• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry and Gun Shops

Regular_Joe

imported post

I had such a great experience at the last OC dinner in Richmond that it confirmed my desire to arrange a similar event in the Culpeper/Warrenton area. I have a few friends that will attend and I decided to stop by a few local gun shops to float the idea around.

I was surprised to find a gun shop that seemed not just indifferent but uncomfortable with the OC idea. And this was the shop that I purchased my handgun at! The friendly gun shop dude kept bringing up how easy it is to obtain a CHP in VA, and why would anyone want to OC when they can CC. The more I mentioned the 2A, the more they looked at me as if I was trying to make trouble for the gun industry.

It isn't that I expected them to jump over the counter and lift me up on their shoulders (although throwing free ammo at my feet would be acceptable), but I did expect a far different response. I'm going to visit all the gun shops in the area to see if there is a trend in the response.

In general, are gun shops/ranges supportive of OC and 2A, or is there some cultural difference in play?

I was hoping to link the local gun community together, but it looks like I have more to learn!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
I had such a great experience at the last OC dinner in Richmond that it confirmed my desire to arrange a similar event in the Culpeper/Warrenton area. I have a few friends that will attend and I decided to stop by a few local gun shops to float the idea around.

I was surprised to find a gun shop that seemed not just indifferent but uncomfortable with the OC idea. And this was the shop that I purchased my handgun at! The friendly gun shop dude kept bringing up how easy it is to obtain a CHP in VA, and why would anyone want to OC when they can CC. The more I mentioned the 2A, the more they looked at me as if I was trying to make trouble for the gun industry.

It isn't that I expected them to jump over the counter and lift me up on their shoulders (although throwing free ammo at my feet would be acceptable), but I did expect a far different response. I'm going to visit all the gun shops in the area to see if there is a trend in the response.

In general, are gun shops/ranges supportive of OC and 2A, or is there some cultural difference in play?

I was hoping to link the local gun community together, but it looks like I have more to learn!
Joe, gunowners are tied by a common bond, Guns!

That said, we don't all get along or even recognize each others rights.
The best we can hope for is to vote as a block and choose our friends carefully.

hunter45

imported post

The gun shops that I've OC'ed at in NOVA are completely fine with OC (Guns & Ammo, Virginia Arms, Loudoun Guns).

nova

imported post

I only know of one gun shop in NoVA that has a no loaded guns sign, it is Sharpshooters (formerly Gilberts). Apparently it is because someone came in long ago with a loaded firearm and started trying out holsters with it.:uhoh:

I've been meaning to send a PM to the manager (who posts on a diff. site) and maybe discuss the possibility of revising their policy to allow people to carry on the condition that "loaded firearms must remain holstered at all times in store" or something to that extent.

That said, I've OC'd unloaded several times, no odd looks. For that matter I've OC'd while still loaded since I forgot to unload beforehand and they didn't say anything. I have however heard of a member on this site getting yelled at for OCing loaded. Maybe they just know me well enough to not mind?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Regular_Joe wrote
I was surprised to find a gun shop that seemed not just indifferent but uncomfortable with the OC idea.
I too have noticed this and questioned a friend of mine at a range. He said it is because of idiots with guns. They handle loaded guns in "no handle areas" and point in all directions.

What are the rules? 1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction, 2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. 3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded when not in use.

Go to most ant gun shop on a busy Saturday and you will see #1 and #2 broken ALL DAY LONG by the prospective customer AND the salesman. They are not there to teach 5min gun safety 101, they are there to SELL. If selling means let the person look down the barrel and dry fire.. so be it. I walked into a woman's "aim" in Leesburg and the moment I caught it, I quickly ducked! They all laughed until I told them they are lucky I only ducked instead of drew on her! Then they realized that it was not a laughing matter. I was simply walking in and had no real situation awareness at the time and as soon as I panned left.. I see a pistol barrel 10 feet away.

Some of the same folks that cut you off on the highway or don't wait their turn at stop signs or throw their cigarette butts out the window have/use guns too... I think THAT is why many gun shops and ranges feel like this.

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

ed wrote:
Regular_Joe wrote
I was surprised to find a gun shop that seemed not just indifferent but uncomfortable with the OC idea.
I too have noticed this and questioned a friend of mine at a range. He said it is because of idiots with guns. They handle loaded guns in "no handle areas" and point in all directions.

What are the rules? 1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction, 2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. 3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded when not in use.

Go to most ant gun shop on a busy Saturday and you will see #1 and #2 broken ALL DAY LONG by the prospective customer AND the salesman.  They are not there to teach 5min gun safety 101, they are there to SELL. If selling means let the person look down the barrel and dry fire.. so be it. I walked into a woman's "aim" in Leesburg and the moment I caught it, I quickly ducked! They all laughed until I told them they are lucky I only ducked instead of drew on her! Then they realized that it was not a laughing matter. I was simply walking in and had no real situation awareness at the time and as soon as I panned left.. I see a pistol barrel 10 feet away.

Some of the same folks that cut you off on the highway or don't wait their turn at stop signs or throw their cigarette butts out the window have/use guns too... I think THAT is why many gun shops and ranges feel like this.
+1

Sad but true. Idiots ruin it for the rest of us. And the best intentions can be destroyed by one instance of carelessness. In short, I don't always like the "no loaded guns" policy, but I understand.

Regular_Joe

imported post

ed wrote:
Regular_Joe wrote

Go to most ant gun shop on a busy Saturday and you will see #1 and #2 broken ALL DAY LONG by the prospective customer AND the salesman. They are not there to teach 5min gun safety 101, they are there to SELL. If selling means let the person look down the barrel and dry fire.. so be it. I walked into a woman's "aim" in Leesburg and the moment I caught it, I quickly ducked! They all laughed until I told them they are lucky I only ducked instead of drew on her! Then they realized that it was not a laughing matter. I was simply walking in and had no real situation awareness at the time and as soon as I panned left.. I see a pistol barrel 10 feet away.

Thanks - does explain a lot.

There are some shops that are very welcoming, while others seem to have a skeptical nature - knowing that they have to deal with us idiot customers helps put the attitude in perspective.

I guess the best approach is to have some credibility, to distance yourself away from the uninformed customer. Something to think about.

usaf0906

imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
ed wrote:
Regular_Joe wrote

Thanks - does explain a lot.

There are some shops that are very welcoming, while others seem to have a skeptical nature - knowing that they have to deal with us idiot customers helps put the attitude in perspective.

I guess the best approach is to have some credibility, to distance yourself away from the uninformed customer. Something to think about.
It might be worth mentioning, some of these shops teach CC classes. Their "anti-OC" might be based on the fact that if more people OC, less money for them.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:

Are you willing to tell us which gun shop this was?

Also, where might you be thinking of holding a get together?

rob99vmi04

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I OC in numerous gun shops and have never been questioned.

Most gun shops/Ranges in NOVA are pretty good an I have never had a problem nor does anybody care to even mention OC unless they are curious what youare carrying.

VA Arms, BRA, SEG, NRA, G/A Warehouse, haven't been to the "company formerly known as Gilberts" so no comment.

Other states-----Florida for example. I was down their this summer on my late honeymoon went into a gunstore in Jacksonville they had everything from reloading to class III items and everything in between. Granted this was Concealed notOC.

I was in Florida in the late summer I was carrying off body (which I was doing since I was in netted shorts an flip flops. I walked into the store to look for primers. Asked the clerk if he had any powder or primers. He asked me if I was armed and I say "YES" I figured I had a little safety net in a gun store, plus I was not as familar with Florida Law as I am VA. He then asked me to leave and put the gun in my car. I walked out and did not come back.

Wangmuf

imported post

I've been to a local store whose name I won't mention, where I was told by a counterperson that I probably shouldn't carry at all after I answered his "Why don't you sign up for a CHP class, since you don't have one?" with, "Because I won't qualify for one for another 4 years".

I was OC condition 0 (or whatever one chambered with an M&P pistol is).

ed

Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
ed wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
sure.. Loudoun Guns.
Loudoun Guns is uncomfortable with customers OC'ing? Strange... I've OC'd there several times in the past.
That's not at all what I said.. I said that is where I walked in where some chick was checking out a gun and aiming right towards the door as soon as I walked in.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The indoor range in Richmond (Chesterfield County) across the street from the VSP HQ does not allow loaded guns inside the door, but puts their unloading barrel inside the door.

Yes, they have had a few doofi ventilate the counters and ceiling - check out the row of cartridge cases/shotshells above the sign-in counter and ask for the stories.

However, as of the last conversation I had there, they don't have a care one way or another about how you carry.

My own thoughts are that the bigger the "operator" status one claims, the more opposed one is to Open Carry. Part of that seems to be related to being a CHP instructor who is looking for clients (no Jim, that was not directed at you), and part of it is "I'm an operator - I only do tacticool things tacticoolly."

stay safe.

skidmark

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

skidmark wrote:
My own thoughts are that the bigger the "operator" status one claims, the more opposed one is to Open Carry. Part of that seems to be related to being a CHP instructor who is looking for clients (no Jim, that was not directed at you), and part of it is "I'm an operator - I only do tacticool things tacticoolly."

stay safe.

skidmark
Actually, I get more customers by openly carrying because they see the gun and ask questions. If my gun is concealed, no one knows to ask. :)

Regular_Joe

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Regular_Joe wrote:

Also, where might you be thinking of holding a get together?
Before I point out the name, I should track down the owner and make sure that I am getting the store policy, not a reaction from the employees.

The OC event would be in Culpeper, location To Be Determined (or could be an Irish Pub in Warrenton where my daughter works).

longwatch

imported post

My shop Guns and Ammo Warehouse, has no problem with OC or CCW so long as it stays in the holster.

Floyd

imported post

If I remember correctly, Silver Eagle Group has a sign that says something to the effect of 'no loaded firearms' posted at their entrance. I haven't been there in a while but I can swing by there and check - need an excuse to get some practice in anyway...

No issues at Purcell Guns in Purcellville.