• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Georgia Non-Residents License

dogear6

imported post

Does Georgia have a non-residents license for CWP/CHP? My Virginia license does not have reciprocity and I do not think I will have the Utah non-resident approval before my next trip to Atlanta.

I've looked all over the Internet and it seems like Georgia does not have a non-resident permit that I can find.

rmodel65

imported post

GA doesnt issue Non Res license so you cant even carry in the car unless you do it openly... and according to current case law its pretty much impossible

GA does honor PA and NH non resident license though iirc Center County in PA will get you a license fairly quick so you can be legal to carry.... (if your by any chance military you can carry in GA without a Georgia Firearms license)

GCO has sued the state to try and force non resident license they have filed for reconsideration http://www.georgiacarry.com/county/fulton_nonres/

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
GA doesnt issue Non Res license so you cant even carry in the car unless you do it openly... and according to current case law its pretty much impossible
huh? We are tracking GA allowing unlicensed glove box and opern carry in you vehicle - what do you not agree with and why?

rmodel65

imported post

Mike wrote:
rmodel65 wrote:
huh? We are tracking GA allowing unlicensed glove box and opern carry in you vehicle - what do you not agree with and why?
Maybe Malum will be along to explain it better that I but ive read that since he isnt eligible for the GFL(because he doesnt meet the residency requirement) he must OC and with current case law its almost impossible to OC in a car

http://georgiapacking.org/caselaw/rossvstate.htm

A handgun "half-hidden" in the backseat "is not 'fully exposed' and therefore constitutes an illegal concealed weapon."

http://georgiapacking.org/caselaw/parrishvstate.htm

A gun visibly protruding from under the driver's seat violates the law unless one has a firearms license. "This law's purpose is to compel persons carrying such weapons to display them so that others, knowing they were armed and dangerous, could avoid them."

http://georgiapacking.org/caselaw/lindseyvstate.htm

Motorist arrested for carrying a concealed weapon after police officer observed a handgun in the open side pocket of his passenger door during a traffic stop.

http://georgiapacking.org/caselaw/summerlinvstate.htm
After stopping a car that had been reported as being the getaway car during a theft, an officer breifly questioned and then requested the driver exit the vehicle. The butt of a firearm was then seen sticking out between the driver and passenger seat. The gun was fully concealed by the driver before exiting and partially concealed after exiting. Conviction of carrying a concealed weapon was upheld.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Mike wrote:
dogear6 wrote:
Does Georgia have a non-residents license for CWP/CHP?
No - contact Georgiacarry.org and ask to be a Plaintiff to sue

Mike, technically in Georgia carrying in the car is considered concealed carry (as it is in a lot of states) and requires a license. Georgia recognizes many out of state licenses. There are some exceptions in the statute, including now ANY carry in an automobile, but the exceptions, if you read closely, are all for people not enumerated as ineligible for a license.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=126
(e)This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129 from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle.
I do not know whether being ineligible due to being a nonresident is the same thing as being enumerated as ineligible, since the enumeration all seems to appear down in subsection b of 16-11-129, and nonresidency is not enumerated, but a nonresident is not eligible.

I am not aware of a nonresident being arrested for glovebox carry in Georgia, and there is no case law addressing this issue.

GeorgiaCarry.Org has a lawsuit pending, which we lost and is now under a motion for reconsideration, seeking to force a probate judge to issue a license to a Wisconsin resident who is ineligible to carry in Georgia (he drives a relative's car when here, and case law is clear that the exception for cars applies only to your own car).

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Mike wrote:
rmodel65 wrote:
this is the one I meant to quote . . .