have more to learn!
    Are you willing to tell us which gun shop this was?

    Also, where might you be thinking of holding a get together?
    Before I point out the name, I should track down the owner and make sure that I am getting the store policy, not a reaction from the employees.

    The OC event would be in Culpeper, location To Be Determined (or could be an Irish Pub in Warrenton where my daughter works).




  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    My shop Guns and Ammo Warehouse, has no problem with OC or CCW so long as it stays in the holster.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Leesburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    30

    Post imported post

    If I remember correctly, Silver Eagle Group has a sign that says something to the effect of 'no loaded firearms' posted at their entrance. I haven't been there in a while but I can swing by there and check - need an excuse to get some practice in anyway...

    No issues at Purcell Guns in Purcellville.

  21. #21
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    ed wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    ed wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    Are you willing to tell us which gun shop this was?
    sure.. Loudoun Guns.
    Loudoun Guns is uncomfortable with customers OC'ing? Strange... I've OC'd there several times in the past.
    That's not at all what I said.. I said that is where I walked in where some chick was checking out a gun and aiming right towards the door as soon as I walked in.
    Ed, I think our lines are crossed here. I was not asking about your experience but rather which gun shop Regular_Joe had had some problems with.

    As to your comments about gun shops and both customers and counter people mishandling firearms yep, I've have seen this quite a bit as well. You would think people who works there would keep an eye on things and not allow this sort of behavior. I have been standing at a counter, looking over the displays when to one of my sides I notice out of the corner of my eye a gun pointed in my direction. If I were working that counter, that gun would never get into that position. You do have to wonder.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    falls church, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    55

    Post imported post

    there are alot of angry mother ******* working in sharp shooters

    better go to viginia arms or blue ridge arsenal



  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Culpeper, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    305

    Post imported post

    led for breakfast wrote:
    there are alot of angry mother @#$%ers working in sharp shooters

    better go to viginia arms or blue ridge arsenal

    I used Blue Ridge Arsenal's range today for the first time. They confirmed that they didn't mind customer's OC'ing or CC'ing, although they prefer folks don't use cross draw holsters.

  24. #24
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    SouthernBoy wrote:
    I have been standing at a counter, looking over the displays when to one of my sides I notice out of the corner of my eye a gun pointed in my direction.
    I've gone into A&P in Virginia Beach and nearly had to duck when some yutz leveled a gun in my direction. Not behind the counter, but a customer... however the CSR didn't seem too concerned, which concerned me a bit I should say.

    Superior Pawn near Aragona has a "No Loaded Weapons" policy. That, the sanctimoniousness of their staff and their exorbitant prices on accessories and do-dads have kept me from returning.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County VA, ,
    Posts
    207

    Post imported post

    led for breakfast wrote:
    there are alot of angry mother @#$%ers working in sharp shooters

    better go to viginia arms or blue ridge arsenal

    Huh? They're always nice to me, and it's always the same 3 people. Guy with facial hair, short-haired guy, and woman with short hair.


    Edit: bald guy = short-haired guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •